Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Generically what is the best single play in all of sports?

I don't mean a play that has already happened, I mean generically, overall in sports, what is the best play? A 3-point shot, dunk, home run, slap shot, knockout, 2 cars bumping each other for a photo finish, 85 yard run up the middle, 85 yard pass, etc.

For me it's a throw from the outfield nailing a runner at the plate.

Regardless of the level it's great. We went to watch my [16 year old] daughter's boyfriend's team play last night and the game ended with his center fielder nailing a throw to home plate, square on target and positioned perfectly to allow the catcher to make a tag. We were all on our feet!
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 06-10-2008 at 09:48 AM. Reason: clarification

I would have to say a buzzer beater from halfcourt or beyond. The kind where the buzzer goes off when the shot is in mid air and the ball seems to hang forever. And on the off chance it goes in, it is the most exilarating play.

Being the soccer fan I am, a thunderstrike from 40 yeards out is always good, especially free kicks.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W5XpXU8TB...eature=related

I'd say the Hail Mary in football. It has to be for the win though.

I would throw in the unassisted triple play in baseball. It has happened, but rarely.

"The unassisted triple play, a triple play in which only one fielder handles the ball, is the least common type of triple play, and is arguably the rarest occurrence in baseball: it has happened only 14 times in the Modern Era. Triple plays, even of the unassisted variety, are not extraordinarily difficult for major league fielders to achieve; their rarity is due to their dependence on specific circumstances arising in a game." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_play

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I would throw in the unassisted triple play in baseball. It has happened, but rarely.
    That's what came to my mind at first, but the problem with it is that it doesn't necessarily require extraordinary skill. It's mostly luck, plus the ability to be at least an average fielder and have decent awareness of the runners.

The Hail Mary is good but often it's just a 50-yard heave with some luck thrown in. If you add evading a sack, and another 15 years or so in the air, a la Doug Flutie vs. Miami, then you've really got something.

I remain in awe of soccer players who can bend their strikes around walls, and break them in either direction.

The bicycle kick can be pretty awesome too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYkdPxRwPVA

at :39

"As electrifying as a hair dryer thrown into a hot tub"

Are we talking the most impressive to watch, or the hardest to accomplish? Hardest to accomplish I'd have to go with a baseball unassisted triple play. Best to watch for me are any buzzerbeaters to win a college basketball game, especially in March Madness (see the WKU shot this year in the first round)

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    The Hail Mary is good but often it's just a 50-yard heave with some luck thrown in. If you add evading a sack, and another 15 years or so in the air, a la Doug Flutie vs. Miami, then you've really got something.
    Doug Flutie vs Miami was a fluke, BC sucks, Flutie sucks, that play never happened!!! It was created by the same film crew that faked the moon landing (I try to drown that play out as much as possible, and yes I do believe we landed on the moon and it wasn't a fake)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Doug Flutie vs Miami was a fluke, BC sucks, Flutie sucks, that play never happened!!!
    I knew it wouldn't last...

Are we listing best as in highest level of difficulty? Most exciting to watch? If it's skill, it might say getting a perfect 10 in a gymnastics routine. Those people are insane.

I have to vote for the last second buzzer-beater shot in Basketball. Whatever makes the likely winning team the definite losing team because of an incredible shot at the last instance. Doesn't matter if it's a bomb (Dockery) or a well-executed, heads-up layin (Duhon), because it's a dagger either way.

Now, it it weren't "best play," but most exciting event, I'd give my nod to some Olympic events -- 100m dash, 4x100m freestyle relay.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I knew it wouldn't last...
    Painful memories my friend, very painful.

Hard time deciding

This is a lot like asking a music lover to name their favorite band or to ask a someone who loves food to name their favorite dish. I think it's just impossible. I love this thread though and here's my lame attempt to try and rank these:
    1. The buzzer beater in basketball
    2. Kick/punt returned for a touchdown
    3. Bottom of the 9th home run to win it
    4. Penalty kicks in soccer (Thanks for the video Ben63; great shot!)
    5. 100 Yard Touch Down Run in Madden 2008

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Are we talking the most impressive to watch, or the hardest to accomplish? Hardest to accomplish I'd have to go with a baseball unassisted triple play. Best to watch for me are any buzzerbeaters to win a college basketball game, especially in March Madness (see the WKU shot this year in the first round)
    impressive to watch..the play that gets you on your feet yelling and screaming!

Surprised no one has mentioned this...

A sudden death overtime goal in ice hockey would be my vote.

It's just amazing to sit there and watch the game knowing that literally, at any SECOND, the game could be over.
    "There can BE only one."

An incredible glove save in hockey, where the goalie snaps a surefire goal right out of mid air, is fanastic. The full split toe save is a good one too.

hole in one

98 yard punt.

Two out,two strike walk off home run. If it is in a play off game, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Two out,two strike walk off home run. If it is in a play off game, even better.
    Then there is the corollary to that, sort of. Top of the ninth, one out, bases loaded, home team ahead by one run, a hard grounder to 3rd, a throw home, a throw to first, walk off double play.

My favorites:

1. Basketball buzzer-beater
    2. Golf hole-in-one
    3. Baseball no-hitter
    4. Hockey penalty shot
    5. Baseball game-winning homer
    24. Flying suplex off the top turnbuckle
    25. Any soccer play (sorry, folks)