Thread: San Antonio

San Antonio

I'm going to Houston in a few weeks (oh, joy) to visit my lady in her summer digs as she interns. We are planning on spending some time in San Antonio over the weekend. We won't have long, just a night or two, but I know that there's supposed to be lots of cool stuff there. I understand the Riverwalk is basically a can't-miss, but really crowded on the weekends...does it live up to the hype? What about restaurants...eat at the Riverwalk, or elsewhere? Also, any thoughts on the Alamo? As at least some of you know, I'm a professional history nerd, so at least part of me would be mad at myself if I didn't go...but is it a good site? Finally, any other recommendations of places to go, see, eat, stay (cheap ones!), etc.?

Also, I wouldn't hate taking a day trip to the Galveston area while I'm there. Is there anything cool to do on or around the bay, or would it just be a sit-on-the-beach kind of thing (not that that's bad)?

by all means, go to the Alamo. River Walk area is great--take a boat tour at night if you can. The old market area is worth going to. There is a eating place that is also a bakery there. Great food and drinks. The place we stayed in is on the River Walk--rather pricey--price goes down as you go away from the "river". We did a walking tour of an historical housing area that was great--stop at the info place across the street from the Alamo, they will help you.

If you want to go to one place that is the essence of what San Antonio was, and still is, make sure you visit the 'Esquire Tavern' which is a little off the beaten path on the Riverwalk. Ask around enough and you'll find it...I stumbled onto it during the '04 FF. It is the 'Longest Standing Bar in Texas' - In more ways than one. Literally the longest bar in San An but also opened up the day after Prohibition ended. You'll see quite a few characters and don't be surprised if you get frisked upon entry. Great memories from that one...plus the cheapest beer in town.

I also took a bus tour of the city which for various reasons I would NOT recommend.

Thumbs up

I was fortunate to attend the FF in San Antonio in April. I stayed in a hotel along the Riverwalk. I highly recommend that if at all possible- everything was right outside the door or within a lovely walk. OTOH, it did get loud at times but that could've been from the concerts affiliated w/ FF weekend and my hotel's proximity to them.

Ditto to the Alamo and also to a river "cruise". We did a dinner cruise- had a lot of fun.

I really enjoyed SA... would go back for a long weekend if I could swing it.

(Side note... the Alamodome is... eh... )

Just so you know, San Antonio is a good 3 hours from Houston. It's obviously drivable, but I didn't want you to think that they were close to each other before you made the trip. Enjoy!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Just so you know, San Antonio is a good 3 hours from Houston. It's obviously drivable, but I didn't want you to think that they were close to each other before you made the trip. Enjoy!
    Yeah, I knew that. 200 miles is a pretty painless drive though, especially when it's the difference between a weeked in what I've repeatedly heard is one of America's coolest cities and a weekend in...Houston. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yeah, I knew that. 200 miles is a pretty painless drive though, especially when it's the difference between a weeked in what I've repeatedly heard is one of America's coolest cities and a weekend in...Houston. Thanks for the heads up, though.
    Don't mess with H-town! Though June-September isn't exactly ideal time to visit, it's a lively city with lots to do/see.

Houston gets a bad rap

It's the ultimate "you have to know where to go" city. And granted, it's not exactly a "destination" -- I admit it. But to visit your girl there and then completely dismiss it would be to ignore the plethora of awesome restaurants (I recommend Backstreet for a great date), nightlife, golf, whatever floats your boat. But again, you have to know where to go because you could easily wind up at some place awful.

Also, I'll stray from the pack here and say San Antonio, especially during the summer, is one of the most overrated cities in America. I haven't had a non-Final Four good time on the river walk since I was a teenager. I'd recommend Austin instead, but that is with some obvious bias.

Alternatively, the Texas hill country is awesome -- Fredricksburg, Enchanted Rock, floating the river in New Braunfels or Gruene, real texas brisket and ribs at about a dozen world famous pits in the area, etc. etc. If you are going to make the drive, that's what I recommend. Plus there are a ton of great and quaint bed-and-breakfasts which I've found to be popular with the lady-folk.

As for Galveston -- if you really want to go to the beach, it's there. That's about all I can say good about the place.

