Hansbrough Questions

1- Was Hansbrough ever seriously recruited by Duke , or was going to go to UNC no matter what ?

2- Did Coach K have a choice between McRoberts and Hansbrough ? If he did he surely made the wrong choice.

McBob

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    1- Was Hansbrough ever seriously recruited by Duke , or was going to go to UNC no matter what ?

2- Did Coach K have a choice between McRoberts and Hansbrough ? If he did he surely made the wrong choice.
    Not sure- but you wonder what K was thinking when he went after the number 1 or 2 ranked high schooler in country who was 6' 10" and more athletic than Mr. Hansbrough. C'mon, McBob was a great recruit- he simply was not as committed to be a great college player as Hansbrough has been. Who is to say where McBob would be now if he decided to be a four year player at Duke. I suspect he would be among the best players in the country. He just was not focused enough on the college game when he was here.

Hans/McBob recruiting

from back issues of the ACC Sports Journal and Brick Oettinger's columns therein, at one time Duke was thought to be an early co-leader along with Missouri for Hansbrough, but we did not end up making it to the list of finalists. i'm not sure why, whether we backed off or he did. if not for the issues at Missouri, Hansbrough might have ended up playing for the Mighty Quinn. think what a difference one recruit can make.

on the other hand, mcbob shows that the impact of one recruit can end up being overestimated. that being said, he was ranked more in the 15 range at the time we signed him and then shot up afterwards. playing with oden had to help him, signing with duke couldn't hurt, and the guy sure could dribble for a big man. i remember some behind the back moves in the acc tournament his freshman year that definitely would have wowed high school scouts.

It was even debatable their Freshman year who was the better recruit. McRoberts had help with Shelden and JJ, while Hansbrough had to be the man at UNC from Day one. Still, it was widely expected that Josh would be a much better NBA player than Hansbrough.

By their sophomore years, McRoberts was exposed as more of a role player than a go-to guy and Hansbrough had taken over as the man at UNC. Hansbrough's pro stock didn't rise all that much, but McRoberts' stock dropped like a lead zeppelin.
    "There can BE only one."

Still up in the air

McBob could still be a better NBA player than Hanstravel.

Duke and Hans

Just to set the record straight, Duke did have early interest in Hansbrough, but dropped out of the process before it got close to decision time.

Why?

That I don't know for sure -- although I doubt seriously that Coach K decided that he didn't like his game. The most likely explanation is that they just didn't click in personality terms -- whereas Roy and Hans already had a relationship from the time when Roy was recruiting him for Kansas.

Coaches have to make early decisions all the time on where to invest their time and effort. If the early feedback is poor -- and I believe that in this case, it was for Coach K -- then they move on to other targets.

The one thing I know of is that it was never a choice between Hansbrough and McRoberts. Duke did get McRoberts early, when he was a slender 6-7 or 6-8 small forward. In the year or so after his committment, he kept growing and bulking up and ended up very similar physically (but not in game) to Hansbrough. But at the time K backed off Hansbrough, they were two very different players.

Really, PSurprise?

McBob could be a better NBA player than Hansbrough? I don't think Hansbrough will get sent to the D-League, and I bet our traveling friend will average more than 1 and 1 his rookie year.

FWIW, Hansbrough was in fact recruited and offered by Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingThomasHill View Post
    McBob could be a better NBA player than Hansbrough? I don't think Hansbrough will get sent to the D-League, and I bet our traveling friend will average more than 1 and 1 his rookie year.
    Well, I'd argue that last year MIGHT not be the end result of McRoberts's career. In terms of skillset, McRoberts is certainly more versatile and may have more upside, while Hansbrough has certainly been more productive. Whether McRoberts reaches his potential is another story altogether.

CDu, I usually agree with and enjoy your posts and insights. With respect to McBob vs. Hansbrough, I'll just agree to disagree. I can't offer my true critique of McBob since I don't want to face the wrath of the mods.

CDu, I usually agree with and enjoy your posts and insights. With respect to McBob vs. Hansbrough, I'll just agree to disagree. I can't offer my true critique of McBob since I don't want to face the wrath of the mods.
    I'm not saying McRoberts will be a better pro than Hansbrough. I'm saying that it is at least a debatable point. McRoberts is taller, a better leaper, and more versatile. And further, the argument in favor of McRoberts is one based on potential (i.e., if he ever develops an NBA body and post game). Which is why I implied that pointing to McRoberts' first season isn't a very strong argument. I can see plenty of arguments for why McRoberts won't be a better pro than Hansbrough - the argument you used just isn't one of them, in my opinion.

