McCallie gets recruit

"According to ESPN's Hoopgurlz, Alexis Rogers, ranked no. 91 in the country for the 2009 class, verbally committed to play basketball for Duke. The 6-foot-1 senior for Lakota West picked Duke because she wants the chance to be a part of the new tradition being built under Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie. Rogers also liked that McCallie didn't just talk to her about her strengths but also the areas she needs to improve on "[McCallie] sold me on consistency," Rogers said. "

That is good news. Thanks for the information. What other prospects are we pursuing?
    Bob Green

Different

Women's BB recruiting is obviously very different since it appears that very few of the top 100 women have committed yet, which is probably a good thing.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncw/recru...6season%3d2009

Four out of the top 20 players are from Texas, which bodes well for Coach G. Last year Duke recruited numbers 13, 21, and 62, and I assume they are looking at a number of other players in the top 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    That is good news. Thanks for the information. What other prospects are we pursuing?
    Yeah... Top 30 couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Yeah... Top 30 couldn't hurt.
    Top 80 beats #91. Let's give McCallie time and see if she can recruit top ranked players.

Wow! What a mega drop! We go from recruiting only the top 10 or 15 players in the country to recruiting the top 100. Two of P's three recruits have been ranked in the 60s and 90s. Folks, that's unacceptable. Maybe it's good for MSU, but Duke is not MSU.

I can't believe she's wasting money recruiting kids ranked in the 90s...

With the assistants doing most of the recruiting this may be it.

Quote Originally Posted by bludev03 View Post
    Wow! What a mega drop! We go from recruiting only the top 10 or 15 players in the country to recruiting the top 100. Two of P's three recruits have been ranked in the 60s and 90s. Folks, that's unacceptable. Maybe it's good for MSU, but Duke is not MSU.

I was going to point out something along these lines. I think Kevin White's first big hire will be Coach P's replacement in a couple or three years I'm not impressed with her recruiting so far. I'll leave it at that.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Options

Quote Originally Posted by bludev03 View Post

I am as doubtful as anyone, but the question about a player who's ranked towards the end of the top 100 is whether the coaching staff is looking at him or her as a role player or as a prime time player.

If it's option number one then that's fine, but if not...

Ummm, guys, could we maybe wait to see the kids *play* a little bit before we start writing off the recruiting class?

Ok, sure, this one recruit is not a top 20 recruit. Blah, blah, blah, recruiting rankings meaningless, blah. For the record, we are at the moment in the running for the #3, 4, 10, 14, 16, and 17 out of the top 25 alone. Of those 25, 5 have committed, and 4 don't even have any schools listed.

Every school looks for a wide range of kids who meet their criteria and what the coach's preferred style of play is, including those ranked #100 from the class. Now, admittedly, we're possibly going to be set for a while for shooters, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how things pan out.

Personally, I say welcome to Alexis, it's great to have you on!

M.H.