Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC

    Why Isn't Bill Werber's Jersey In The Rafters?

    What a 100th birthday gift that would be.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by B-well View Post
    What a 100th birthday gift that would be.
    Great point. He was Duke's first basketball AA!

    Werber to the rafters.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA
    What number did he wear?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tampa
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    What number did he wear?
    He didn't wear a number. He graduated before players wore numbers. Note that Carolina has retired jerseys of players without numbers.
    ___________________
    Mike Stein
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    Werber

    Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    He didn't wear a number. He graduated before players wore numbers. Note that Carolina has retired jerseys of players without numbers.
    1. Great idea. That way we can save a # for our next player worthy of the honor and not use up yet another number.

    2. They (unc) also hang banners in the rafters for "championships" that don't exist.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!

    The awesome power of the DRB

    Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    He didn't wear a number. He graduated before players wore numbers. Note that Carolina has retired jerseys of players without numbers.
    So let's petition Coach K, Kevin White and what'shisname to retire Bill Werber's jersey with just his name on it. I think it (retiring his jersey) is a great idea!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  7. #7

    Great idea

    Itís amazing how the game has changed in that time. In 1930, when Mr. Werber became Dukeís first All-America, the leading scorer was Joe Croson with 9.5 PPG.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    He didn't wear a number. He graduated before players wore numbers.

    I'm in. OLD SCHOOL for realz! He's fabulous...for cryin' out loud, he played with the Babe!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Itís amazing how the game has changed in that time. In 1930, when Mr. Werber became Dukeís first All-America, the leading scorer was Joe Croson with 9.5 PPG.
    And Croson was a '6-4" center, yes, a center at 76 inches, if what I've learned from Bill Brill has managed to stick with me.

    It's a little known fact that Bill Werber served the beer at keg parties in 1930.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Whoís gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    And Croson was a '6-4" center, yes, a center at 76 inches, if what I've learned from Bill Brill has managed to stick with me.

    It's a little known fact that Bill Werber served the beer at keg parties in 1930.
    It's also little known that Dick Nixon had a car while in Law School and made runs to Virginia to supply booze to others.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It's also little known that Dick Nixon had a car while in Law School and made runs to Virginia to supply booze to others.
    Sounds like Nixon helped start Nascar.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It's also little known that Dick Nixon had a car while in Law School and made runs to Virginia to supply booze to others.
    Smokey and the Tricky Dick Bandit?

Similar Threads

  1. Moving to Jersey
    By nczephdog in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-01-2008, 01:15 PM
  2. JJ's jersey retirement?
    By TwoDukeTattoos in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 02:44 PM
  3. Kyle Singler jersey
    By kramerbr in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 10:56 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 12:12 AM
  5. #10 To The Rafters!
    By blazindw in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 10:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •