Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Req: Durham/CH casual restaurant recomm.

I'm heading to dear ol' Duke this weekend with my daughter (she'll be attending a camp and gets to live in the new Bell Tower Residence hall - did you know they've got massage chairs in there for the students? See:

http://rlhs.studentaffairs.duke.edu/...ell_tower.html

Posh place compared to ol' Jarvis hall, that tinderbox).

ANYWAY, her best friend is at a soccer camp at Carolina, and I've offered to take them out to eat on Saturday night. They're both 12. I would love some restaurant recommendations. I think they want something casual, and I'd like some place that has some local flavor, not some national chain we could just as well enjoy here at home.

I've done a search on the forums and so far have seen mention of Honey's, Ole NC BBQ, Cookout, and Bullock's. Someone else mentioned Turnage's in a way that suggested it's not there anymore. I suppose Satisfaction is an excellent choice too. Any seconds on these, or others worth considering? I think we'll be in Durham or Chapel Hill only, not Raliegh.

Thanks!

Allen & Son BBQ in CH on Hwy 86 is the best bbq place to go.

Elmo's Diner on ninth street is a big fave of ours (mostly for brunch, but dinner is good too).

Thanks DukeUsul. Actually, I can't rule out being in Raliegh after all. Her friend might be staying there with her grandparents. However, that doesn't mean I want to be driving around there on a Saturday night. Even 20 years ago it was bumper-to-bumper most of the times I went.

Good variety and family style dining

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I'm heading to dear ol' Duke this weekend with my daughter (she'll be attending a camp and gets to live in the new Bell Tower Residence hall - did you know they've got massage chairs in there for the students? See:

http://rlhs.studentaffairs.duke.edu/...ell_tower.html

Posh place compared to ol' Jarvis hall, that tinderbox).

ANYWAY, her best friend is at a soccer camp at Carolina, and I've offered to take them out to eat on Saturday night. They're both 12. I would love some restaurant recommendations. I think they want something casual, and I'd like some place that has some local flavor, not some national chain we could just as well enjoy here at home.

I've done a search on the forums and so far have seen mention of Honey's, Ole NC BBQ, Cookout, and Bullock's. Someone else mentioned Turnage's in a way that suggested it's not there anymore. I suppose Satisfaction is an excellent choice too. Any seconds on these, or others worth considering? I think we'll be in Durham or Chapel Hill only, not Raliegh.

Thanks!
    Bullock's offers a menu which includes considerable variety. Depending on how many are in your party, you might consider the family style dining which allows the very hungry (read that the teens) to be able to fill up at a reasonable price.

I always liked Grace's on 15-501.

Thanks all. After a brief flirtation with some Italian place in Raliegh, it seems they've decided they want pizza at Satisfaction. Very OK by me, and close to where we'll be staying.

Q Shack! Am I too late?

Help with popular chicken shack name!

No, I'll write that down. I'll be in Durham for 2 weeks!

Also, does anyone remember the name of the fried chicken place somewhere off East Campus (maybe Hillandale Rd or smoething like that) which was not only a favorite of 80s Dukies like Dawkins et al, but also had autographed team posters from the entire K era all over the restaurant?

My memory fails me, but I have the vague recollection (true or not) that it was not a chain restaurant (like KFC or Church's), and the owner's name was incorporated in the name of the restaurant.

Google is my friend, but it didn't help me this time. I suspect the place is closed or taken over by a chain. Would still like to know, though.

Please don't go to Bullock's. I know it's a longstanding institution, and I've eaten there a number of times myself, but really...it's just not that good. Your money is much better spent elsewhere.
    My recs would be several places just off of East, in and around Brightleaf Square:
    -Satisfaction, the pizza joint in Brightleaf, another institution and a must. Very good pizza, lots of good sandwiches, and an excellent beer list if you intend to sneak one or two.
    -El Rodeo, the Mexican restaurant in Brightleaf. Outstanding salsa and good standard Mexican fare. Much better than Torero's, which is diagonally across Main Street from Brightleaf.
    -Also diagonally across from Brightleaf: Fishmonger's, an old-school seafood shack. Really good fresh seafood, cooked pretty much any way you want. They also used to have $4 dozens of oysters steamed or on the half shell on Fridays from 3-6ish, if that's your thing. They also have a pretty good beer list. I went there with family the night before I graduated from Duke and James Earl Jones was upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I always liked Grace's on 15-501.
    Not to be confused with Grace's Cafe in Trent Hall. I could never get myself to eat anything other than the grilled cheese and the chaco tacos in the case.

You can't go wrong with pizza at Satisfactions. Good choice by the kids.

