Dan Uggla -- I'm convinced

I just returned from an interleague game between the A's and the Marlins. It was tied 3-3 going into the 9th. Marlins 2d baseman Dan Uggla, a third year player, proved to me why he is a superstar in the making. In some ways, A's closer Huston Street gave him the opportunity, but he took it big time. With the bases loaded as a result of 2 walks (1 intentional), a stolen base and a well-fielded single, Uggla ripped a double off the left field wall.

It was the second night in a row that he beat Street, homering off him yesterday. In that game he went 4 for 6, including 2 HRs in a 12 inning donnybrook finally won by the A's.

But Uggla is more than a one-game hot hitter. He leads the majors in HRs (23), he is 2d in slugging pct (.650) and is hitting about .300. He's 7th in RBIs (5th in the NL), 7th in OPS (4th in the NL) and he has only grounded into 3 double plays all year.

As a second baseman he seems adequate, and has a fielding pct of .984 (5th in the NL). I don't think he qualifies as anything better than an average second baseman, but with his offensive skills, who cares?

Given the fact that this is his 2d full season (debuted in 2006 and didn't play too much), but did well in 2007, I think this guy is blossoming into one of the superstars of tomorrow, but is reaching that level of play today.

I imagine the Atlanta 'mafia' has seen him more than anyone on this board except for lurking Marlins fans, and I'm interested in their take.

Dan Uggla is the sole bright spot on my trainwreck of a fantasy baseball season.

Well, not the only one, but the brightest certainly.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I go to a lot of Marlins games and Uggla is truly the bright spot. Seems they never win with me in the ball park!