Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad View Post
    For the sake of this draft, and if no one else is signed up for New Orleans, may I suggest that they would be best off by drafting someone to back up Tyson Chandler, someone who would be pretty much ready to go in that spot: Jason Thompson, one of the few seniors in the draft, with size and proven ability to rebound and score?

This will be my last post for awhile, as I'm feeling uncomfortable being the only poster on this thread this morning.
    Fine, be that way. Strip three players from the board that I was hoping would fall to the Pistons and then run away

I am not familiar with the Hornets roster, but Thompson seems like a good pick if they are looking for scoring from the 4 spot. I think he would be more a back-up for David West, particularly against the big men in the western conference, but he is the kind of guy the Pistons would have taken anticipating Rasheed's departure this year or next.

Arthur was a steal for the Spurs, he should contribute early but also has "upside".

I'm not sure Houston has the patience to wait for Ibaka. McGrady is too fragile to rely on for long term, so the current window may be short. I would have taken Arthur for the Rockets and then Ibaka for the Spurs who seem more willing to wait for foreign players to mature.

Now let's see how much Memphis can ruin the remainder of the Pistons' draft board ...

Houston & San Antonio's needs

Normally I would have agreed that the Spurs draft the international player, stash him overseas, and pick him up later. However, age is a factor now. San Antonio would be better served by trying to add someone now who can produce effectively in the near future. Again, they normally don't plan on adding through the draft, but with Arthur available, that's a real possibility (there is absolutely no way he'll be available to the Spurs during the real draft). Which brings me to the Rockets.

Houston has a number of players in the range of Arthur: Scola, Chuck Hayes, Lampe, and that other fellow, what's his name, oh yeah, Battier. But Ibaka has tremendous "upside," and at only 18 is still growning. Someone like Mutombo would be able to give him guidance in order to get him the basketball maturity that he needs, if the Rockets did bring him over to play in the NDBL.

It just doesn't seem to me that the Spurs will want to go the overseas route again this year.

Memphis

BD80, why don't you choose for Memphis? That way you'll have the satisfaction of selecting who you really want, regardless of the team.

This draft has lost its air.

I'm not sure it had any to begin with...
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

BD80, why don't you choose for Memphis? That way you'll have the satisfaction of selecting who you really want, regardless of the team.

Tough pick. They have two young PGs, and lost their best when Navaro returned to Europe. They have Marc Gasol coming and have KLove in this draft. They are strong at SG with Gay and Miller.

I would select Ante Tomic 7-2 C Croatia – who is compared to young (21) Pau Gasol. He needs to stay in Europe, but the Griz will already have two young post guys to work into the rotation.

It wouldn't surprise me to see this pick get swapped for a veteran PG.

Pistons take Nicolas Batum

A coin toss between Courtney Lee 6-5 SG Western KY and Nicolas Batum 6-8 SG France. Batum needs strength and agressiveness, is young (20), but reportedly has lottery level offensive and defensive talent. Lee is compared to Rip Hamilton.

Considering this is such a bad draft overall, I'll go with a flyer and take Batum, hopefully stashing him overseas for another year - I don't think he counts against the cap if he is signed overseas. Rasheed comes off the books next year, and the Pistons will be active in the free agent market if we haven't moved Sheed before then.

If Thompson had been on the board, he would have been perfect, and fits Dumar's profile. DJ White is listed as a possible choice, but I think he is a poor version of Jason Maxiell. Some have said we will take Bill Walker, but I have heard first hand that his knees will stop the Pistons from taking him in the first round.

Boston

With the 30th pick of the first round, the Boston Celtics select DeVon Hardin from Cal.

Hoping to return the full roster from the reigning NBA Champs, Boston picks up the physically imposing Hardin who has the ability to make an instant defensive impact, and can take time to more fully develop his offensive skill set with the Celtics already in a comfortable groove.

