Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stupidest rule in all of sports...

Fir me it's in baseball. On a third strike if the catcher drops the ball the batter can run to first. If he makes it the pitcher gets credit for the strikeout, but the out does not count.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Fir me it's in baseball. On a third strike if the catcher drops the ball the batter can run to first. If he makes it the pitcher gets credit for the strikeout, but the out does not count.
    I'm pretty sure he DOES get credit for the K, but not the out. I'm 99% sure I've seen an inning (in the 90s) where Billy Wagner (or possibly Octavio Dotel) got four strikeouts, with one runner reaching base.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I'm pretty sure he DOES get credit for the K, but not the out. I'm 99% sure I've seen an inning (in the 90s) where Billy Wagner (or possibly Octavio Dotel) got four strikeouts, with one runner reaching base.
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats19.shtml
    The game I'm remembering is Octavio Dotel in 2003.

yes ne does get credited for throwing a strikeout:

If he makes it the pitcher gets credit for the strikeout, but the out does not count.
    An out is an out. I find that strange. makes me wonder where that rule came from.

I think Randy Johnson did the same thing one time.

yes ne does get credited for throwing a strikeout:

An out is an out. I find that strange. makes me wonder where that rule came from.
    Oops, I read your original post wrong. Yup, dumb rule.

Does this go down as an E-2?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Does this go down as an E-2?
    I was under the impression that it counts as a passed ball or wild pitch, depending on whose fault it is. In either case, it wouldn't be an error, so would count towards the ERA, if they score (correction: WP would hurt your ERA).

Hey, I found another dumb rule in baseball - how come PB and WP don't count as errors? Also, a run scored with PB is unearned, yet WP is earned

I was under the impression that it counts as a passed ball or wild pitch, depending on whose fault it is. In either case, it wouldn't be an error, so would count towards the ERA, if they score (correction: WP would hurt your ERA).

Hey, I found another dumb rule in baseball - how come PB and WP don't count as errors? Also, a run scored with PB is unearned, yet WP is earned
    So a strikeout can also be either a PB or WP? That seems strange.

Of course, baseball also has the other dumb rule - the DH. (I used to enjoy teasing my nephew by asking him where the DH stood on the field when we would go to Royals games.)

Red face Dumb rule #2

If you consider chess a sport, the errant pawn has always bothered me.

In other sports, here's one I don't know: what exactly is the rule on scoring with a drop kick in the NFL?

NASCAR's Lucky Dog rule is also a bit bizarre.

<Dickie V on tranquilizers>The alternating possession following a jumpball in college basketball punishes the defense for making an effort.</Dickie V on tranquilizers>

It is an archaic rule - I've always thought quaint and only mildly annoying, but wouldn't be upset if it were repealed. The reasoning behind it is (I think) that the defense is supposed to be in control of the ball (i.e., has to actually catch the ball at some point) to make any out in baseball. In other words, technically you're not out just because the pitcher threw it past you. The catcher records the out by catching the ball the pitcher threw past you. How that works with a bunted foul third strike is beyond me. I guess you have to pick it up to have it officially declared foul, maybe.

By the way, this is a timely topic, as Scott Baker of the Twins got 4 K's in an inning just yesterday.

I would nominate the following:

- NFL overtimes decided by sudden death, with a coin flip to determine who gets the ball first

- The jumping out of bounds timeout in basketball

- The two-line pass rule (abolished now, I guess, but it still irks me that it ever was an issue)

- The "tuck" rule?

- Not really a rule, but the NBA lottery needs to be fixed or put down

- Alternate possession arrow, babeeeee! Why do you want to penalize the defense? I'm blind in one eye and even I can see that's wrong, babeeee! Mike, I've been talking about this for years now - the committee doesn't like me because I'm bald, babeeeee!

