Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

DMark

While I think our Captain was a fine player, He certainly was not the most talented player. He did for a fact have the most heart. If he was our best player, where does last years team rank in comparison to former teams. If he was like someone said, like Thomas Hill. that means if he had played on T Hill's teams he would have been a role player at best. Next years team will be improved, but may not win more than 28 games. I just hope we go a long way in the NCAA tournament. We need a Final Four berth and I think we have the players and coaches to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    That leaves Brian Zoubek. If has another injury-riddled season, I think next year will be much like last year, with a decent chance of an early exit. If he is able to stay healthy, I expect big improvements. He certainly showed improvement last year, and I think if Z is able to average 20-22 mpg, guard the opponent's 5 efficiently, then I think it will make a big impact with Singler.
    The health of Brian Zoubek is definitely a major X factor for this coming season. I agree with you that Zoubek showed improvement last year, but I believe many fans are overlooking the progress he made because he was hurt twice. A Healthy Zoubek logging 20+ minutes in the post will go a long way toward Duke being a solid contender.
    Bob Green

Everybody's talking about our frontcourt like we really need offense from them. We don't. With a rotation of Singler, Zoubeck, and Thomas at the center/power forward position, we should be fine; 16a game from Singler, maybe 7 or 8 each from Thomas and Zoubeck. With our guards/small forwards of Henderson, Paulus, Smith, Scheyer, and that new freshman, we should be getting 45-50 a game out of the other three spots, easy. We'll be fine. We just need Thomas, Zoubs, and Singler to give us better rebounding (lousy last year) and defense, and we should be a top 5/ maybe final four team.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Everybody's talking about our frontcourt like we really need offense from them. We don't...We just need Thomas, Zoubs, and Singler to give us better rebounding (lousy last year) and defense...
    I agree that we need better rebounding but we also need our frontcourt players to give us some offense especially in the area of stickbacks off offensive rebounds and knocking down free throws. Free throw shooting was a strength of Czyz and Miles Plumlee in high school so if they can transfer that skill to the college game it will go a long way toward earning playing time.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The health of Brian Zoubek is definitely a major X factor for this coming season. I agree with you that Zoubek showed improvement last year, but I believe many fans are overlooking the progress he made because he was hurt twice. A Healthy Zoubek logging 20+ minutes in the post will go a long way toward Duke being a solid contender.
    I completely agree. I think the staff was really counting on Brian to be a major contributor last year, but injuries derailed his season.

We are better able to do without Brian this year, but I think we are likely to see a significant contribution from him. He may not outplay Hansblaba head to head, but I predict Brian will:

Have a 20 and 10 game,

Be first or second in assists in at least five games,

Lead the team in rebounds,

Have five double doubles in ACC play,

Make the ACC tournament second team,

Teach Danny Green how to dance,

Father children by each UNC cheerleader ...

It would be GREAT if Brian can contribute this year, along with Lance. I still think the key is that Plumlee will be there in practice to pound with Zoubek, and Czyz (who I suspect will do more as the season goes on) will be banging with Kyle and Lance. No offense (becaue we are ALL Devil fans), but I hope the "don't expect very much this year" critics of Czyz are wrong. He could be the catalyst that raises everyone else's game.

We just GOTTA get some frontcourt "respect" ... that's what will open up the game for the drives of Henderson, and the perimeter games of Paulus, Scheyer, Smith and Williams. IF we can attack at the rim, and defend the rim ... this could be a very, very good Duke team.

The chemistry is in place ... Duke brings it every night, because their opponents are sky high to play them. Just over four months to go, and we will find OUT !

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Yeah, but even with Big Z's DNA they'll still come out with two heads.

I completely agree. I think the staff was really counting on Brian to be a major contributor last year, but injuries derailed his season.

We are better able to do without Brian this year, but I think we are likely to see a significant contribution from him. He may not outplay Hansblaba head to head, but I predict Brian will:

Have a 20 and 10 game,

I'm writing these down for later (I won't hold you to the last two though). If he leads the team in rebounds, we are in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Wow. My eyes are bleeding after reading all of these posts. You guys are forgetting some important things. All of this hullaboo about will they improve. Of course they will! They ARE STUDENT-Athletes. They spend their free time playingn basketball and lifting weights. Do you guys think that the team doesn't realize their weaknesses from last year? Trust me - it's no way they're not working on those things.

