Potential Draft Moves and an Old Duke Myth

As a Duke alum living in South Florida, I am quite amused by the latest rumors on potential draft day moves. Specifically, some are saying the Heat are not interested in Beasley and are looking for ways to trade the #2 pick. This disinterest is based in part on Beasley's reputation as a not-so-serious player, and also on Miami's very strong interest in perhaps the two hotest PF free agents coming up this year -- Brand and Boozer.

This article -- http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=3459696 -- states that the Heat could make a trade with the Clippers (#2 and Marion for #7 and Brand), but that it would force the Heat to weigh their interest for Brand over Boozer.

Whatever happens with the Heat (last year was my first with season tickets -- ugh), it is nice to see that Duke can in fact produce NBA big men.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymf7 View Post
    As a Duke alum living in South Florida, I am quite amused by the latest rumors on potential draft day moves. Specifically, some are saying the Heat are not interested in Beasley and are looking for ways to trade the #2 pick. This disinterest is based in part on Beasley's reputation as a not-so-serious player, and also on Miami's very strong interest in perhaps the two hotest PF free agents coming up this year -- Brand and Boozer.

This article -- http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=3459696 -- states that the Heat could make a trade with the Clippers (#2 and Marion for #7 and Brand), but that it would force the Heat to weigh their interest for Brand over Boozer.

Whatever happens with the Heat (last year was my first with season tickets -- ugh), it is nice to see that Duke can in fact produce NBA big men.
    I personally hope that Miami decides to go with Brand. I think that Boozer has a good thing going in Utah and I would hate to seem him give that up. I am also concerned that if Boozer leaves Utah it will be perceived that he ditched them like Cleavland and he has just gotten his reputation back on track. For Brand, it looks like, after a couple of solid seasons, the Clippers are back in disarray and it would be nice to see Brand on a team that has a shot to make the playoffs and possible contend for a championship. I'm tired of waiting for things to come together for the Clippers. Plus if Brand was to end up in the East, he wouldn't be competing against Boozer for an all-star spot.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I personally hope that Miami decides to go with Brand. I think that Boozer has a good thing going in Utah and I would hate to seem him give that up. I am also concerned that if Boozer leaves Utah it will be perceived that he ditched them like Cleavland and he has just gotten his reputation back on track. For Brand, it looks like, after a couple of solid seasons, the Clippers are back in disarray and it would be nice to see Brand on a team that has a shot to make the playoffs and possible contend for a championship. I'm tired of waiting for things to come together for the Clippers. Plus if Brand was to end up in the East, he wouldn't be competing against Boozer for an all-star spot.
    Did Brand sign with Miami a few years back, only to have the Clippers match the offer? If that was the case I think it would be very likely he would want to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    Did Brand sign with Miami a few years back, only to have the Clippers match the offer? If that was the case I think it would be very likely he would want to go there.
    Yeah, that's what happened. Good point. Also, can Shawn Marion ever get some respect? Brand is good, but Marion is too. I'd personally rather have Marion and a #2 draft pick than Brand.

Lots of options

Yes, Brand signed with Miami as a restricted free agent and the Clippers matched before Miami acquired Shaq. Boozer also happens to have a house in Miami (not sure why -- maybe he wanted to get as far from Alaska as possible). Either way, there are ties.

Miami will be in play for a serious free agent after this year without giving up the #2 -- they have big, big expiring contracts in Marion, Williams and Davis after this year. Over $30 million freeing up. Of course, they could send some portion of those contracts away to get an asset this year.

Tough call here, though. I think they should take Beasley and let him play for part of the year anyway. Miami gives up nothing and while he will likely not be as good as Booz or Brand the first year, he will be a lot cheaper. Miami then has flexibility during the season to use expiring contracts to get one of these great PFs or whatever else they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymf7 View Post
    Miami gives up nothing and while he will likely not be as good as Booz or Brand the first year, he will be a lot cheaper.
    Likely?

There's no chance in Chapel Hell that Beasley will be as good as Brand or Boozer his first year!

...and FYI, I don't even like Brand. Avery made the '99 team... most underrated player in Duke Hoops history! OK, I've had too much wine to be posting. I'm outtie.

Boozer's son

I seem to remember hearing that Boozer's son is being treated in Florida. Would make for a lot less travel if he lived there. Perhaps someone could find a link.

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Likely?
    There's no chance in Chapel Hell that Beasley will be as good as Brand or Boozer his first year!
    I could be wrong, but doesn't Brand still have to prove himself after the Achilles injury? Maybe I am drinking the Kool-Aid a bit too much (should switch to your wine), but it sounds like Beasley could have an impressive first year (at least in individual stats if given the touches -- who knows about team success).

I would love to have Boozer or Brand here, but I hope the Heat do not give up rights to an uncommon talent like Beasley on the cheap because it "expects" to land one of these PFs.

Don't the Heat love Mayo, though? Is there anyone they are willing to trade down with where they can possibly get a great player in the trade and Mayo?

I know this would never happen, but an example would be to trade Marion and the number two to Minnesota for Al Jefferson and the number three? Then Miami would be able to keep their superstar (Wade), trade a slightly under-sized budget-hogging power forward (Marion) for a under-rated less-paid up-in-coming center (Jefferson), and get the player they want (Mayo). The line-up of Mayo, Wade, Wright (or Cook), Haslem, and Jefferson would be very nice to have.

Would love that, but...

As bad as McHale is, I think that is going too far. Jefferson -- the only real asset they got for Garnett -- is not going anywhere. He especially will not be traded for the expiring contract of Marion (who reportedly wants a huge amount of money if he re-signs at the end of the year), even if Beasley is at play with the #2. Minny would riot.

but you did say it...he's pretty bad

oh well, one can dream

The Heat may love Mayo, but Heat makes Mayo go bad.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    The Heat may love Mayo, but Heat makes Mayo go bad.
    Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Cool seeing Nolan's mom interviewed after MB was drafted. Are Beasley's parents still around at all?

Beasley's Mom

Yes, they are. An article said that Beasley put hot sauce in his 4 year old sister's food at a recent luncheon with David Stern. Beasley's mom made a comment that she could not discipline him for doing that because it was a "dignified affair." Not sure what that means.

I hear Nolan and Beasley are best friends. Here's hoping Nolan gets a chance to join his friend in the league in 2 years.