Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...name=bilas_jay

"I am aware of the drinking games that are based upon the use of such terms, and I did my level best to reduce binge drinking across the country."
    OK, I need help translating Jay. I read this as his dry, self-deprecating humor and to be translated as saying "I realize I had been saying 'long' and 'upside' so much you could make a damn drinking game out of my commentary".

If ya'll did not know-- Jay Bilas reads the DBR and the boards. I am not sure how often he does it but it is not impossible to think that he is aware of drinking games surrounding his comments because we have commented on such on this bulletin board.

--Jason "it ain't impossible" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -- Jay Bilas reads the DBR and the boards.

--Jason "it ain't impossible" Evans
    Yes, but I don't think he truly moderated his vocabulary in an effort to curtail "binge drinking." The reference to binge drinking is sheer hyperbole, an exaggeration of how much he had used the terms - such that if one attempted to play a drinking game based upon his overuse of the terms, it would have led to a binge drinking episode.

I view it as his way of acknowledging that he had slipped into a bad habit or two, to the extent it was the subject of good natured kidding via the drinking game mentions. Jay's choice of language was prompted more by his professionalism than anything else. His mention of the drinking game was to poke fun at himself and perhaps as a shout out to the DBR BB.

If Jay was trying to curtail binge drinking, he may have caused more harm than good. If he refuses to re-use certain words enough to make it a decent and fun drinking experience, we may have to switch back to Dickie V and "baby" or one of the other eight words that comprise his entire vocabulary. At least with Jay, you could usually avoid losing consciousness and would never have to have your stomach pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If he refuses to re-use certain words enough to make it a decent and fun drinking experience, we may have to switch back to Dickie V and "baby" or one of the other eight words that comprise his entire vocabulary.
    Have you ever considered... NOT defining your alcohol intake on the word choice of a sports commentator? I've heard some people just drink at their leisure and quit when (or a little after) they're full.

Anyway, I agree with you, BD80. I think Jay Bilas is increasingly aware of his tendency to slip up on these occasions and become a self-made cliche, rather than pursuing words more robust and refreshing. Here's hoping he shuns what's on tap and keeps mixing it up in future drafts.