Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Visiting Coach K's Camp

My 12 yo son and I will be driving in from NJ and visiting Duke the last weekend in June as he is attending Coach K's Camp. It is the last week of camp. He is excited about possibly seeing/meeting some Duke players and coaches. I think Coach K might be on the road with Olympic commitments, but hopefully he might be there for a day or 2. Since my son will be busy learning, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what dear old dad might do to kill some time and where to eat alone while in Durham? Thanks.
    Last edited by -jk; 06-20-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: removed broken tag

As always, I recommend the Que Shack for BBQ.
    Take your clubs and get a few rounds in at the WaDuke course, too. See if the Bulls are in town at their sweetheart of a park.

I beg to differ: I've never been a huge fan of the Q-shack. I recommend Bullock's instead, a true Durham specialty. (But try to look up their business hours ahead of time. I was once really disappointed when I went there on a Monday and it turned out they're not open then.) Heck, depending on how much time you have, you could try both and compare!

And I don't know how much you've been around Duke before, but just walking around the campus is pretty nice. The Duke gardens are a nice place to hang out.

If you have a lot of time to spare, I also recommend the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh. And the Carolina Theatre usually has interesting indie films playing.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    I beg to differ: I've never been a huge fan of the Q-shack. I recommend Bullock's instead, a true Durham specialty. (But try to look up their business hours ahead of time. I was once really disappointed when I went there on a Monday and it turned out they're not open then.) Heck, depending on how much time you have, you could try both and compare!

And I don't know how much you've been around Duke before, but just walking around the campus is pretty nice. The Duke gardens are a nice place to hang out.

If you have a lot of time to spare, I also recommend the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh. And the Carolina Theatre usually has interesting indie films playing.
    I would second the above suggestions and add the Nasher Museum on campus. A tour of the Duke Chapel is also very interesting. Add the Museum of Natural History and the Museum of History in Raleigh and you'll find a variety of interesting topics. While some may disagree, if there's time, drive through Chapel Hill and some of the Carolina campus. (You can visit the theater where Andy Griffith got started in acting.) A great restaurant with regional foods is Dip's Kitchen. Momma Dip is a successful female entrepreneur from an era when women didn't/ couldn't go into business on their own. Her cookbooks are fabulous and the recipes possible to make on your own!

Hog Heaven on Guess Road...best bbq in Durham. Outside of bbq, check out Pops, Watts Grocery, Fosters.

Go for a walk along the Eno River. Trails everywhere but my favorite is at the end of Cole Mill Road...swinging bridge and everything.

NC Museum of Art is great but don't skip Duke's Nasher Museum. It is beautiful (at least on the inside, the exterior is hideous and out of place on Duke's campus IMO) and has a nice cafe for lunch.

also check out perkins library and the chapel in the divinity school (right of the main chapel)

Bullock's is definately a good bet. Nosh is also pretty good if your into more ecclectic food.

Pickup

You should try to get into the pickup games at Cameron at night too. And don't feel afraid to write up reports.

But seriously, it is cool to see the guys play pickup if you can get in. From my own experience, there is not much correlation between the pickup games and the season but it will make the summer go by more quickly for you.

^whoops...meant to say "you're"...my bad

Arrow Are you kidding me?

I can't believe noone has said this (especially with it being June and all)...

Go visit the SARAH P. DUKE GARDENS!!!!!!!

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I can't believe noone has said this (especially with it being June and all)...

Go visit the SARAH P. DUKE GARDENS!!!!!!!

BEAUTIFUL!!!!
    Not trying to be snarky, but I did say it (see post#3). Great minds think alike!

Bullocks? It is an institution, and I like the pics on the wall...but their BBQ is very mediocre at best--give me A & M or Allen and Son's anytime over that...Q Shack isn't NC BBQ but it's better. I need to check out Hog Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Bullocks? It is an institution, and I like the pics on the wall...but their BBQ is very mediocre at best--give me A & M or Allen and Son's anytime over that...Q Shack isn't NC BBQ but it's better. I need to check out Hog Heaven.
    Bullock's has the absolute best Brunswick Stew, though, IMO. Allen & Son's stew has too many chunks of tomato for my taste. And their fried chicken is really good or so my husband says.

Q Shack isn't meant to be traditional NC BBQ. With that in mind they have some great other stuff. I especially like the smoked turkey, the Q Cobb salad and the fried orka (best in the area - better even than Mama Dip or Bullock's I have to admit) My son likes the sweet potato fries and the fact that they have Cheerwine on tap.

As for the b-ball camp, since it's the last session I think the freshmen should be on campus for the second session of summer school so they definitely should be having pickup games for the 9pm evening program. My son was there last week (the first session) and the only current players who were there were Paulus and Zoubek (both were coaching at the camp). The evening programs were all "lectures" including appearances by Paulus, Jason Williams and JJ Redick all of whom spoke for a few minutes, took some questions and also called in kids from the camp audience for contests and the like. It was very entertaining.

Also the last evening of camp will be watermelon night. A Duke policeman sets up tables around 8pm on the k-ville area lawn where he slices watermelon using a machete. It is certainly a sight to see.

Oops!

Not trying to be snarky, but I did say it (see post#3). Great minds think alike!
    Ack! My apologies, sir. I hate when people do a poor job of reading through the posts, and now I find myself guilty of this offense!

Anyhoo, the Gardens are beautiful this time of year.

Allen and Sons? You've got to be kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    GTHC

'cue

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    I wouldn't think Devilirium is kidding. Allen and Son (no sonS as I think none off his children are interested in continuing the family business after the current owner/chef/cook/'cuemaster retires or dies) is regularly considered one of the finer 'cue joints in NC, east and/or west by diners and restaurant/'cue aficionados in the area. He cooks his pigs the old-fashioned way (over wood [hickory?] and in a pit perhaps (according to stories I have read about him for years) for hours every AM. We have not eaten there for a couple years but I remember the portions being generous, but a bit pricey, and the quality (taste, texture, etc) of the meat and sides being excellent. We have not been to the Q Shack in Durham but we like the one in North Hills Mall in Raleigh. We have not discovered Hog Heaven yet but with our frequent trips to Derm, we shall plan on a visit or three over the next few years as we watch our daughter study/work/play(?) her way through Duke.

Hog Heaven

HH definitely gets my vote. It's on Guess Rd. just south of 40/85 right by the Carolina-Duke Inn.

My nephew (a Heel) ate there today and actually called me to rave about it. Yes, he's from Chapel Hill but he is a connoisseur of fine BBQ (and he loved the sides).

Also, you'll get your money's worth as the portions are huge. They serve the BBQ sandwich with a fork becuase it's so overstuffed.

eating on the Duke campus

If you need a place for lunch on campus, do not miss the Refectory Cafe in the Divinity School. Just enter the school through the doors to the left of the Chapel and there are signs.

Thumbs up JJ's old hangout

Cosmic Cantina

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    HH definitely gets my vote. It's on Guess Rd. just south of 40/85 right by the Carolina-Duke Inn.

My nephew (a Heel) ate there today and actually called me to rave about it. Yes, he's from Chapel Hill but he is a connoisseur of fine BBQ (and he loved the sides).

Also, you'll get your money's worth as the portions are huge. They serve the BBQ sandwich with a fork becuase it's so overstuffed.
    I am going to agree with HH. We are leaving Durham soon and we are sad to be leaving it. Great food and good prices. I like the potato salad as a side, and the BBQ is... mmmm.