Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost (3/21)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Lost (3/21)

As always... great show!

What did you guys think of tonights episode?

Locke's story comes full circle with "the man from Tallahasee"...

I can't wait for the next episode already! Who dies?
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Best Hour of Television This Year ...

... at least in one guy's opinion. After the show I thought to myself, now that's what I'm talking about - outstanding writing, great drama between the two most compelling characters on the show, good information revealed but in a way that leaves you wanting more answers, a great (even if somewhat predictable) ending/cliffhanger, and so much set up for future episodes.

I absolutely loved all of the dialogue between Locke and Ben - "you better hope that a submarine can fit in that box," etc. I can't wait to see how they re-integrate the two storylines on both sides of the island - do Jack, Kate, Sayid and Locke just go back to the beach?

Best hour of television this year

Agreed!
    Although I was expecting it, the way they filmed Locke getting body blocked out the window; I nearly fell out of my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    ... at least in one guy's opinion. After the show I thought to myself, now that's what I'm talking about - outstanding writing, great drama between the two most compelling characters on the show, good information revealed but in a way that leaves you wanting more answers, a great (even if somewhat predictable) ending/cliffhanger, and so much set up for future episodes.

I absolutely loved all of the dialogue between Locke and Ben - "you better hope that a submarine can fit in that box," etc. I can't wait to see how they re-integrate the two storylines on both sides of the island - do Jack, Kate, Sayid and Locke just go back to the beach?
    First of all, you forgot about Danielle. I imagine she will rescue Jack, Kate, Sayid, and Locke. Probably bring Alex with her too. They may even try to integrate Danielle and Alex into the beach scene, though I would not like that. It is possible Danielle will get whatshisname, Alex's boyfriend, to help with the rescue. If he got killed in the rescue and Alex saw it and blamed Ben, that would probably cement her decision to leave the Others.

I imagine from the previews that next week will take us back to the beach and that we will probably not see/learn very much about the captured Lostaways who are with the Others.

I too felt the twist with Locke's father was telegraphed a bit much, but it was still a very nice moment.

One thing worth noting-- this is not the first time the Island has brought to the island something that should not be there. Recall that Walt was reading a comic book about polar bears in season one when the polar bear appeared. At the time, we attributed this to some ability Walt posessed. Well, perhaps it is something inate to the island, not to Walt.

Oh, final thought -- I am sure everyone noticed this but one of Ben's main "henchmen" was the guy who recruited Juliet in her flashback episode.

-Jason "nice episode title too-- fun stuff!!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    First of all, you forgot about Danielle. I imagine she will rescue Jack, Kate, Sayid, and Locke. Probably bring Alex with her too. They may even try to integrate Danielle and Alex into the beach scene, though I would not like that. It is possible Danielle will get whatshisname, Alex's boyfriend, to help with the rescue. If he got killed in the rescue and Alex saw it and blamed Ben, that would probably cement her decision to leave the Others.
    ehh, I dunno about that. Rousseau has a history of going out of her way to not help people and steering clear of The Others at all costs.

Although, I could see her now-sighting of her daughter spurring her into new action.

One thing worth noting-- this is not the first time the Island has brought to the island something that should not be there. Recall that Walt was reading a comic book about polar bears in season one when the polar bear appeared. At the time, we attributed this to some ability Walt posessed. Well, perhaps it is something inate to the island, not to Walt.
    The Dharma initiative had polar bears as part of their experiments. We learned this from one of the hatch films. That's presumably what the cages were for on Alcatraz island, although we don't know why they were let go and are allowed to roam the main island.

I thought Locke was fantastic. Especially the contrast between the beaten down Locke and the fanatical Locke. And, I don't know, it almost seems like Ben is so compelling a presence that episodes without him seem a little flat now to me.

What did Ben mean when he said he wanted to help Locke "Because I'm in a wheelchair and you're not?" Because Locke is some kind of powerful force on the island, and he needs Locke's help?

Favorite line: I'm sorry, no solicitors. I have a sign [points to door].

Locke the destroyer

I also find it interesting that Locke, the guy who is in "communion" with the island (remember his sweat lodge and trippy head cream?), is also the guy who keeps destroying the things that stabalize the civlization there - blowing up the hatch by not pushing the button, blowing up the communication station, blowing up the submarine to eliminate the "perception of the ability to leave". Is he doing this because the island is telling him to, or just looking out for himself and retaining his ability to walk?

And other things

I imagine from the previews that next week will take us back to the beach and that we will probably not see/learn very much about the captured Lostaways who are with the Others.

I too felt the twist with Locke's father was telegraphed a bit much, but it was still a very nice moment.

Oh, final thought -- I am sure everyone noticed this but one of Ben's main "henchmen" was the guy who recruited Juliet in her flashback episode.

-Jason "nice episode title too-- fun stuff!!" Evans

How about Kate's unicorn and maybe even Jack's father? They could be products of the box. The box kind of has a Sphere (the book by Michael Crichton) quality to it. Hopefully the writers for Lost can write a better ending than Crichton.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    How about Kate's unicorn and maybe even Jack's father? They could be products of the box. The box kind of has a Sphere (the book by Michael Crichton) quality to it. Hopefully the writers for Lost can write a better ending than Crichton.
    Ooooh, I like that. There is a lot more that has almost magically appeared on the island: Charlie's Guitar, Eko's brother's plane, anything else?

I read Sphere and the ending was weak. Then again, I find that Chrichton, like Grisham, spins a great tale only to have it often end with a quite unsatisfactory and often illogical conclusion. The movie of Sphere was truly horrid.

