Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jason's ridiculous adventure

I am sitting in a hotel room right now in Vegas. I just got done with the first day of play at the World Series of Poker. I am exhausted, excited, frustrated, and many other things. But the biggest thing I am at this point is hungry.

So, I am going to eat but before I do, I wanted to let all of you know about a blog I am writing on my experience so far. Check it out at: scoopthepot.blogspot.com/

--Jason "I'll let you know how I did on day one tomorrow " Evans

Good luck

I enjoyed visiting your blog and will check back in tomorrow to read your updates. Good luck with your hands.
    Bob Green

May the cards be with you.

Good luck Jason! And yes, may the cards be with you (and the Force, too!)

Question: Is your $5000 stake your money or CNN's ?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Best of luck, Jason. I hope to go to the WSOP one day, too. Tough luck with the jacks, but at least you got your money in good!

Hey Jason, good luck! I feel your pain and was crushed just reading your blog. I hope you have tons more fun.

Was the A-10 a good call only because he made his hand?

a bad call

The A-10 was a bad call since he only had a 20% chance of winning the hand...he was lucky. He had to think jason was bluffing.

Jason, would you have called your hand? You bet first and he should have folded. However, if it was reversed would you have called. You had 80% chance, but if you do that 3 times over the course of the tourney you are down to 50/50. You have to play/gamble occasionally (due to blinds and antes), but it seems like with that many people you would want to keep your gambling (even when the odds are in your favor) to a minimum? Any insights on how the pros play with that many tables?

Good story Jason. I'm a big poker fan/player and love reading these kind of stories told from people I "know" so to speak. Tough luck, but its very cool you can say you've been there and played in it. 2300 people involved? We're you playing in the Main Event?

Quote Originally Posted by kexman View Post
    The A-10 was a bad call since he only had a 20% chance of winning the hand...he was lucky. He had to think jason was bluffing.

Jason, would you have called your hand? You bet first and he should have folded. However, if it was reversed would you have called. You had 80% chance, but if you do that 3 times over the course of the tourney you are down to 50/50. You have to play/gamble occasionally (due to blinds and antes), but it seems like with that many people you would want to keep your gambling (even when the odds are in your favor) to a minimum? Any insights on how the pros play with that many tables?
    I think his call was solid. The only way he is behind is if I have a face-card pocket pair (which I did). He could have easily put me on a suited Q-10 or J-10 or an A-9 in which case he would have been a pretty solid favorite. Also, he was not calling off all his remaining chips (though he would have been pretty short-stacked with only about 3000 left if he was wrong). Yes, it was a bad call because I had Jacks but I think it was ok aside from that.

One kinda cool note -- Anna, the poker pro sitting next to me, said "pocket Jacks" right before I turned over my hand on the all-in call. Based on the betting, she knew exactly what I had. I take that as a compliment to some extent because it means I played the Js correctly, I think. It is also kinda scary as it shows the pros really know what they are doing, ya know?

The second part of your question is a good one. Would I have made the call if he had been all-in and I knew I was, at best, an 80-20 favorite but was putting my whole stack at risk. Hmmmm. I think I would have. I had been very successful at not going all-in up to that point in the tournament (only two other times did I put my whole stack at risk) but you have to make a stand at some point. It is hard to get it in much better than 80-20. At some point, luck comes into play and I just got unlucky.

As I said, win that pot and I am one of the top ten chip leaders in the room at that moment. I feel like I was playing solidly enough to make the money at that point, which would have been truly amazing for me. If I had laid it down, I would have had about 6000 left in chips, not quite short-stacked, but getting close. I think you have to make the call if you are in my position.

That said, it always feels better to put the pressure on someone else and force them to make the call rather than calling off the rest of your chips. go all-in first, not second, ya know?

--Jason "thanks for reading the blog everyone" Evans

You definitely got unlucky. One option is to push pre-flop since your stack was so low compared to the combined blinds and antes (With M < 10, Harrington, I think, has you pushing here with mid to high pairs, especially with a lot of limpers - first in vigorish and all. I may be remembering wrong though). The blinds must have been moving up fast, as 8,000 is a pretty low average stack when compared to the $1,100 in antes and blinds.