With fresh blood to come in - solid players by any man's definition - they will be VERY strong.

Because once again, while we get older, stronger, and more experienced, many other teams are taking a slide...

With the exception of UNC - who will obviously be our toughest game of the year, the only other contenders will be an improving Miami team but who will still probably be typically Miami and fall apart at the end of the year.

Clemson will be talented but young - not to mention they've lost two major pieces in the last two years.

Wake Forest will be big, talented, and quick - but we will beat them b/c they've got to hit their threes. Something tells me Coach K does some new things with "G" around this time. Not to mention a combination of Smith and Williams on defense after Paulus and Scheyer have banged in some threes has a very nice ring to it.

N.C. State. Well - at least we'll get to see the red jacket.

Virginia Tech? They lose their scrappiest, smartest, and dirtiest player. They have some young talent but I don't see it happening. They need a leader.

Florida State? Is that kid Ryan still even in freaking school there? No worries here.

Boston College? No seriously. Is Boston College still in the ACC? Oh yeah - they have one player...

Maryland? What can I say here that WONT make Maryland fans mad? Hmmmm... That schools has had a lot of tough luck and even more kids with it. It's gonna be one of those years but at least we get to watch Vazquez go bananas for 10 minutes then cold for another 10. Bananas for 10 minutes then throwing the ball out of bounds for the next 10.

Appalachain State. Hunh? What's that you say? They're not an ACC school? We should get them!!

Davidson. Wait. Not an ACC school either? We are STILL gonna bust their tails. Got plenty of folks to chase Curry.

Virginia? Back to the ACC! Virginia's still in the ACC? What? Oh yeah - they lost their best player of the last four years - and they were STILL garbage. At least they got a nice gym. We'll see them in about two more years.

Miami is looking good with Frank running the show but they'll probably be the same old Miami - hot in the beginning - cold in the end...

Big 10 challenge? Who cares who we play? I already know it's someone weak.

Maui? I hope they do it again. Remember that last year's team rode that momentum for a long time.

Michigan. LOL!

A couple of Big East teams to round it out. And maybe even a Gonzaga game where "G" > "Josh".

I don't see the cause for alarm. See the forest for the trees people!!!

I see Olek reminding me of young dunking McRoberts - but more physical.

I see alley-oops from JS to Henderson, GP to Henderson, Nolan to Henderson, Coach K to Henderson, a random fan to Henderson, shoot - even the refs might throw him an alley-oop.

In closing, if this team isn't better I will give up basketball altogether...

Supa "I have way too many bets with UNC fans to listen to folks who can only focus on one facet of the game" Dave...

Have a 20 and 10 game,

If Zoubek gets 20 and 10 a game there is no way we are not winning the national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    If Zoubek gets 20 and 10 a game there is no way we are not winning the national championship.
    He actually says that Zoubek will have a 20 and 10 game, not that he'll be getting 20 and 10 a game. I am in agreement that Zoubek averaging 20 and 10 would mean a National Championship though.

Smile Here are some reasons

Why will Duke be better next year? This is the title of the thread.

Here are two reasons:

"This is the best of all possible worlds." -- Candide (bitter irony by Voltaire) and Leibniz (in all seriousness)

"Everything that rises must converge." Pere Teilhard de Chardin (in all seriousness) and novelist Flannery O'Connor (in bitter irony)

Having now genuflected in the direction of the Chapel and Perkins Library, let me give the basketball reasons:

1. Singler, Smith, and Henderson are all likely to improve significantly. Singler and Smith, because they are now sophs. Henderson, because he was brilliant at times, and will benefit a lot from being more confident and more consistent.

2. I expect Scheyer to improve and perhaps Paulus as well, but not as much as the players above. I also expect a stronger game from Lance Thomas, who made a jump up last year and can become a more aggressive and effective offensive player. These changes won't have the same effect as #1.

3. Zoubek would make a huge difference, if he "grows into his body," "gets his coordination," or whatever you want to call the slow development of really tall players. Quite frankly, he is most likely to be effective on the defensive end, where he needs to move his feet, use his size and avoid doing stupid things. I think he is a long way from being an offensive force in ACC games. But any improvement will be gravy.