Dear God, I forgot my favorite restaurant in all of Durham (and honestly one of my favorites in the world):
    Wimpy's. Get on Hillsborough Road, heading away from East and toward I-85. It will appear on your left, just after you pass Don Hill's Lock and Gun Shop. The sign says "Wimpy's Grill," and it's a small, stand-alone brick building. It's diagonally across from the liquor store. If you get to the Food Lion, you've gone too far. It's basically just a counter, with literally no seating, so you'll have to come up with a place to take your food and eat it (shady spots on East are always nice). You will have to go between 7:00 am and 2:30 pm on a weekday, because those are their only hours. But I swear that you've never had a better cheeseburger, nor have you ever had a more perfectly mixed fountain Coke. Their fries are also very good when they're fresh (which I admit is sometimes a hit-or-miss proposition). I always get my burger with chili, slaw, and standard fixins (lettuce, tomato, etc.), but don't let me tell you how to eat your burger. I promise you will not be disappointed.
    And if you don't like burgers, then go back to the Soviet Union.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    And if you don't like burgers, then go back to the Soviet Union.
    I'm confused... I thought YOU were the communist

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I'm confused... I thought YOU were the communist
    Touche.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    No, I'll write that down. I'll be in Durham for 2 weeks!

Also, does anyone remember the name of the fried chicken place somewhere off East Campus (maybe Hillandale Rd or smoething like that) which was not only a favorite of 80s Dukies like Dawkins et al, but also had autographed team posters from the entire K era all over the restaurant?

My memory fails me, but I have the vague recollection (true or not) that it was not a chain restaurant (like KFC or Church's), and the owner's name was incorporated in the name of the restaurant.

Google is my friend, but it didn't help me this time. I suspect the place is closed or taken over by a chain. Would still like to know, though.
    Are you thinking of Rinaldi's? That was located on 9th street just down the hill (north) from the ABC store. Pete Rinaldi did a Col. Sanders imitation with the string tie and all. Good chicken. I think Pete died in the 80's so I'm not sure when it closed. He also had a place in East Durham, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Please don't go to Bullock's. I know it's a longstanding institution, and I've eaten there a number of times myself, but really...it's just not that good. Your money is much better spent elsewhere.
    My recs would be several places just off of East, in and around Brightleaf Square:
    -Satisfaction, the pizza joint in Brightleaf, another institution and a must. Very good pizza, lots of good sandwiches, and an excellent beer list if you intend to sneak one or two.
    -El Rodeo, the Mexican restaurant in Brightleaf. Outstanding salsa and good standard Mexican fare. Much better than Torero's, which is diagonally across Main Street from Brightleaf.
    -Also diagonally across from Brightleaf: Fishmonger's, an old-school seafood shack. Really good fresh seafood, cooked pretty much any way you want. They also used to have $4 dozens of oysters steamed or on the half shell on Fridays from 3-6ish, if that's your thing. They also have a pretty good beer list. I went there with family the night before I graduated from Duke and James Earl Jones was upstairs.
    Mexican in the Brightleaf area needs to be Torrero's. Leaps and bounds better than El Rodeo.

Other options in the area, understanding that you are going to Satty's but may have more time:

Alevia's - on the corner across from Brightleaf. A little upscale for teenagers, but not completely out of consideration. Great outdoor seating.

Tosca - hidden away in West Village - go Duke Street to right on Corporation - fun, homey, good Italian food.

Enjoy eating in town!!

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Mexican in the Brightleaf area needs to be Torrero's. Leaps and bounds better than El Rodeo.
    You sir, are crazy. I don't know when the last time you've been to the two places, but as of 2006, El Rodeo is cheaper, faster, and a lot better than Torrero.

The young ladies might also like Flying Burrito in Chapel Hill. And iirc, they have good margaritas.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    The young ladies might also like Flying Burrito in Chapel Hill. And iirc, they have good margaritas.
    Ooh, flying burrito beats any other Mexican place. It is in in the stronghold of higher temperatures, though.

Thumbs up Spartacus

I ate at Spartacus, http://www.spartacusrestaurant.com/, off 15/501 and LOVED it. I highly, HIGHLY recommend it. I work with a Greek and he said this is the best Greek restaurant in Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    You sir, are crazy. I don't know when the last time you've been to the two places, but as of 2006, El Rodeo is cheaper, faster, and a lot better than Torrero.
    Hah! You are the crazy one. Torrero's top shelf margaritas are the best i have ever had. El Rodeo was alwaye cheaper and faster, but never better in the food or drink.

(I poke - they are both fine, and when I was working in downtown Durham, it really mattered most about who knew the waiters and hosts at which restaurant.)