I'm going to Houston in a few weeks (oh, joy) to visit my lady in her summer digs as she interns. We are planning on spending some time in San Antonio over the weekend. We won't have long, just a night or two, but I know that there's supposed to be lots of cool stuff there. I understand the Riverwalk is basically a can't-miss, but really crowded on the weekends...does it live up to the hype? What about restaurants...eat at the Riverwalk, or elsewhere? Also, any thoughts on the Alamo? As at least some of you know, I'm a professional history nerd, so at least part of me would be mad at myself if I didn't go...but is it a good site? Finally, any other recommendations of places to go, see, eat, stay (cheap ones!), etc.?
    The Alamo? Gee. I'm kind of a U.S. History buff but don't remember The Alamo. Oh wait, wait, wait! Yes! NOW I remember the Alamo!

That's the place next to the shopping center that Ozzy Ozborne peed on in the 1980s.

Yes. Visit the Alamo! And if you have a few and feel like you're riding the "Crazy Train," then by all means, pee on it!

Also, I think that's the place where Davey Crockett was strangulated by an extension cord. Or was that the guy from Hogan's Heros?

-EarlJam

I have to agree with A-Tex. San Antonio is just OK. If you really want to see the Alamo it only takes about 30 min. Might as well spend the rest of your time in Austin or the Hill Country (Enchanted Rock is cool for hiking).

I was in San Antonio for a meeting in February--the Riverwalk is nice and I enjoyed the Alamo (not a history nerd, but I like history). Since I was there, I didn't want to miss it. Last November, I was in Houston, and my boyfriend (at the time) took me to Galveston. You won't miss anything if you don't go there.

Mixing threads

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    If you want to go to one place that is the essence of what San Antonio was, and still is, make sure you visit the 'Esquire Tavern' which is a little off the beaten path on the Riverwalk. Ask around enough and you'll find it...I stumbled onto it during the '04 FF. It is the 'Longest Standing Bar in Texas' - In more ways than one. Literally the longest bar in San An but also opened up the day after Prohibition ended. You'll see quite a few characters and don't be surprised if you get frisked upon entry. Great memories from that one...plus the cheapest beer in town.
    Any good local brews? Perhaps this question is more for the "Ymm Beer" thread.

Thanks for the continued suggestions. I would agree with all of the glowing reviews of Austin, but I've actually already spent rather a lot of time there. I have also had some time to explore the hill country, including floating the Guadelupe River. We possibly/probably have an in with someone who has a house in the hill country for this trip, so we'll probably spend some time exploring some of the towns and finding a music hall (she loves live music).

I'm also encouraged to hear about Houston, and it doesn't surprise me that "you have to know where to go." But now, my question is...where is that?

Thanks again, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Any good local brews? Perhaps this question is more for the "Ymm Beer" thread.
    Real Ale in Blanco is pretty good:
    http://realalebrewing.com/
    Independence in Austin:
    http://www.independencebrewing.com/beer/index.html
    and of course Shiner.

Galveston is terrible. There's a reason that all the spring breakers trek all the way down to South Padre instead of going the short route to Galveston.

Houston is the worst city in Texas (says the guy who grew up in Dallas!)

Spend your time in San Antonio and Austin. Heck, go in between to San Marcos, and shop your heart out. Also, New Braunfels is close to San Antonio and pretty cool as well.

Quote Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
    Galveston is terrible. There's a reason that all the spring breakers trek all the way down to South Padre instead of going the short route to Galveston.

Houston is the worst city in Texas (says the guy who grew up in Dallas!)
    Funny, we grew up thinking the same thing about Dallas. Galveston is no South Padre, but it's certainly better than Myrtle beach.

Thanks for the continued suggestions. I would agree with all of the glowing reviews of Austin, but I've actually already spent rather a lot of time there. I have also had some time to explore the hill country, including floating the Guadelupe River. We possibly/probably have an in with someone who has a house in the hill country for this trip, so we'll probably spend some time exploring some of the towns and finding a music hall (she loves live music).

I'm also encouraged to hear about Houston, and it doesn't surprise me that "you have to know where to go." But now, my question is...where is that?

Thanks again, guys!
    Where to go in Houston obviously depends on what you want to do. But if you name a type of restaurant, Houston has a great one. It's probably the most underrated restaurant town in the country. I'm not saying it's NYC, Chicago, LA or SF, but it holds its own with any other city.

There's typically excellent performing arts (and awesome facilities for them) in Houston too if that floats your boat -- whether it's touring or local companies. If you can swing a ticket and are there one evening, I recommend that route as well. Lots of patio restaurants as well for day drinking/eating. I'll step out of chamber of commerce mode now... just know that you can be easily entertained.

As far as dancehalls in the hill country -- you can't go wrong with Gruene Hall in the little town of Gruene right on the Guadalupe.