Thread: History buffs?

History buffs?

For any of you who love history and reading about it, I found a great site this morning that has archives of The Times (London) newspapers from all the way back to 1785. I thought I would share it for those who are interested and might not know about it. They have all the papers archived, and scanned for reading. I've been reading about D-Day, Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima, and Jack the Ripper so far this morning. I find it fascinating to read their views on events that happened here and over there as well.

http://archive.timesonline.co.uk/tol/archive/topics/

Enjoy! I've found my official time waster for my last week at my old job

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Jtr

When I read your post the first thing I thought was it would be cool to go read the Jack stories as they unfolded. I can imagine London was pretty frightened after the first couple of murders.

Titanic

I was reading an article about the Titanic sinking and was struck by the line "wireless messages were sent out." My first thought was "wait, they didn't have computers back then," and realized in 1912 wireless meant morse code. Technology has changed, but apparently not the terms.

Thanks for the link...I can see this will be a giant time waster.
    (my boss probably will not be thanking you any time soon!)

very very cool
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

This is really cool BDJ. Awesome link.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I was reading an article about the Titanic sinking and was struck by the line "wireless messages were sent out." My first thought was "wait, they didn't have computers back then," and realized in 1912 wireless meant morse code. Technology has changed, but apparently not the terms.
    Wireless meant any signal sent via radio, telegraph, whatever but the term was most commonly used for radio.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    When I read your post the first thing I thought was it would be cool to go read the Jack stories as they unfolded. I can imagine London was pretty frightened after the first couple of murders.
    Not so much frightened as fascinated and titillated.

Funnily enough, I'm typing this in the East End of London.

So cool!

I will never work again I think. This is so cool. I like clicking on the articles and reading the scanned pages. Amazing to think about how old newspapers where produced.

That is a cool link (I had known about it earlier) and, as a historian, I have a couple more of them that I read regularly. Unfortunately, they require subscriptions (I have them through my university library) so I can't provide links so that others can enjoy them.

I actually stumbled on the archives when reading another story on their website. I listen to Neal Boortz from time to time, and had prepped an email to him to see if he wanted to put it in his daily links. I went to his site, and it was already there! On the day I actually found it Kinda weird that it happened like that, but anyways.

I LOVED reading through alot of those, and the JTR stories were one of the first I went to. I hardly got anything done yesterday morning myself Glad yall liked it, finally I contributed SOMETHING to the site, and it only took 500+ posts