Thread: Firefox 3

Firefox 3

Today is Download Day for Firefox 3 (Mozilla is trying to set a record for number of downloads in a day).

Has anyone actually been able to get it downloaded? I've only gotten server errors so far.

http://getfirefox.com/

I downloaded the beta a while ago, but havent been able to get the full thing yet today.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Today is Download Day for Firefox 3 (Mozilla is trying to set a record for number of downloads in a day).

Has anyone actually been able to get it downloaded? I've only gotten server errors so far.

I downloaded it last week and uninstalled it the same day - went back to v2. Two programs I use regularly would not load with v3 - incompatible. I would rather have the programs than v3!

Looks like it's working now. www.Mozilla.com/Firefox

I'm using it right now...nothing different about it so far except for the aesthetics.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I'm using it right now...nothing different about it so far except for the aesthetics.
    http://lifehacker.com/396180/field-guide-to-firefox-3

The Add-on manager and Bookmark manager seem to be improved.

Duke Theme, anyone?

Wow...Firefox 3 definitely rocks so far. Seems to be much faster, along with the other improvements. Anything at all to keep me from using IE

Unfortunately, the theme I use for Firefox (Noia Extreme 2.0) hasn't been updated yet for Firefox 3, so that started me on a trek to find something new and exciting!

Along the way, I (unfortunately) found this theme; I then proceeded to gouge my eyes out. BUT, it got me to thinking, why doesn't someone create a Duke theme?

I personally abhor web design, but I bet there's some talented individual out there who wants to whip up a nice Duke theme for Firefox...right? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

-grad_devil

Thumbs down

FF3 is supposed to have better memory management, but I haven't noticed. I'm regretting upgrading, and REALLY hate the new address bar. I downloaded oldbar, but it still keeps the FF3 selecton algorithm. I'm seriously considering downgrading, or switching to Opera.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Does anyonje who has tried it feel like posting about the new features so that the rest of us can make an informed decision about whether or not to download the new version?

I downloaded it to both the desktop and the laptop. I also hate the new address bar. There's something that's been making Firefox crash on my laptop. Very annoying! I hoped that Firefox 3 wouldn't have the problem.
    No soup for you!

I have been using it for two days now. It's still better than using IE, but I will switch back to v2, at least for a while. My Tennessee Titans theme wont work, but that isn't the only reason. It actually seems to be slower, and I have been experiencing problems with Facebook, the only site I use more than DBR. Granted, Facebook was optimized for v2, so when they do something about it, I will use v3.

I don't know that I can speak to benefits-I really haven't seen that much of a difference. It even imported my history, so I could go back to pages I visited within the last two weeks. Rather than just showing the URL, it shows you the title of the page/site. Speed seems a little quicker, but I don't go to many flash-heavy sites.

much faster

For the sites I frequent, it's been *much* faster, and performance-wise it rocks, even when I have 7-10 tabs open. Using v2 I would notice severe performance degradation when I had that many open. I have noticed a couple of crashes using facebook, but I should be spending my time better anyway

I will confess that I rarely use the address bar, so I can't speak to how annoying that is. I have all of my links in the bookmarks toolbar, so they're one click away. I will say that the few times I have used the address bar, it tries to guess what I'm typing from my saved bookmarks...it didn't seem to annoying to me.

--grad_devil

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    For the sites I frequent, it's been *much* faster, and performance-wise it rocks, even when I have 7-10 tabs open.
    7-10 tabs?! I don't think I've had less than 40 tabs open in the past six months. It usually stays between 40-70, and I try to delete some once every couple days or so. (I never "close" firefox - I just kill the process so all my tabs are saved if I need to restart).

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    7-10 tabs?! I don't think I've had less than 40 tabs open in the past six months. It usually stays between 40-70, and I try to delete some once every couple days or so. (I never "close" firefox - I just kill the process so all my tabs are saved if I need to restart).
    Now you can. When you close Firefox 3.0, it asks you if you want to save your tabs for the next time you open. When you open it back up, your tabs reappear as well.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

nice breakdown from the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...?hpid=sec-tech

"Instead, they built a better history function: You don't have to remember a site's address; you have to recall only its title -- or just a word or two of it. As you start typing, Firefox will present a list of all the sites that match, then narrow that list as you continue.If, however, you're a bookmark-tending type, Firefox 3 can help you make more sense of your Web favorites. You can tag them for easier reference, then sort through to see which ones you visit most and which ones collect dust. "

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post

I didn't try. I've been using one of the RCs for FF3 for a couple of weeks now.
    In general, it is far better than FF2 (both for the Mac), but there is one colossally stupid change that they made... the tabs are now "attached" to the toolbar above rather than the page below... very strange decision that looks nice, but ends up being confusing.

Nice to hear I'm not the only one. On my machine at work, I have 4 windows open with varying number of tabs. The main one will often have 50 tabs. Better memory mgmt would be a welcome thing. I'll download FF3 tomorrow.

The real truth..

7-10 tabs?! I don't think I've had less than 40 tabs open in the past six months.
    I think this just goes to show how productive you are at work! Instead of doing real work, I whittle down the number of tabs I have open

--grad_devil