Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2008 Olympic Basketball Team

I didn't see a thread about the 2008 Olympic Basketball team now that they're naming the players. No big surprises yet, other than Amare turning down the offer - which is a little unusual but not a shock.

So who've we got so far? Quite a few names have been leaked.

Jason Kidd
    Carmelo Anthony
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Carlos Boozer
    Tayshaun Prince
    Dwayne Wade

Has anyone else been named yet?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I didn't see a thread about the 2008 Olympic Basketball team now that they're naming the players. No big surprises yet, other than Amare turning down the offer - which is a little unusual but not a shock.

So who've we got so far? Quite a few names have been leaked.

Jason Kidd
    Carmelo Anthony
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Carlos Boozer
    Tayshaun Prince
    Dwayne Wade

Has anyone else been named yet?
    No inside info, but I think LeBron James and Kobe Bryant have a pretty good chance of making the team.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    No inside info, but I think LeBron James and Kobe Bryant have a pretty good chance of making the team.
    I wonder if those two names haven't been "leaked" because it's basically common knowledge that they will be on the team. How would that be for a scenario? Kobe decline to play in the olympics this year. WHAT!?

I wonder if those two names haven't been "leaked" because it's basically common knowledge that they will be on the team. How would that be for a scenario? Kobe decline to play in the olympics this year. WHAT!?
    Yeah but it's also common knowledge that 'Melo and Howard will be on the team and they made the "leaked list". That's why it was sort of funny that Kobe and LeBron weren't on your list. 'Melo has basically been the MVP of the offense and Kobe has been the MVP of the defense, so if Kobe is a non-thought, it seems like 'Melo should be as well. Seems like a few locked-in starters made the list and a few did not, so it was kind of a weird list.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Yeah but it's also common knowledge that 'Melo and Howard will be on the team and they made the "leaked list". That's why it was sort of funny that Kobe and LeBron weren't on your list. 'Melo has basically been the MVP of the offense and Kobe has been the MVP of the defense, so if Kobe is a non-thought, it seems like 'Melo should be as well. Seems like a few locked-in starters made the list and a few did not, so it was kind of a weird list.
    Well the difference with Carmelo and Howard is that the local newspaper in their areas have made reports about how both individuals will accept a spot to play on the Olympic Team. I haven't seen the same thing done with Kobe or LeBron. If it has happened, I didn't see it linked on the main page of DBR. No one was a "non thought"; but some people have actually received coverage even though it was already assumed they would be on the team.

Thumbs up Roster Selected

There's a live press conference with Coach K on the front page of www.nba.com right now!

The Team

Here's our team:

Kobe Bryant
    LeBron James
    Dwyane Wade
    Carmelo Anthony
    Jason Kidd
    Tayshaun Prince
    Carlos Boozer
    Chris Bosh
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Paul
    Michael Redd
    Deron Williams

No particluar surprises.

Kobe Bryant
    LeBron James
    Dwayne Wade
    Carmelo Anthony
    Jason Kidd
    Tayshaun Prince
    Carlos Boozer
    Chris Bosh
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Paul
    Michael Redd
    Deron Williams

Some of the commentary I have heard is that we might not have enough size, particularly if our "bigs" get into foul trouble. Just my own opinion, but I don't have any criticism of the selections, and expect this to be a dynamite team that wins the Gold decisively.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    No particluar surprises.

Kobe Bryant
    LeBron James
    Dwayne Wade
    Carmelo Anthony
    Jason Kidd
    Tayshaun Prince
    Carlos Boozer
    Chris Bosh
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Paul
    Michael Redd
    Deron Williams

Some of the commentary I have heard is that we might not have enough size, particularly if our "bigs" get into foul trouble. Just my own opinion, but I don't have any criticism of the selections, and expect this to be a dynamite team that wins the Gold decisively.
    Mmmmm... interesting.... that sounds similar to commentary and criticisms of Duke teams.

I'm a little surprised Tyson Chandler isn't there. I figured he'd get a spot since Amare declined to go. Still, size shouldn't be an issue with guys like Howard, Boozer, Bosh, etc.

I wouldn't be suprised to see LeBron, Carmello, or Prince playing the 4 at any given time. International play seems to be much more perimeter oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    I wouldn't be suprised to see LeBron, Carmello, or Prince playing the 4 at any given time. International play seems to be much more perimeter oriented.
    Carmello has been our starting "4".

