Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red face Chiggers Love Me

I went out to get the mail. In the two minutes that I spent outside in my flip-flops, I received 11 (feels like 1100) chigger bites on my ankles.

Questions:
    1) What does one do to get rid of chiggers?
    2) What does one do to get rid of those itchy bites? Is it a different philosophy of attack from what one does with mosquito bites?

There are a bunch of folk remedies, but what are you really supposed to do? I know what to do with leeches, but chiggers I have never figured out.

Thanks,
    Lavabe

Paint over the spot with nail polish. Clear is usually best, unless you like to appear strange or artistic.

Nail polish, Benadryl cream, calamine lotion, tried them all and nothing seems to really work.

Hate chiggers.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Paint over the spot with nail polish. Clear is usually best, unless you like to appear strange or artistic.
    I heard that the clear nail polish routine is good for sealing the chigger bite from the air, which cuts down on itchiness.

It didn't work last night. Guess I ought to try red polish?

I've also tried rubbing alcohol rubbed over the bite. That doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Why do I get the chiggers, but my daughter can walk barefoot through the lawn sans problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Why do I get the chiggers, but my daughter can walk barefoot through the lawn sans problem?
    They like to hide under layers of clothes which is why you tend to get them around ankles and in very, very painful places around underwear. As far as getting rid of them, have you considered moving to another state? If this is not an option, your next best bet would be to douse everything on your lawn/plants in soapy water.

Since you mentioned it...

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    As far as getting rid of them, have you considered moving to another state? If this is not an option, your next best bet would be to douse everything on your lawn/plants in soapy water.
    How are the chiggers in Kentucky?

I have the same problem. It must be my electrifying personality. Wait...no, that's my explanation for static discharge.

Try this. It works for me.http://www.shopinprivate.com/chigchigrel.html

Oh crap! Sold out. I didn't even notice. Well, I only used it for ID purposes anyway. I buy it from my local chemist's.

Chiggers used to eat my dad up; thank goodness I didn't inherit the attraction. In any event dear old dad used to swear by Campho-Phenique lotion. I hear it comes in a gel that is preferred for insect bites, but since they don't bother me I have no personal experience.

good luck,

Any other ideas?

Have you tried hydrocortisone? Chigg-away claims to repel and relieve the itching.

I heard that the clear nail polish routine is good for sealing the chigger bite from the air, which cuts down on itchiness.

It didn't work last night. Guess I ought to try red polish?

I've also tried rubbing alcohol rubbed over the bite. That doesn't work. Any other ideas?

I've always used nail-polish-remover.

This is also a good product, specifically for immediate relief. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82166