Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animals

Animals

Are you like me? Or like my co-worker Timothy?

When you think of animals, do you think of mostly mammals? Tim brought up a question today that at first I thought I knew the answer to, then had to ponder, then looked it up on line (Webster.com) and belive my initial thought was correct. I'm still not sure though.

Tim asked, "Are insects considered animals?"

My initial response, "Yeah dude, of course they are animals."

Then I got to thinking..."hmmmmmmmmmmm, are they?"

As mentioned, I looked it up on line and Webster's definition reads:

"any of a kingdom (Animalia) of living things including many-celled organisms and often many of the single-celled ones (as protozoans) that typically differ from plants in having cells without cellulose walls, in lacking chlorophyll and the capacity for photosynthesis, in requiring more complex food materials (as proteins), in being organized to a greater degree of complexity, and in having the capacity for spontaneous movement and rapid motor responses to stimulation"

Still though, admit it, when you think of an "animal," you don't think of the little bugs......now do you?

-EarlJam

When I think of animals, I think of EarlJam.

Yeah. I never thought of bugs or as animals. I'm disappointed they are. Bugs suck.

Exclamation Oh my!

I don't know what my response would have been to Tim.

2 simple questions:
    1) Where did he take his last biology class?
    2) When did he take his last biology class?

Oy!

If you are having bug problems, I can send over my exterminating crew...

Who knew that pictures of my cats chasing an insect would be a thread killer? I thought it was kinda of nice. Or was it Tim's query in the first place?

Question Tim's question

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Who knew that pictures of my cats chasing an insect would be a thread killer? I thought it was kinda of nice. Or was it Tim's query in the first place?
    Your cats are cute.

To borrow from Spamalot, this thread is not dead yet!

How are they with mice? Saw a field mouse on my patio last weekend. I don't like mice! OK - I don't think he/she liked me either. I hope he/she doesn't come back.

When I think of Animals I think of Pink Floyd. One of Floyd's most underrated albums.

Awwww, they're so pretty! I love gray cats. My mom has one that's a total psycho, but she puts up with the scratching and the biting strictly because he's pretty.

Animals

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    When I think of Animals I think of Pink Floyd. One of Floyd's most underrated albums.
    (with Eric Burdon)-House of the Rising Sun

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    I don't see EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "Pigs on the Wing" FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I don't see EarlJam
    Upper left corner. I'm the frog. Waiting to be kissed and turned into my natural Princely state - or waiting to jump someone. (Click on chart to see enlarged version).

Animals.JPG

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Upper left corner. I'm the frog. Waiting to be kissed and turned into my natural Princely state - or waiting to jump someone.
    hehehe, nice. Fun with Photoshop makes my day.

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    Awwww, they're so pretty! I love gray cats. My mom has one that's a total psycho, but she puts up with the scratching and the biting strictly because he's pretty.
    Haven't seen any yet, so either very good or untested...

Thanks everyone for the nice comments about my cats. Fortunately, they tend to be very careful around me. I guess it's a mutual admiration society.

Shameless pandering on my part...

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    I have a totally gray cat named Milo who is completely wacko. He hates it when he is spoken to and gets all psychotic. My sister compared him to a crack head baby. I still love him though. He's like my own little watch/attack kitty who doesn't actually bite or scratch, just threatens.

Back to the thread topic: I have never considered bugs to be animals. Eeeewwww.

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post

Where are the cougars on this chart?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    Where are the cougars on this chart?
    Far away from the frogs?