Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    All the Chicago natives on this board, and there's still no shout out for 'Go Cubs Go'? Well then, consider this to be it.
    You call that vacuous pap a "tradition"? I hadn't heard of it before this year. I don't have much invested in either Chicago team, but "Let's Go-Go-Go White Sox" kicks the crap out of "Go Cubs Go".

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    You call that vacuous pap a "tradition"? I hadn't heard of it before this year. I don't have much invested in either Chicago team, but "Let's Go-Go-Go White Sox" kicks the crap out of "Go Cubs Go".
    Ah, but half of the fun of listening to go cubs go is the distress evident on the faces of any White Sox fans present.

Where is chidenver, btw? Iowa? Nebraska? Just wondering, becuase if I had to name a location for myself, that would approximately be it, so long as it isn't an average.

East Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    App State's got a good one with the unison chant of "First Down!"
    ECU does this on 1st downs - which I really like:

Announcer: "... and the ball is spotted on the 32 yard line where it's a first down . . ."

Crowd: "PIRATES!!"

Announcer: ". . . Pirates!"

Here is an example, but it's much better to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    The Oriole's base sweeping girls, and, stopping to sweep the shoes of the third base coach. At times, the only excitement he'd see that night.
    Bad: The "O!" during the National Anthem - but at least it makes sense at O's games. It's the WORST at Cameron, where it makes no sense other than to make the Crazies look like a bunch of jackasses from Maryland.
    Last edited by Johnboy; 06-24-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    It really isn't much of a tradition at all. It started in '84, when the first modestly successful Cubs team in a long time actually won a few games. It also died that same year, fortunately. Apparently it started again last year, which further justifies my anti-Cub bias.

My favorite line from a Chicago baseball game was at old Comiskey Park about 20 years ago. A guy hit a home run, and some fans in the wrong ballpark started chanting "Throw it back, throw it back." A chant started back, "Throw the Cub fans back, throw the Cub fans back."

Nothing beat the All Blacks doing the Haka.

I think they still play "Cotton Eyed Joe" at the seventh inning stretch of Texas Rangers games.

The Chicago Bulls were the first to play the Alan Parsons' Project song, "Sirius" for the intros during the Jordan years, that was really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    The Chicago Bulls were the first to play the Alan Parsons' Project song, "Sirius" for the intros during the Jordan years, that was really cool.
    Detroit Pistons still play Europe's "Final Countdown" during the intros...have been doing it ever since I was born (over 25 years). I still get chills when I hear that song at Pistons games.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Detroit Pistons still play Europe's "Final Countdown" during the intros...have been doing it ever since I was born (over 25 years). I still get chills when I hear that song at Pistons games.
    We're headed for Lansing!
    But still we stand strong!
    Cause we've got a good team!
    Though Sheed's on the bong!

There's so many games to be played;
    And fouls to contest;
    And Rasheed he does it best;

Da, da, DA, da DAAAA!

It's the Final Meltdown!
    Doo dee dee dum;
    Doo dee dee dum dee;
    Tra la la laaaaaaaaaaa;
    Dum dee doh doh doh dee dum;

You get the point.

Man, I bought that album back in the 80s. CARRIE!

I played tennis tonight and won 6-1, 5-7, 6-2.

I'm wired.

Wow. Whew. Powerade and Guinness. Also, I'm out of paper towels.

Any, Europe, they suck, but they rock too.

-EarlJam

Most traditions we SEC football fans get all misty about are really old. But one of the best has only been around since 2000, when Auburn brought out their golden eagle mascot, "Tiger," and had her circle the interior of the stadium several times before pouncing on a piece of bait at midfield. I was there that first time, a night game against Georgia, and I'd pay a thousand dollars for a wide-angle shot of the faces of the Georgia fans as they watched in complete shock and awe.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eyxEIpyP1No

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    Most traditions we SEC football fans get all misty about are really old. But one of the best has only been around since 2000, when Auburn brought out their golden eagle mascot, "Tiger," and had her circle the interior of the stadium several times before pouncing on a piece of bait at midfield. I was there that first time, a night game against Georgia, and I'd pay a thousand dollars for a wide-angle shot of the faces of the Georgia fans as they watched in complete shock and awe.
    O.M.G. WOW. That is just, wow. I mean yes. Wow. Here's another one. (slightly better quality)

O-H
    I-O

(All with accompanying arm movements to spell out letters )

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post

That IS very cool. I've been to several Auburn football games, but none since 2000, and I wasn't aware that this "tradition" even existed.

2 in the state of South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    O.M.G. WOW. That is just, wow. I mean yes. Wow. Here's another one. (slightly better quality)
    Many thanks for finding that clip. It is indeed a spectacle to behold, especially at night. I get chills just watching video of it, and being there boggles my limited powers of description.

War Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    That IS very cool. I've been to several Auburn football games, but none since 2000, and I wasn't aware that this "tradition" even existed.
    Yup. Newbie but a goodie.

You really need to get back when you can. There have been a lot of fantastic renovations to Jordan-Hare (small sample below). The bad news is that the city of Auburn has lost whatever small college-town charm it had when my brother started there in '96; and it's almost completely unrecognizable to my dad ('68).

http://www.theplainsman.com/files/images/entrance2.jpg