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Carmello has been our starting "4".
    Insert Coach K boiler-plate:

"We don't look at them as position numbers; we look at them as basketball players."

Lack of "beef"

The primary criticism of the team, from ESPN expert Chris Sheridan who has been covering the international game for 12 years, is that the combination of inconsistent FIBA officiating and the rough physical play allowed by FIBA will combine to plant Howard on the bench during an elimination game leaving us thinner up front. It is interesting that despite European's rep as being soft, the FIBA game is very physical, especially when it comes to moving screens and such. Sheridan does pride himself on being a nay sayer with the flexibility to say "I told you so" or "they beat the odds" depending on the outcome. FIBA officiating is quirky with 1972 being the most egregious example and Tim Duncan's foul trouble in '04 being a recent, practical example. Bottom line, if we can't win with this line-up, that has been playing together for a couple of years in a row (at least big chunks of them have), then we'll have to tip our cap because this is truly putting forth our best effort, despite a couple of the best Americans who might not be present (e.g. Duncan, KG, Pierce, etc.)

Pick and Roll

Keeping with the concept that a great team has depth that can help the starters prepare for games in practice, I like the idea of having both William and Boozer from utah on the team. They should be able to work an effective pick and roll (taught by one of the best on the play in Sloan) to help us avoid another loss to Greece or a similar team employing the strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    FIBA officiating is quirky with 1972 being the most egregious example and Tim Duncan's foul trouble in '04 being a recent, practical example.
    I remembered Duncan being largeley ineffective in his last Olympic debut, but didn't remember a good reason other than he got hacked hard every time he touched the ball. Do you have a link to the article? Or, better yet, what's your recollection of why Duncan had such a problem with the officiating?
    "There can BE only one."

Duncan just flat out got jobbed by the refs in Athens, theres no real other explaination. On a fouls per minute basis (I can't remember the article, but it was on ESPN.com at some point), he got whistled for twice as many fouls as he does during his NBA career in the supposedly "more contact allowed" international game.

The game that we went out in, was officiated by Spanish refs. We went out largely b/c Tim Duncan picked up 3 quick fouls, then a quick 4th foul upon returning to the game, and fouled out with 5 minutes remaining. The team that we beat in a heated, contentious battle the game before (including a little jawing between Pau Gasol and Duncan): Spain. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. . .

Calling FIBA refs "quirky" is a polite way of saying "if they want to screw you they will". Tim Donaghy was "quirky" too. We still should have won though, we should be able to win even if the refs have bet against us.

I'm a little surprised Tyson Chandler isn't there. I figured he'd get a spot since Amare declined to go. Still, size shouldn't be an issue with guys like Howard, Boozer, Bosh, etc.
    really? he lacks an offensive game really, and he was beaten out by 2 allstars (bosh and boozer). so I'm not surprised at all. In fact, I haven't heard anyone on this board ever predict that he would make the final 12.

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    Agreed. As someone else pointed out, melo is the starting 4 on this team (or at least he has been). I expect him to be our leading scorer in China, though I expect kobe to play the most minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    really? he lacks an offensive game really, and he was beaten out by 2 allstars (bosh and boozer). so I'm not surprised at all. In fact, I haven't heard anyone on this board ever predict that he would make the final 12.
    Well...I put very little into the predictions that are made on this board. However, I do put some credibility into the group that played on last summer's team. Chandler isn't a strong offensive option, but I don't think this team will struggle for offense. I'd think he'd be in the game to provide strong defense in the post and rebounding. I'm not saying I have a problem with him not being on the team (he is an alternate) and I have plenty of confidence in Boozer and Bosh, but I don't think Chandler would struggle to find a role on this team.

Well...I put very little into the predictions that are made on this board. However, I do put some credibility into the group that played on last summer's team. Chandler isn't a strong offensive option, but I don't think this team will struggle for offense. I'd think he'd be in the game to provide strong defense in the post and rebounding. I'm not saying I have a problem with him not being on the team (he is an alternate) and I have plenty of confidence in Boozer and Bosh, but I don't think Chandler would struggle to find a role on this team.
    There are quite a few knowledgeable posters here, imho. FWIW, I got 10 out of 12, with the miss being having Amare and Joe Johnson and not having Bosh and Chris Paul. But Amare pulled out on his own a couple weeks ago (which was a little after I made my prediction):

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...hlight=olympic

I don't think he would struggle to find a role, but much like last summer, it would include being the last person off the bench.