Rechargeable Batteries - What's the Deal?

OK I figured I'd make the switch to rechargeable batteries, for financial and environmental reasons. I bought a bunch of batteries of all sizes, and they're kind of expensive, plus the (re)-charging machine.

Here's the problem: Even after re-charging them, the batteries just don't hold the charge for very long. I'm constantly re-charging them. It's kind of a pain. Is this just the way it is, that re-chargeable batteries don't hold the charge for very long, or did I buy a cheap charger/system?

This is the way it is, unfortunately. Of course, the device the batteries are trying to provide power for varies and battery life between charges is also going to vary.

Are you talking about the NiMH AA, AAA batteries? First, they need to be deep charged the first several times -- like overnight. For the first four or five uses, try to run them down quite far (though not fully discharged) then recharge for 12-24 hours. Then, after that, they can be charged when partially discharged with no apparent memory effect.

I've found that they're really good for things that require "bursts" of power, like digital (still) cameras. They don't give a steady power stream at the same caliber that disposable batteries will (I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about electronics will jump in and explain). In fact, they won't even run things like the external microphone for my camcorder (something about the voltage being just slightly too little compared to a regular AA). They seem to work fine in Wiimotes, though, and little trimmers, some pagers, and other little devices. I've got them in a number of things.

They do, however, last FAR longer in digital cameras than any disposable batteries (hundreds of pictures for NiMH vs. less than 50 for disposables).

They do discharge over time much faster than disposable batteries, losing a couple percent of its charge per day, up to 40% in a month. So in those toys that the kids play with infrequently, the batteries may be discharged next time they play with it. But for frequently used items, I love 'em!

I recently switched to a camera that takes a proprietary battery. I really liked my NiMH AA's for the other digital cameras, because I have four sets, so I could go for a LOOOONG time snapping pictures (to the chagrin of whomever is with me while I'm taking the pictures). The proprietary batteries are FAR more expensive, and take yet another charger.

This place: http://www.greenbatteries.com/ has a number of FAQs on rechargeable batteries (and some cool little battery accessories, like solar chargers and storage containers). I'm posting it here for the FAQs, which can then give you keywords to Google for more information. It also lets you know what other kinds of products are available, for your Googling pleasure!

go to batteryuniversity.com for a good backgrounder.

Bottom line is a) limited shelf-life (avg 3 yr), and b) daily discharge of 1-1.5% regardless of whether they're used or not.

Technology marches on, though, so maybe things will get better.

Exclamation Proper disposal

Here's a site that lets you find the nearest disposal/recycling center for your batteries:
    http://www.rbrc.org/call2recycle/dropoff/index.php

Pay particular attention to proper disposal of rechargeables.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Duracell is advertising (on TV) a new rechargeable that will give "140" pictures in digital cameras that use AA batteries. Don't know how much is fact and how much is hype. Or if that 140 is for flash or non-flash pictures (probably non-flash).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Here's a site that lets you find the nearest disposal/recycling center for your batteries:
    http://www.rbrc.org/call2recycle/dropoff/index.php

Pay particular attention to proper disposal of rechargeables.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I save all of my old batteries and take them to the Household Hazardous Waste collection site in Durham. Club Blvd. At the dump. Smells great.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I save all of my old batteries and take them to the Household Hazardous Waste collection site in Durham. Club Blvd. At the dump. Smells great.
    I keep batteries in the refrigerator - especially during hurricane season. I have a large 6 volt - for a light - that is 2 years old and shows full charge with voltage meter.

More importantly, what's the deal with batteries you only get to use once, then have to throw away, then have to remember to buy more of the next time you're at Wal-Mart?

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Are you talking about the NiMH AA, AAA batteries? First, they need to be deep charged the first several times -- like overnight. For the first four or five uses, try to run them down quite far (though not fully discharged) then recharge for 12-24 hours. Then, after that, they can be charged when partially discharged with no apparent memory effect.

I've found that they're really good for things that require "bursts" of power, like digital (still) cameras. They don't give a steady power stream at the same caliber that disposable batteries will (I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about electronics will jump in and explain). In fact, they won't even run things like the external microphone for my camcorder (something about the voltage being just slightly too little compared to a regular AA). They seem to work fine in Wiimotes, though, and little trimmers, some pagers, and other little devices. I've got them in a number of things.

They do, however, last FAR longer in digital cameras than any disposable batteries (hundreds of pictures for NiMH vs. less than 50 for disposables).

They do discharge over time much faster than disposable batteries, losing a couple percent of its charge per day, up to 40% in a month. So in those toys that the kids play with infrequently, the batteries may be discharged next time they play with it. But for frequently used items, I love 'em!

I recently switched to a camera that takes a proprietary battery. I really liked my NiMH AA's for the other digital cameras, because I have four sets, so I could go for a LOOOONG time snapping pictures (to the chagrin of whomever is with me while I'm taking the pictures). The proprietary batteries are FAR more expensive, and take yet another charger.

This place: http://www.greenbatteries.com/ has a number of FAQs on rechargeable batteries (and some cool little battery accessories, like solar chargers and storage containers). I'm posting it here for the FAQs, which can then give you keywords to Google for more information. It also lets you know what other kinds of products are available, for your Googling pleasure!
    I've really used them for only one purpose: to power basic flashlights that my wife makes me use in order to read in bed before going to sleep when she's already sleeping. So I've used standard Energizer either C or D rechargeable batteries and in a week or so they're drained. And I'm only using them maybe 1/2 hr per night.

I did charge them up fully when I first got them and they're pretty much out of juice when I re-charge them, but the charge just doesn't last very long. Yours last a month? That's be a dream!