First Round Wrap-Up

1. Rose
    2. Beasley
    3. Mayo
    4. Bayless
    5. Love
    6. Randolph
    7. Gordon
    8. Alexander
    9. B. Lopez
    10. Gallinari
    11. Hickson
    12. Westbrook
    13. Augustin
    14. Kufos
    15. Ajinca
    16. Hibbert
    17. R. Lopez
    18. Rush
    19. Jordan
    20. Greene
    21. Speights
    22. Douglas-Roberts
    23. Chalmers
    24. McGee
    25. Ibaka
    26. Arthur
    27. Thompson
    28. Tomic
    29. Batum
    30. Hardin

Sweet! The second round... A.K.A. "Who has the guts to take Demarcus highest?"

maybe we should just end it on the first round...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    maybe we should just end it on the first round...
    If we're going to end it, we at least have to take Demarcus 31st and then end it.

No one else left

Strangely enough, there's only a couple of names I even recognize who would be drafted in the second round - White from Indiana, Dorsey from Memphis, a couple others - so I'm not particularly interested in waiting another day to see if anyone else might be drafting someone. DeMarcus Nelson, top pick in the second round: finish.

OK then...

If the draft's over, I'd like to go ahead and thank pfrduke for being such a great (patient) commish and getting the whole thing organized; I'd also like to thank juise for keeping me laughing as the draft draaaaaagggged on. Finally, thanks to everybody else who participated. Good job. I can't wait 'til 2009 and another Tarheel-free lottery.

I like it when there are heels in the lottery, it means they arn't at UNC which makes them more respectable people.

With nothing heard from Merry, let's say Houston picks an Olajuwan: Serge Ibaka for the pick 25.
    I guess it doesn't help that earlier today when checking to see when I thought it would be my turn I was looking at the list in the first post. Apparently that stopped getting updates so I thought we were stuck at 18.

Keeping up with the draft

At the top of this thread, in the middle bar, is a menu entitled "thread tools." This allows you to choose to subscribe to a thread, and receive an e-mail when someone else posts to the thread. That might have allowed more response, if those chosing were to get automatic notification when someone else had posted. It's also possible, with the User CP (control panel), then Options menu, to chose to have the most recent posting at the top of the page for the thread.

This is not to criticize anyone, but last year (my first attempt at a Mock Draft), there seemed to be more chatter in between picks, which seemed to stir up interest. Perhaps this year other interests seemed to be more important. Even so, I would also like to thank PFR Duke for the effort and administration of the draft. It is fun, and helps to pass the time until Duke gets out on the basketball court again (which is why we're here, right? This being a Duke Basketball forum?).

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    I like it when there are heels in the lottery, it means they arn't at UNC which makes them more respectable people.
    TAKE IT BACK

Second Round Steals

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pistons take Markie if he is still available in the second round. Lindsey Hunter at 37 still has a role on the team as a lock-down defender. He is 6-2 with long arms and is in top shape. If the Pistons can find someone to take that role, Lindsey can become an assistant coach; he and Mike Curry are close friends and are about the same age.

I think Chris Lofton will be a steal for someone, and can't believe I haven't seen his name on draft boards. His bout with cancer led to a down senior season, but if he is around at the end of the second round, I hope the Pistons pick him up (assuming they are moving Chauncey).

I had also forgotten about Deron Washington, who is 6-7 and a good defender. The Pistons require defense before a player gets PT, but they are looking for a shooter at the 3. Jarvis Hayes hasn't gotten it done at that spot.

Sean Singletary would be a great pick up - there is no way he falls to the bottom of the second round, but a guy can hope can't he?

If all four are available when the Pistons pick my order would be Markie, Singletary, Lofton, Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pistons take Markie if he is still available in the second round. Lindsey Hunter at 37 still has a role on the team as a lock-down defender. He is 6-2 with long arms and is in top shape. If the Pistons can find someone to take that role, Lindsey can become an assistant coach; he and Mike Curry are close friends and are about the same age.
    I was about to post something to the effect of, "yeah, but Lindsey Hunter can reliably knock down the three." Which, over the course of his career, he did - 36%. But he was a terrible shooter in Detroit - just 28.9% from 3 and just 36.3% overall. I'd like to think DeMarcus could do at least that well from the floor in the NBA.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

I had also forgotten about Deron Washington, who is 6-7 and a good defender. The Pistons require defense before a player gets PT, but they are looking for a shooter at the 3. Jarvis Hayes hasn't gotten it done at that spot.
    Dude... you are the man! D Wash to the Pistons. Damn!