Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who is the world's greatest athlete today?

A buddy of mine opined that it was Tiger Woods. I have a hard time going there. As a hoops guy, I naturally think of Kobe and Lebron. Without a Bo Jackson-type on the scene, who else do you all think should be in the conversation?

Depends on your definition of "greatest" but I'd still go with Kobe even after the dismal performance in the finals.

He hasn't had that great a year this year - but a year ago Federer would definitely be in the mix.

Cristiano Ronaldo

And this is coming from someone who doesn't even post in the Soccer thread.

I go by people who I think have completely dominated their sport. For me, that is Tiger and C. Ronaldo. Federer has dominated, but so far, he is "human" this year, so he's further down for me. Kobe and Lebron and others in the NBA are great, but they are far from dominant over everyone.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I go by people who I think have completely dominated their sport. For me, that is Tiger and C. Ronaldo. Federer has dominated, but so far, he is "human" this year, so he's further down for me. Kobe and Lebron and others in the NBA are great, but they are far from dominant over everyone.
    Well, since Tiger is out for the year, Federer is probably more dominant than him as of Tuesday... if you are just considering right now and not the past couple of years or anything. If you just count this year from Jan to Monday, Tiger is way better. If you count a few years, Federer and Tiger are very comparible.

Overall, though it depends on semantics. Greatest athlete doesn't mean MOST ATHLETIC, right?

I mean I always have trouble saying a golf player is as athletic as guys in sports like football, basketball, etc... I mean otherwise, old John Daily would be seen to have been a better athlete than Battier, Duhon, Maggette, etc...
    http://golf-swing.net/22/john-daly-shirtless/
    Sorry, but I just don't see it.

Greatest athlete, though... that would just mean most dominant in their particular sport, right? Not which guy could go into any of a bunch of different sports and be good at any of them. If THAT is what you mean... well, that is a different question altogether.

I might have to go with Michael Phelps on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by bhd28 View Post
    I mean I always have trouble saying a golf player is as athletic as guys in sports like football, basketball, etc... I mean otherwise, old John Daily would be seen to have been a better athlete than Battier, Duhon, Maggette, etc...
    http://golf-swing.net/22/john-daly-shirtless/
    Sorry, but I just don't see it.
    My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
    I am seriously cracking up right now!

I went straight to the reply button.

Talking Poor Cristiano Ronaldo loses again

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Cristiano Ronaldo

And this is coming from someone who doesn't even post in the Soccer thread.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. Especially after Cristiano's Portuguese team lost to Germany today!

One minor quibble with today's game: we didn't get to see whether he could blow another pk in a crucial game.

I loathe him. In my book, he's up there with Beaker.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I agree that it is important to clarify most athletic and most dominant. Tiger Woods has absolutely transcended his sport - he has won on every type of course playing many different types of golf. Federer has still never won the French Open, so he is out in my book.

No basketball player is currently thought of as almost playing a whole different game the way Tiger is with golf.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Breen's mother, let me tell you.

Where has he been, anyway?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

I loathe him. In my book, he's up there with Beaker.
    I guess Tyler Hansbrough and Bobby Frasor should be considered. After all, they leap from the tops of buildings.

Okay, what defines athlete? I ask because some would contend that the athletic ability needed to play golf isn't that great.

I might suggest Usain Bolt, who could be on his way to being the greatest sprinter ever...

The golf swing is the most violent action in sport. Butch Beard told me that in Palm Springs years ago and I believe him. Tiger going away. There is no second.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    The golf swing is the most violent action in sport. Butch Beard told me that in Palm Springs years ago and I believe him.
    Don't believe him. If it were the most violent action in sport, we would see way more serious golf injuries than we do. Off the top of my head, I would think much of offensive line play in football is more brutal. Also, major league pitching completely ruins shoulders and arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Don't believe him. If it were the most violent action in sport, we would see way more serious golf injuries than we do. Off the top of my head, I would think much of offensive line play in football is more brutal. Also, major league pitching completely ruins shoulders and arms.
    Oh come on... offensive line in football? Violent? You must be kidding. Next year, once the senior NFL tour starts (must be over 55 to play) you will see how easy offensive linemen have it. That is no where near as violent as a golf swing. Believe me, I should know... my dad has taught golf for years and played 4+ rounds a week for the past 30+ years.

Not even close!

Tiger, Tiger, Tiger.

No one else even comes close. If we were picking 'best athlete' in the past, or 'of all time' there are others who come to mind. But, for now, this is a no brainer. Tiger Woods.