Well, McBob was exposed during his rookie year for what he is. Is he a better leaper? Sure, but this isn't a track and field event. He can't finish around the basket in traffic, so his leaping ability is only on display on open court dunks and weak side shot blocking. He would probably be a great Harlem Globetrotter, less the surly attitude. Finally, I recall Hansbrough leaping off of a UNC frat house - he looked pretty impressive there. I don't remember seeing McBob jumping off the Bryan Center.

He may have some height on Hansbrough, but Hansbrough is a bull around the rim and is a great finisher, despite his unorthodox style and penchant for walking. Can that translate to the NBA? We'll have to see. It worked for Antawan Jamison

McBob averaged 7 and 6 in the D-League. When he declared for the draft, I said he would never get a second contract. After one season, that prediction is still looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm not saying McRoberts will be a better pro than Hansbrough. I'm saying that it is at least a debatable point. McRoberts is taller, a better leaper, and more versatile. And further, the argument in favor of McRoberts is one based on potential (i.e., if he ever develops an NBA body and post game). Which is why I implied that pointing to McRoberts' first season isn't a very strong argument. I can see plenty of arguments for why McRoberts won't be a better pro than Hansbrough - the argument you used just isn't one of them, in my opinion.
    Yep, it's still in debate. Hanstravel could have a career similar to Shelden's, while McRoberts might use last night's trade, a chance to play for Larry Bird on his home-state NBA team, as motivation or inspiration to work his butt off and get started on a great NBA career. He's still got more **potential** (alert!, draft-speak) than Hans to find a place in the league. Imagine Hanstravel being drafted in the late teens/early 20s next year by, say, LA. He'd never play over Gasol, Bynum, or Odom. I know that's just one scenario, but it's not a huge stretch, and there are certainly a number of teams in the league that have big-time frontcourts that Hans will have trouble breaking into.

Well, McBob was exposed during his rookie year for what he is. Is he a better leaper? Sure, but this isn't a track and field event. He can't finish around the basket in traffic, so his leaping ability is only on display on open court dunks and weak side shot blocking. He would probably be a great Harlem Globetrotter, less the surly attitude. Finally, I recall Hansbrough leaping off of a UNC frat house - he looked pretty impressive there. I don't remember seeing McBob jumping off the Bryan Center.

He may have some height on Hansbrough, but Hansbrough is a bull around the rim and is a great finisher, despite his unorthodox style and penchant for walking. Can that translate to the NBA? We'll have to see. It worked for Antawan Jamison

McBob averaged 7 and 6 in the D-League. When he declared for the draft, I said he would never get a second contract. After one season, that prediction is still looking good.
    I don't disagree with anything you've said. What I said was that the argument in favor of McRoberts is based entirely on potential, not his current performance. Which is why I think it's short-sighted to look at what he did in his first year (when he hadn't reached his potential).

Obviously he could fail to reach his potential. He could fail to realize that he's going to need to get stronger and to develop a post game or a good jumpshot (ideally both). If he doesn't do that, he'll never get a second contract. If he does, his potential far exceeds Hansbrough, in my opinion.

what does leaping off of a frat building have to do with anything? its not like he jumped over the frat building or up onto the roof of the frat building, is it? that has asolutely nothing to do with athleticism or leaping ability. all you just showed is how stupid tyler is that he would risk his possible career with a horrible injury to be the man of the party. thank god josh was never that stupid. impressive? youve got to be kidding me. bobby frasor's leap off that frat building was more impressive than tyler's just because he took his socks off. its not like either of them did flips or anything. they simply dropped off the ledge into a swimming pool. there's so much athleticism involved in that, ill have to make sure and warn my grandmother to be more careful next time.

Skitelz, the frat house jump reference was a joke. Settle down, and go back to your corner.

my bad, my bad...sorry, im new and dont know the sarcastic tendencies of other members, including yourself. in my defense, if you saw that post and took it for being a real opinion, would you have reacted much differently?

and i dont live in a corner...my lazy-boy sits in the middle of the room