-Jason "I wonder if Hurley's car might be something the island created?" Evans

LA Times Interview with O'Quinn

This is a great Lost story/interview with Terry O'Quinn with some interesting tidbits on John Locke.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...dlines-entnews

My thought after the episode was "Lost wins" - referring to the oft-debated merits of Lost v Heroes. I cannot imagin that Heroes will surpass this episode as they wrap up the season.

Speaking of wrap-up, where do we go from here? What kind of cliffhanger/suspense will they build for us over the summer? WE have, what - 4 more episodes before the break? I don't feel like anything is building, except maybe more understandings of the Others. We still don't know why they reacted to the Losties the way they did. But that mystery seems less pressing than "what's in the hatch" or earlier mystery of the others.

I currently feel like there is the 'big question' of the island, and then there are some minor clues/issues to be resolved as far as this season goes. Unless they introduce some new, compelling issue in the next episode or two, I fear that the season may be a let-down from this week.

Dude, this week was awesome.

Exiled

Loved this episode too!

My favorite line was Locke: You're not going to talk about the box again, are you?

Now I don't keep up with all of the theories that people have so sorry if this is something that has already been discussed, but could Locke's dad be the con-man that Sawyer has been searching for?

Quote Originally Posted by BluDevilGal View Post
    Could Locke's dad be the con-man that Sawyer has been searching for?
    I think there's a good possibility. And I wonder if Cooper is going to be a 'test' for Locke like it seemed Yemi was for Eko (which he failed). At the same time there could be a 'test' for Sawyer also.

With regard to the Other's knowledge, I can't help but think it's connected in some way to Smokey. Or else Juliette has special 'Carrie' powers, though I hope that's not the case.

I agree that coordinating the arrival of all the poeple on the plane would be sorta lame.

I think it is worth noting that Ethan and whatshisname who Anna Lucia killed (edit: Goodwin) both made lists of the survivors in their camps. That tells me that the Others did not know in advance who was on the planes. I think that after getting the list of names, the Others did their research, so I am going for "Super Google" as the answer... and it is not even that big a deal to understand that answer.

I have a theory though based on what we saw last night-- the plane crash was not an accident. The Island provides what some people need and Ben needed a surgeon. Heck, most of the people on the plane needed something to happen to divert that plane from its intended destination. Think about how many of the Lostaways are better off now than they were in their life back in civillization-- Kate, Sawyer, Locke, Shannon, Eko, Charlie, Claire, Sun, and Jin have all improved themselves as a result of coming to the Island. Walt and Michael forged a relationship where none otherwise existed.

You can probably argue that Jack and Sayid would be better off in the real world, though we are seeing Jack more and more as a lost soul back in civillization and it certainly feels like he is well suited to the leadership role he has taken with the Lostaways. Even some of the people who died, like Eko and Boone, seemed to be on a path toward resolving problems in their soul before they bit it.

--Jason "I want Lost to go 5 seasons... that way we can really start giving some answers" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 03-22-2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: "whatshisname" is Goodwin

What I meant was his reaction was one of panic/concern/hope (albeit controlled and calculated) that there MIGHT be survivors who could discover them or benefit them (such as a neurosurgeon).

I have always believed the crash was not a random accident from the first episode when Charlie wrote the word fate on the tape on his fingers.

I think we are starting to see more of the black/white, light/dark, good/evil dichotomy come into play. I think the juxtaposed 2 lines about who is in a wheel chair could be the 2 most important lines of the season. The island (including the monster - see its effect on Locke and Eko) obviously means different things/brings different things/has different effects on people depending on that spectrum. I also think the faith/science dichotomy is relevant here. Ben thought he needed a doctor (science) to be healed (in other words get what he needs/wants), whereas Locke would have only thought he needed faith. That is why Ben is so intrigued by Locke's communion with the island. My prediction is that this season's finale/cliffhanger will reveal who Jacob is and what his/its purpose is in bringing people to the island.
    Last edited by mr. synellinden; 03-22-2007 at 05:30 PM.

line of the night?

I like the others suggested, but also:

"I'm sorry, we don't have code for there's someone hiding in my closet with a gun to my daughters head"

Quote Originally Posted by BCGroup View Post

"I'm sorry, we don't have code for there's someone hiding in my closet with a gun to my daughters head"
    I still want to know why they never did bring Ben "the man from Tallahassee." Instead, they waited until after Locke blew up the sub and then took Locke to see "the man from Tallahassee." I wonder if that was significant. I sometimes think we parse every moment of the show so much that we try to find meaning in meaningless stuff.

-Jason "is it next Wednesday yet?!?!" Evans

I still want to know why they never did bring Ben "the man from Tallahassee." Instead, they waited until after Locke blew up the sub and then took Locke to see "the man from Tallahassee." I wonder if that was significant. I sometimes think we parse every moment of the show so much that we try to find meaning in meaningless stuff.

-Jason "is it next Wednesday yet?!?!" Evans
    We don't know what Ben did after the sub blew up. We don't even know if Locke's dad is the Man From Tallahassee.

And then...

Quote Originally Posted by BCGroup View Post

he said(which was just as good).."But obviously we should" too funny

Ben thought he needed a doctor (science) to be healed (in other words get what he needs/wants), whereas Locke would have only thought he needed faith. That is why Ben is so intrigued by Locke's communion with the island.
    Interesting...and when Locke lost faith, the anomaly happened. But was the anomaly bad for Locke? It looks like he's trying to take advantage of the loss of contact it created. And in terms of faith, what is the deal with his faith in his father. The man has not exactly been a boon to him. I'm not sure I'd greet the guy who threw me out an eight-story window with "Dad?". I think you may be right, but always, this show asks more than it answers.