4. Among the freshman, Elliott Williams is most likely to get significant minutes (10-15? maybe more) and will help the team. FWIW, I think any 2009 contributions from Czyz and Plumlee will be pure bonus. I read K's comments differently from some on this thread. It seemed clear that he was not counting on either player as a freshman. Moreover, it seems to take an exceptional player at Duke to be a real contributor his first year.

5. Anything from Pocious would be a bonus (and really sweet). Similarly to offense from Zoubek. I also expect McClure to be an effective role player.

In sum, we lose a key performer (Markie) and add a skilled freshman (EWill). We have three or more players very likely to improve significantly (Kyle, Nolan, and Gerald) and four more likely to improve somewhat (Jon, Greg, Brian, and Lance).

Sounds like a stronger team to sagegrouse.

I also think K will bring this team along more slowly to have a stronger performing team in March. In 2008 -- given the debacle at the end of 2007 -- he had no choice but to drive the team hard for victories early in the season.

It is ancient history, but Bones McKinney at Wake with Len Chappell (and Packer) in the early '60s decided to bring his team along more slowly and really was stronger than Duke and UNC in March, although I thought the Duke team was a better team than champion Wake in 1961 and 1962. Bubas, I think, decided to adopt this approach in his teams after 1962 and began to have phenomenal success in March.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I'm writing these down for later (I won't hold you to the last two though). If he leads the team in rebounds, we are in good shape.
    It isn't such a stretch, Brian averaged 3.8 rebounds in 10.5 minutes per game.

Kyle and Markie led the team in rebounds at 5.8 in 30 minutes per game each.

G was third at 4.7 rebounds in 26 minutes.

If healthy, Brian's minutes and effectiveness should increase. I have hopes he will become a solid starter, even if the first one to come to the bench. While he is in, I hope to see us run some of the offense through him, thus putting pressure on the opponent's frontcourt but also positioning him down low for rebounds. I hope he spent a good part of his recuperative time practicing free throws!

At some point this season, I'd like to hear Bilas refer to Z as "a load down low".

I'm glad Sagegrouse brought up Coach Bubas. He, Heyman & Mullins got us on the map in the early-to-mid 60's. I still think the 1966 team of Marin, Verga, Lewis, Riedy, and Vacendak is the best Duke team NOT to take it all. But then, out of that grew the legend of Texas Western ... but back to the here and now.

I'm starting to get out my candles & beads, and preparing my prayers that one or two of these guys--Zoubek, Thomas, Czyz, Plumlee-- will give us a Frontcourt presence (I really don't mind if it's all four of them). One game of Brian going 20 & 10 is cool, but I'd trade that for 15 & 12 every night from this "committee".

Plus this group could take the burden off Kyle to go up against the other team's "5", night after night at both ends. With a little less responsibility in that area, I see our Soph star at about 17 & 8 per night -- kick in the guards and small forwards in the open, and we GOT A TEAM.

It isn't such a stretch, Brian averaged 3.8 rebounds in 10.5 minutes per game.

Kyle and Markie led the team in rebounds at 5.8 in 30 minutes per game each.

G was third at 4.7 rebounds in 26 minutes.

If healthy, Brian's minutes and effectiveness should increase. I have hopes he will become a solid starter, even if the first one to come to the bench. While he is in, I hope to see us run some of the offense through him, thus putting pressure on the opponent's frontcourt but also positioning him down low for rebounds. I hope he spent a good part of his recuperative time practicing free throws!

At some point this season, I'd like to hear Bilas refer to Z as "a load down low".
    I see Kyle's boards going up to about 7/game. If Z doubles his minutes to 20/game he may just barely beat that number. I will also be suprised to see Z come in 1st or 2nd in assist numbers in 5 games. I don't think the goals are way beyond imagination, and I said I would write them down not just to rag on the guy if they don't happen, but to see how far off or how close we were in our perspective of the team six months from now.

Zoubek was already our best rebounder last year if you adjust for minutes played, and his scoring was pretty good for 10 min/ game as well. Zoubek can play 20+ minutes/ game if he can cut down on the travelling, defend without fouling as much, and work on his shot a little to get easy baskets and three frows. Of all our players who are good but not yet great, Zoubek is the one that I most want to see turn into a real star.

