Musings from the saddle of my 5200

Last year we had a cycling thread that was rather far-ranging. I thought I would introduce this thread to see what develops. The idea here is for other cyclists who visit the Board to post thoughts, visual oddities and other things that they’ve experienced while in the saddle. Some of the items below aren’t unique to cycling, that’s just when I happen to notice them

My story: Riding bikes since age six. First “long” ride at age 15 (450 miles down the BRP from Peaks of Otter, VA to Waynesville, NC). Used to race mountain bikes. Years ago I completed about 50-60 Triathlons with the longest being a “Tin Man” (half Iron Man).

Now ride Trek 5200 (formerly USPS “Team” bike) about 300-400 Kilometers per week. Have ridden the Cycle North Carolina ride last five years and am planning on doing so again this year.

So here are a few things I've noticed over 42 years in the saddle:
    * The drivers that are most scary for me are Senior citizens and construction workers. The most courteous and respectful- Latino immigrants.

* The larger the SUV, the smaller the person (usually female) behind the wheel.

* The more aggressively a driver passes the greater the likelihood that driver will turn off the road in less than a mile.

* Most drivers have absolutely no clue about how to navigate a four-way Stop Sign.

* If I had picked up every auto part I’ve seen on the shoulder of the road—I could have built three cars.

* Upon spotting certain auto parts, I’ve often asked myself: “How did the car keep running?”

* Drinkers of “cheap” beer are litterbugs. So are folks who consume fast food in their cars.

* Why is it every car that tries to impress you with its power (by revving the engine or stomping on the gas as they pass) is of the four-cylinder variety? And usually damaged? And dirty?

* The courteous drivers- those whom attempt to exhibit patience when trying to pass you, always lose their patience at the absolute worst time.

* Whenever cyclist vs. motorist issues hit the paper (which has happened twice in the Triangle this year) why do some folks always write letters to the editor saying that cyclists should have to register their bikes and “pay taxes to use the roads. ” What? Because I’m a cyclist I don’t have to pay taxes?!? HOLY CRAP! To what address do I write in order to claim my refund?

* I’ve seen tons of “hovels” from the saddle over all these years and it never fails to amaze me that no matter that the roof is collapsing, the windows are broken, the foundation is sagging, the siding is absent, and the chimney has collapsed, they still manage to have a satellite dish and a relatively new car.

* Why are hunters and fisherman always the biggest litterbugs?

* If, as you near the outskirts of a small town, you see a Wal*Mart, it’s a sure bet that the downtown will be blighted.

* China’s economy is experiencing what, 8% growth per year? Coincidence that every small town now has a brand new Dollar Store? I think not…

* When the DOT “patches” a road the result is often worse (for cyclists) than the original damage. Speaking of road damage, does anyone remember when North Carolina’s motto was “The Good Roads State”? Not anymore…

* Speaking of road construction... with all the innovations we've experienced over the years, road construction remains the same- One guy actually working with six others standing around watching him.

* What are all those folks on cell phones talking about?

Great idea. I usually do my riding on the W&OD trail in the DC region, but am riding around High Point, NC this summer for 12 weeks as I intern here. I've also biked extensively around DC, through traffic, etc.

- Where do all the water bottles I find on the side of the path come from? How do other cyclists not notice losing the bottles from their cages? Are they falling out of jersey pockets? Those things are like $8-$10 each!

- When I'm drafting behind a cute female roadie, is she worried that I'm staring at her I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.? Because I am, but I have little other choice. I don't mind...

- At crosswalks where the MUP (multi-use path) has a stopsign, who has the right of way? I thought motorists always yielded to pedestrians in crosswalks. I assume the stop-signs are only there to keep bikers/pedestrians from heading straight into the intersection without looking first. Evidently some motorists think they fact that you have a stop sign and they don't means they don't have to yield. Maybe they are right?

- The motorists that make me most nervous are the ones that nervously slow down behind you, then wait forever to go around. All I need is for you to give me some space, there's no need to slow to 20 mph on a 45mph road. I'm always afraid that's going to cause problems for me coming from the line you've formed behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    - The motorists that make me most nervous are the ones that nervously slow down behind you, then wait forever to go around. All I need is for you to give me some space, there's no need to slow to 20 mph on a 45mph road. I'm always afraid that's going to cause problems for me coming from the line you've formed behind you.
    That reminded me of another type of driver I completely hate. They are the one with the dog in the back seat and the window rolled down and as they pass you, slowly, the dog starts barking like you stole something. Jeez, I nearly soil myself when that happens.