A-10 maybe doesn't call you down pre flop. I know I don't call with A-10 pre flop for a significant chunk of my stack, but I don't know how deep the guy with the A-10 was. If he has a huge stack, he probably calls anyway.

All that being said, you got 'em in ahead and lost. That's poker. Good luck in the next tourney!! I'm jealous!

Good Luck

Jason, good luck from the ATL with your WSOP experience.

Good luck

Good luck from here, too. And thanks for posting and the blog. I am really interested in seeing how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    You definitely got unlucky. One option is to push pre-flop since your stack was so low compared to the combined blinds and antes (With M < 10, Harrington, I think, has you pushing here with mid to high pairs, especially with a lot of limpers - first in vigorish and all. I may be remembering wrong though). The blinds must have been moving up fast, as 8,000 is a pretty low average stack when compared to the $1,100 in antes and blinds.

A-10 maybe doesn't call you down pre flop. I know I don't call with A-10 pre flop for a significant chunk of my stack, but I don't know how deep the guy with the A-10 was. If he has a huge stack, he probably calls anyway.

All that being said, you got 'em in ahead and lost. That's poker. Good luck in the next tourney!! I'm jealous!
    I certainly thought about a pre-flop push. With so many callers there was a nice chunck of change in the pot already, but I wanted to have the option to get away from the hand if there was a lot of paint on the flop. I did not want to put my tournament at risk on Jacks unless I was pretty sure they were a very strong favorite.

Think about it this way-- any call I get pre-flop is probably going to be someone who is coin-flip (2 overcards) or better (high pocket pair) on me. I am losing all my chips to the high pocket pair every day of the week, and I can live with that, but I would have been pretty upset to get a call from a KQ or AQ and then lost to a Q, K, or A on the flop. I wanted the option to stick around which is why I did not pre-flop push.

Hard to say which is the better play. I think my play gave me a chance to double up while the pre-flop play only gets called when you are in much worse of a situation. Does that make any sense?

Then again, Dan Harrington certainly knows better than I do and I may just push all-in if I am fortunate enough to be in a situation like that in the future.

--Jason "thanks for all the interest in my adventure" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-18-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: fixing typo

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I certainly thought about a pre-flop push. With so many callers there was a nice chunck of change in the pot already, but I wanted to have the option to get away from the and if there was a lot of paint on the flop. I did not want to put my tournament at risk on Jacks unless I was pretty sure they were a very strong favorite.

Think about it this way-- any call I get pre-flop is probably going to be someone who is coin-flip (2 overcards) or better (high pocket pair) on me. I am losing all my chips to the high pocket pair every day of the week, and I can live with that, but I would have been pretty upset to get a call from a KQ or AQ and then lost to a Q, K, or A on the flop. I wanted the option to stick around which is why I did not pre-flop push.

Hard to say which is the better play. I think my play gave me a chance to double up while the pre-flop play only gets called when you are in much worse of a situation. Does that make any sense?

Then again, Dan Harrington certainly knows better than I do and I may just push all-in if I am fortunate enough to be in a situation like that in the future.

--Jason "thanks for all the interest in my adventure" Evans
    No criticism here - and I'm not sure either is the better play. You certainly played it to maximize the money. If things work out with the odds, you make more than if everyone folded pre-flop. I'll be following along! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Then again, Dan Harrington certainly knows better than I do
    Is he still wearing those Red Sox flatbrims? I always thought that was hilarious to see on a guy his age.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Former Main Event winner Huck Seed busted out in 17 minutes...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but the Main Event at the World Series of Poker goes from 9 to 2 today.

Live audio is available at www.Bluffmagazine.com

****Spoiler Alert****

After 53 hands, someone finally goes out. Craig Marquis loses out to the straight on the river...the small stack(Kelly Kim) to start the day just earned an additional $380K+ by being patient and sticking around.

****Spoiler Alert****

Kelly Kim goes out the very next hand...

Ymo, are you watching this on tv or is it on the internet... or are you doing the Bluff feed... how are you getting updates?