Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I thought I was alone in this. Was at the Durham Bulls a few weeks ago and my BF tried to get me to participate. The wave is so 1980's and should be left there.
    I agree - leave it in the 80's. That said, it is pretty standard fare at Marlins games.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Anybody remember the noises the crowd used to make when they brought in a relief pitcher at Durham Bulls games?

Ooo-oop pitcher to catcher
    OOOOOOO catcher to pitcher

Do they still do that? I haven't been to a Durham Bulls game in years and years. Hey, I wonder if they are home when I'm in Durham this summer.

Perhaps the very newest sports tradition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGGA4lYs74

This video made it's debut during a rain delay on the Jumbotron Friday night. They showed it again yesterday (rain delayed the start of the game). It's not the whole thing but it's what was on YouTube and it's enough to get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Anybody remember the noises the crowd used to make when they brought in a relief pitcher at Durham Bulls games?

Do they still do that? I haven't been to a Durham Bulls game in years and years. Hey, I wonder if they are home when I'm in Durham this summer.
    I don't recall hearing that at the ball games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGGA4lYs74

This video made it's debut during a rain delay on the Jumbotron Friday night. They showed it again yesterday (rain delayed the start of the game). It's not the whole thing but it's what was on YouTube and it's enough to get the idea.
    Hilarious! Lip syncing to Milli Vanilli, or whoever really sang that song.

The Braves and losing games on the road seems to be a new tradition that they've adopted.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    The Braves and losing games on the road seems to be a new tradition that they've adopted.
    Even better - watching the NBA draft, wondering which bust the Clippers will pick up with their lottery pick - now there's a tradition!

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    New Zealand All Blacks doing the Haka
    Wow, the Haka video is awesome! I've never seen that before. How unbelievable would it be if Duke Basketball did something similar before all home games. With the crowd joining in, we'd blow the roof off of Cameron. Talk about intimidating!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

They've been looking for a new tradition to replace the flaming-out-in-October one.

Whoa! Good one! I remember that well and thought it was hilarious....well, dog gone funny anyway!

It would be cool to get a major league stadium full of people to do that!

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Whoa! Good one! I remember that well and thought it was hilarious....well, dog gone funny anyway!

It would be cool to get a major league stadium full of people to do that!

-EarlJam
    I have tried, unsuccessfully, but I am teaching the kids.

I like the tradition in soccer, where if a player gets injured and the opposing team has the ball, they'll kick it out of bounds. Even better is when the team w/ the injured player gets the ball on the inbounds, they give it right back. It's just a nice exchange of good sportsmanship.

As for baseball, the Mariners Ground Crew has started to do choreographed dances during an earlier inning break, in the midst of dragging the infield. Last time I went, they had 7 guys and gals doing a pretty good rendition of "Thriller."

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I like the tradition in soccer, where if a player gets injured and the opposing team has the ball, they'll kick it out of bounds. Even better is when the team w/ the injured player gets the ball on the inbounds, they give it right back. It's just a nice exchange of good sportsmanship.
    Agreed, good sportsmanship. Only problem is that now teams are beginning to fake injuries as a tactic to stop counterattacks, as has happened on several occasions this year at Euro 2008.

Oh well, the bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDuke View Post
    Agreed, good sportsmanship. Only problem is that now teams are beginning to fake injuries as a tactic to stop counterattacks, as has happened on several occasions this year at Euro 2008.

Oh well, the bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.
    I think FIFA (and UEFA) needs to do something about this. If I were running things, anytime a player goes down and either a) compels the referee to stop play or b) requires the medical staff to come out and spray the magic water on them, they should have to leave the game for 10 minutes, therefore leaving their team down a man for that period of time.

If it's indeed a legitimate injury, then the 10 minute break might be helpful and the coach could always choose to sub the player out at anytime (therefore nullifying the 10 minutes playing man down).

There are certain teams that are far worse about this than others (Eastern European teams, Italy, South American teams) and, IMO, the U.S.'s refusal to play that game hurts them in international play.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I think FIFA (and UEFA) needs to do something about this. If I were running things, anytime a player goes down and either a) compels the referee to stop play or b) requires the medical staff to come out and spray the magic water on them, they should have to leave the game for 10 minutes, therefore leaving their team down a man for that period of time.

If it's indeed a legitimate injury, then the 10 minute break might be helpful and the coach could always choose to sub the player out at anytime (therefore nullifying the 10 minutes playing man down).

There are certain teams that are far worse about this than others (Eastern European teams, Italy, South American teams) and, IMO, the U.S.'s refusal to play that game hurts them in international play.
    I agree, I think that would be a good proposal. I'd also like to see them apply post-game cards to any acts of embellishment or diving derived from a video review. I think they're talking about implementing some of this, but I haven't seen it yet.

awww

All the Chicago natives on this board, and there's still no shout out for 'Go Cubs Go'? Well then, consider this to be it.

Also, anyone know who was the first to play the Imperial March?

The Oriole's base sweeping girls, and, stopping to sweep the shoes of the third base coach. At times, the only excitement he'd see that night.

I remember seeing Mark Belanger commit four errors in one inning, on an NBC Saturday "Game of the Week". Just another reason.....Davy Johnson could not believe what he was seeing.

"Hail to the Redskins" after every touchdown.

App State's got a good one with the unison chant of "First Down!"

I love the mascot race that they have at the Milwaukee Brewers games. They still do that right? Or did the player that hit the mascot with a bat bring an end to that tradition?

Talking It's still around!

I love the mascot race that they have at the Milwaukee Brewers games. They still do that right? Or did the player that hit the mascot with a bat bring an end to that tradition?
    So far, Bratwurst is in the lead this year, but Chorizo is close behind in second.

At the end of the Army-Navy football game, both teams go to the end of the stadium where the rest of the student body is located, and each school's alma mater is sung while everyone is at attention--first the losing team, then the winning team. I've only seen it on TV a few times, but it speaks volumes about those men (and women).