Thread: Durham Bulls

Durham Bulls

This is a pre draft article before the deeds went down the other night that mentions several Duke players in the NBA. http://nwherald.com/articles/2008/06...8902040042.txt I have a couple of questions and anyone may answer, you don't have to be an NBA expert.

1st: The article says Duhon is a free agent, when does (or did) the free agent market open up and has anyone heard of possible destinations for Chris next year?

2nd: The article states Boozer and Brand will both be free agents after next year and mentions Chicago as a possible destination for either one. Although I find it odd thinking of Brand being traded from the team that drafted him and returning as a free agent, anything is possible. Time will tell if he has healed but what would be the lure of either player going to Chicago? I don't consider either a true center and the Bulls have as many power forwards as they do guards right now. Boozer was labeled a turn coat after the confusion with the Cavs, I would think he would want to show loyalty to the Jazz.

3rd: The article says the Bulls didn't pick up the five year add on for Deng or Gordon. Del Negro stated something about needing to work out their contracts before the season. But what are the chances of Deng being traded or Gordon as they were the Bulls two leading scorers last season?

I don't have an NBA team I tend to pull for whatever team has the most Duke players. Just wondering if I need anymore Bulls gear or I need gear from some other team. (I have too much Clippers gear thank you very much!)

I haven't heard where Duhon is likely to end up but the consensus seems to be he won't be back in Chicago.

As for Brand or Boozer to the Bulls, this is the first I've heard mention of Boozer being interested in Chicago. While Chicago is larger market than Utah but I wouldn't think that he would risk going from a rock solid franchise where he is the star and surrounded but good talent to go to the Bulls which are in complete disarray and likely to completely redo their roster this year. Brand might have some interest (although the rumors are that he want to go to Miami). He wouldn't risk as much as Boozer since the Clippers already suck plus haven't lived in Chicago already, he may prefer the familiarity.

I'm betting that Deng stays in Chicago. After all of the refusing to trade him hoopla last year, I don't see management letting him get away now. Too much crow to eat if you ask me. Gordon is another story. They obviously are going to try to make Rose the focus of the future and with so many other guards, someone has to go. Hinrich has a bing contract and has been mentioned in a lot of trade rumors but Gordon might have more trade value. I think that they need to trade both and try to get a veteran backup (Duhon might actually fit the bill and wouldn't cost to much) to show Rose the ropes and bigger 2 guard that can play better defense than Gordon but is also a decent scorer.

Anyway, my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    1st: The article says Duhon is a free agent, when does (or did) the free agent market open up and has anyone heard of possible destinations for Chris next year?
    Yes, Duhon is a free agent. Free agency doesn't begin until July 1, when the NBA begins its new fiscal year. There is a "wooing" period, during which no contracts may be signed. I believe this lasts until July 9. After that, free agents are free to do as they please. Given that Rose was drafted by the Bulls and given Duhon's problems with the team last year, I'll be shocked if Duhon is a Bull next year. I'm sure several teams will be interested in him as a solid backup PG, but I don't know who yet.

2nd: The article states Boozer and Brand will both be free agents after next year and mentions Chicago as a possible destination for either one. Although I find it odd thinking of Brand being traded from the team that drafted him and returning as a free agent, anything is possible. Time will tell if he has healed but what would be the lure of either player going to Chicago? I don't consider either a true center and the Bulls have as many power forwards as they do guards right now. Boozer was labeled a turn coat after the confusion with the Cavs, I would think he would want to show loyalty to the Jazz.
    Brand and Boozer would certainly address the Bulls' need for a low post scoring presence. However, with Deng and Gordon in limbo and with Hughes, Gooden, and Hinrich signed to expensive deals, I can't imagine that the Bulls have the cap space to sign either as a free agent. That doesn't rule out a sign and trade, though. But like Duhon, I don't see either of those two coming to Chicago. That's an Illinois paper just throwing out possible names Chicago targets. I think it's a pipedream to land either of those guys.

3rd: The article says the Bulls didn't pick up the five year add on for Deng or Gordon. Del Negro stated something about needing to work out their contracts before the season. But what are the chances of Deng being traded or Gordon as they were the Bulls two leading scorers last season?

