Thumbs up I like applesauce.

Natural, unsweetened. I even make it from scratch sometimes. Mmmm, good. Actually good to fill a sweet craving (whodathunk?).

Just thought I'd share.

I like it too. Grew up eating Mott's, but most of them are good.

First time I went to Bullock's as a freshman, I had hush puppies for the first time. I always thought they needed "something". I tried butter, I salted them, I tried ketchup. But when I dipped them into the applesauce I'd gotten as a side dish, I knew I had found the perfect condiment for puppies! I got lots of strange looks when I dipped 'em, but don't knock it until you try it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Mmmmmm. I love applesauce. One of my favorite comfort meals: pork chops, apple sauce, and green beans. Oh, and Guinness.

I prefer to have applesauce with my latkes*, as opposed to sour cream (blech, but that's probably another thread).

*Latkes = Jewish potato pancakes often eaten at Hanukkah, however I find them to be tasty year round.

Smile Agree with 2535 miles

No one should ever eat pork chops, stuffed chops, pork loin, pork roast, etc. without applesauce. That would be a sin.

Trader Joe's has a wonderful unsweetened applesauce. YUM. Actually had applesauce tonight with my homemade BBQ spareribs. (...uh, I didn't make the ribs, just the sauce)

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    No one should ever eat pork chops, stuffed chops, pork loin, pork roast, etc. without applesauce. That would be a sin.

Trader Joe's has a wonderful unsweetened applesauce. YUM. Actually had applesauce tonight with my homemade BBQ spareribs. (...uh, I didn't make the ribs, just the sauce)
    Unsweetened is the way to go. Shake a little cinnamon and a dash o' salt on top and you're in heaven. Pork chops are on the menu for this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I prefer to have applesauce with my latkes*
    Absolutely on latkes! And pork chops too (as long as you're not keeping kosher )
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post

Then call me a sinner because I never eat applesauce with my pork chops. My pork chops are so good they don't need applesauce.

My wife and I make and then freeze our own. Much better than any store bought variety.

Apple sauce is an elixir for all food! I eat it with burgers, steak, pork and alone. I also like apple butter bread with pork loin! That is a slice of heaven in a meal.

I make homemade applesauce/butter in the fall. I use a combo of Granny Smiths (for tartness) and Galas. After running the cooked apples through the food mill, I add JUST enough brown sugar to take the edge off and gradually add cinnamon and fresh ground cloves to taste.

I don't eat applesauce with pork. I save my homemade pepper jelly for that.

Hey, so can y'all ship some to me at home?? I've always hated applesauce, but would be glad to be proved wrong.

Never heard of its association with pork... hmmmm...

I make mine with a mix of apples, usually whatever looks good or whatever I've picked (if I've been apple picking), with a few granny smith's thrown in. I don't use sugar, but use apple cider instead. I put about an half inch - inch of apple cider in the bottom of a large stock pot. Cut up apples into large chunks (quarters? depends on the size of the apple). Cover & steam/cook for a while until apples are soft. Take out apples and run through food mill (eliminates skin & core here... note that leaving skin on until this point has provided a pink tint to my applesauce in the past, so don't be alarmed). You can adjust the food mill for the smoothness/chunkiness you like. Add cider from pot as needed to thin out/add sweetness.

I like mine cold, so I let it cool in the fridge. Voila! Yummy!