(Actually, I'm not opposed to the alternate possession rule. I just wanted to try to get this thread to the main board - )

Because errors are fielding errors. Catching pitched balls (or not) isn't fielding. Also, WPs are the pitcher's fault; PBs aren't. That's the way it should be.

What is so stupid about it? I think stupider baseball rules are:

* you don't get an at bat for a sac fly, but you do on a fly ball that advances a runner who does not score. A sac fly is unlike a sacrifice bunt in that you are not trying to give up your time at bat so that baserunners may advance

* you can't score from first on a ground rule double. Ground-rule doubles are worse than conventional doubles to the offense for this reason.

I hate it, just hate it when soccer games are decided by penalty kick shoot-outs. Same for hockey; although soccer seems more arbitrary in this regard.

A close second is the alternate possession arrow. I agree with Dickie V on this one; don't penalize a good defensive effort by making it an "alternating" arrow. Either jump it up, or find something else that puts it in the hands of the players. Hell, just let em fight it out!

...and that idiotic "balk" rule in baseball. Maybe it is needed for an obvious "balk" - I just remember how stupid it got for a while there a few years ago. The pitcher would scratch himself and it would be "BALK!!! BALK!!! BALK!!!"

None of the scoring rules cited actually impacts the playing of the game, simply the statistical record of the game. Not that important in the overall scheme and things and IMO, they all make sense.

I do agree that losing an NFL game in OT without ever actually having the ball makes little sense. I much prefer the college rule.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    WPs are the pitcher's fault; PBs aren't. That's the way it should be.
    A fielding error or errant throw by a pitcher is still an unearned run - inconsistent.

Oops, I read your original post wrong. Yup, dumb rule.
    Here's what I, EarlJam, want to know:

What is the "defined" difference between a foul tip and a foul fly? Say the count is 1-1. Here's the pitch, batter swings, foul tips it and the catcher has to reach quickly to catch it. The count goes to 1-2.

Now same deal. The count is 1-1, the batter tips it but it bloops a little and the cather can dive out and catch it. That's ruled a foul ball catch, batter out.

In both cases, the ball and bat made contact, the ball went airborne, and ended up in a glove before it hit the ground.

So, in short, what is the official designation between a "foul tip" and a "foul fly?"

Has this ever sparked a controversy?

-EarlJam

Yeah, you guys are fretting over how statistics are done in baseball. This is so minor as it doesn't affect the outcome of the game. The rules that I find incredibly stupid:

1.) Soccer - if somebody is tripped near the goal and gets a penalty kick, he (the one who was fouled) should HAVE to kick the penalty kick. Instead they can choose anybody! That's like being able to choose anybody on your basketball team to shoot the free throws when one particular person was fouled. Who the heck came up with that?!

2.) Golf - disqualification for signing the wrong score a la Sergio Garcia at the 2007 PGA Championship. Come on...we have TV cameras everywhere and we know what they scored. They can't cheat the score. They don't even keep scores themselves - their playing partner does. Boo Weekley put that Sergio had a 5 when he had a 4 on the 17th. But DQ for Sergio! <end rant about antiquated golf rules.>

3.) OT in the NFL

4.) Shootouts in soccer

6.) Dangerous shot in women's lacrosse. If you shoot too fast or something at the goalie you get a penalty. What?!? I'm not sure how anybody judges this accurately and it would seem to me that the point is to shoot the ball as hard as you can.

7.) Lacrosse in general - person closest to the ball after a shot gets the ball. I feel like the team that threw it out of bounds should never get it back. I say turnover!

That's all I got for now.

i think if a foul ball goes over the batter's head and is caught he is out, else it's a foul-tip strike. but at least baseball, with the exception of the abominable DH, is relatively grounded in its rules.

my stupidest rules would all revolve around football and the rules du jour, tweaked annually to "enhance" a 60 minute game with something like 5 minutes of actual cumulative playing time (snap to whistle -- usa today did a time test once). that and the obscure nascar rules about size & weight that i am in no position to analyze -- is that really a sport anyway?