I don't have an NBA team I tend to pull for whatever team has the most Duke players. Just wondering if I need anymore Bulls gear or I need gear from some other team. (I have too much Clippers gear thank you very much!)
    The Bulls couldn't agree to a contract extension last year. This year, both Deng and Gordon are restricted free agents. The Bulls will certainly make qualifying offers for both. At that point, the players can either take those offers (which would make them unrestricted free agents next year) or play the market this year. If they play the market this year, then teams can offer them contracts. The Bulls can then match those contracts, let them go as free agents, or do a sign-and-trade.

It sounds like the Bulls want very much to keep both players. I can't imagine that they'll do so with Gordon now that Rose is on board. The team was undersized when they had Hinrich as the starting PG (and Hinrich was capable of defending SG). With Rose and Gordon, neither is capable of defending the SG spot. But I suspect the team will make every effort to resign both players, with Deng being the primary target.

In other news...

related to the Bulls and Duke, it appears that Jay Williams is no longer looking to make a comeback to the NBA:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...,7040093.story

This was probably a given, considering that he hasn't played an NBA regular season game in five years. But this is the first I've seen him quoted in "print" saying he's not looking to come back.

Durham Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    related to the Bulls and Duke, it appears that Jay Williams is no longer looking to make a comeback to the NBA:

This was probably a given, considering that he hasn't played an NBA regular season game in five years. But this is the first I've seen him quoted in "print" saying he's not looking to come back.
    And here I thought this was going to be a thread about minor league baseball

I was sorry to read the above about Jason losing his desire to play in the NBA. But if he's happy, I'm happy.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Bummer But Expected

From someone who messed his knee up on a motorcycle when I was 19 and could never jump anywhere near as well I feel for the guy. Williams is one of those guys we will always wonder what might have been. Thanks for posting the article. From everything I have heard he is lucky to be alive. The Bulls paid out his contract when they could have just cut ties. And he has a degree from Duke, so he could be in much worse situations. Here's hoping to see him more on TV, especially ESPN if for no other reason that make Maryland fans cringe every time they see him.

Wow...I didn't realize it has been more than 5 years since the accident.

From someone who messed his knee up on a motorcycle when I was 19 and could never jump anywhere near as well I feel for the guy. Williams is one of those guys we will always wonder what might have been. Thanks for posting the article. From everything I have heard he is lucky to be alive. The Bulls paid out his contract when they could have just cut ties. And he has a degree from Duke, so he could be in much worse situations. Here's hoping to see him more on TV, especially ESPN if for no other reason that make Maryland fans cringe every time they see him.
    Yeah, I'm glad he's come to terms with things. He's very lucky to be alive. It's very sad that such a promising career was cut short, but at least he is still alive and seems content with everything.

Duhon - Possible destinations for Duhon are Miami where he could possibly be a starter for a couple of years or Phoenix where he could be the primary backup to Nash. New York is also looking for PG help.

Boozer - I had mentioned this on another thread but Boozer's son, because of his sickle cell anemia, can't travel to high altitude which would clearly include Salt Lake City. That means that during the season Carlos gets limited time with his family as long as he's playing in Utah. Boozer has a home in Miami where his family lives year round and, until the Heat drafted Beasley, there was speculation that they would make a run at Carlos next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Duhon - Possible destinations for Duhon are Miami where he could possibly be a starter for a couple of years or Phoenix where he could be the primary backup to Nash. New York is also looking for PG help.

Boozer - I had mentioned this on another thread but Boozer's son, because of his sickle cell anemia, can't travel to high altitude which would clearly include Salt Lake City. That means that during the season Carlos gets limited time with his family as long as he's playing in Utah. Boozer has a home in Miami where his family lives year round and, until the Heat drafted Beasley, there was speculation that they would make a run at Carlos next summer.
    Don't write off Miami trading Beasley. They may have drafted him in order to facilitate a sign and trade deal down the road. It sounded like they wanted to shop the pick but presumably no one made a good enough offer. With more time to work, they may be able to find a team that is afraid of loosing one of their veteran free agents and make a deal. Obviously Brand and Boozer could fit that situation.

now that they have rose, i think that the bulls will trade hinrich to a team that needs a pass first point...possibly LA clips (if shaun doesnt seem like he will be ready), new york (with all of those scorers, they need someone who can defend and pass the ball), denver (they wanted lawson but didnt get him; same situation as ny), sacramento (singletary is a back up at best) or washington (if arenas walks).

we need to let ben go in free agency and concentrate on luol b/c hughes is at least servicable on the wing (plus you could always go big with andres at the wing). i would much rather keep ben but i think he wants too much for what he is: a short shooter.