I have hopes he will become a solid starter, even if the first one to come to the bench.
    I have high hopes for an "uninjured" Brian Z. Even as a solid starter, I wouldn't be surprised to see the "big man" be the first one "to the bench". I thought that "big men" generally tire faster... especially when they go at full speed... If BZ can go at full speed while he's in (meaning "uninjured"), then it's worth him being the first starter to the bench. Imagine a healthy, fresh BZ at the end of games

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Imagine a healthy, fresh BZ at the end of games
    That's the hard part. We all know that if the kid can play 25 m/game we''l be a legit Top 3 squad. But what will happen? Who knows? I calculated his stats based on his frosh min/game last year at this time and was drooling. Then he goes and flubbers his foot again. Oh, how our season rests on a silly little bone!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    4. Among the freshman, Elliott Williams is most likely to get significant minutes (10-15? maybe more) and will help the team. FWIW, I think any 2009 contributions from Czyz and Plumlee will be pure bonus. I read K's comments differently from some on this thread. It seemed clear that he was not counting on either player as a freshman. Moreover, it seems to take an exceptional player at Duke to be a real contributor his first year.
    Well said. I read the comments the same way about Plumlee and Czyz.

The comment about Elliot Williams I read a little differently. I cant remember the exact quote, but he said his transition wont be difficult at all due to his High School, Both on the court and off the court. So I took that as he may get the upper end of 15mpg, or 17 tops.

I think Smith and Zoubek show the most out of anyone. Last year Smith was absolutely a great player, other times he looked like a iffy freshman. He will be more consistent and to believe otherwise is foolish. Zoubek on the other hand IF<--- healthy really has shown he can rebound. At 7ft. he can alter smaller guards shot in a hurry. Zoubek will be huge to this team if we are to make a deep run.

Agree'd with everything Sage.

19. Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    That said, you seem to imply that Nolan has not established himself as a capable penetrator. There are several significant things that Nolan needs to work on - decision-making above all - but breaking down defenses is not one of them. He has shown the ability to consistently get past his man; I will say that he needs improvement in his finishing ability (not that it is below average), but penetrating is not something he has difficulty with.
    I thought there were to versions of Nolan -- the first half of the season, when he looked like another freshman Duhon at times -- and the second half of the season, when he looked ineffective and even a little slow (did he have an injury right? I can't remember but I think so). Hopefully Nolan will be the quick and athletic guard more consistently next year...if he does, our offense will be potent.

I also expect one of Zoubek, LT, Czyz, and Plumlee to be good enough to let Singler play the 4 for the majority of his minutes (I agree with those who think we will see him at the 5 at the end of close games). But the only realistic options for that are really Zoubek and Plumlee, since Czyz is only 6'7" and inexperienced and LT is a wiry 6'8" who guarded the other team's 4 last year when he was in with Singler - i.e. why should we expect having LT in to slide Singler to the 4? Plumlee is either 6'9" or maybe 6'10", but also inexperienced and thin. I just don't see enough minutes coming from him to make a big difference with Singler.
    Good point about Thomas.

Plumlee might be inexperienced, but he isn't thin! Last I heard he's 230 pounds, which would make him the second most heaviest on the team after Zoubek! I don't know if Plumlee will learn the system quick enough to play regularly in the rotation as our 5, but he's definitely got the potential.

If I was a betting man though I'd say Zoubs will be our starting 5. He really has improved a lot these past two seasons despite his injuries, and even on last year's team he started in a few games.

sorry, can't agree

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Everybody's talking about our frontcourt like we really need offense from them. We don't.
    I think we absolutely need a post scoring threat to avoid more early tourney exits. We don't necessarily need a Boozer/Shelden/Laettner level scoring threat (and even if we did, we just don't have it), but we have to be able to throw it inside late in games rather than relying solely on outside shots, which we've been forced to do in the last handfull of Duke seasons, and we've all seen how effective that is.

We need a post player that demands enough respect offensively that the defense has to cover him honestly when the ball goes inside, although it would be preferable if they have to collapse on him a bit. That way, we open up passing lanes for slashers and outside shooters.