Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 question...

Red face PS3 question...

This is so embarrassing. I know this is a totally stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure. I got the PS3 MGS4 80gb bundle today at Walmart with the $100 gift card and whatnot. It comes with a dual schock 3 controller. There is a list of "initially compatible" games included. I assume that all games work with the controller, they just don't all use the rumble. I don't need a separate controller to play games not on this list, do I?

Thanks,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    This is so embarrassing. I know this is a totally stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure. I got the PS3 MGS4 80gb bundle today at Walmart with the $100 gift card and whatnot. It comes with a dual schock 3 controller. There is a list of "initially compatible" games included. I assume that all games work with the controller, they just don't all use the rumble. I don't need a separate controller to play games not on this list, do I?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Nope, you sure don't, the controller will work fine with all games, just won't rumble with all games. And now that you've told us, you HAVE to give a report on MGS4 once you've played it. Im going to pick up a copy over the weekend after I get paid, and Im dying to play this game. You got a very sweet deal with that bundle. Im going to have to go get one of the new Dual Shock controllers as well for maximum experience

Also, glad to see another member joining the PS3 'family' so to speak. Let me know if you plan on getting online and gaming as well, maybe we can meet up on there and play some. Currently I play COD4 and GTA4 online, but will probably get into NCAA 09 as well once it's released.

Cool thanks...

so, what are the must-plays on PS3 so far? Ninja Gaiden? Heavenly Sword? DMC4? GTAIV? Assassin's Creed? What do you think?

so, what are the must-plays on PS3 so far? Ninja Gaiden? Heavenly Sword? DMC4? GTAIV? Assassin's Creed? What do you think?
    So far I only have COD4 for the PS3, but I have GTAIV for the 360 and I'd recommend getting that as well. The PS3 doesn't have a ton of must-have games, yet.

I'd say the must-haves are GTAIV, CoD4, and MGS4.

The rest are by taste. I have Uncharted and MLB 08: The Show. Uncharted is a fun adventure game but might be a better rental as it lacks a lot of replay value. The Show is a great baseball game. I really like the road to the show mode where you play as one particular player and the game fast forwards to your hitting and fielding opportunities.

Assassin's creed is worth a rental, but not worth owning. I borrowed it from a friend and voluntarily gave it back before I finished it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    I'd say the must-haves are GTAIV, CoD4, and MGS4.
    I totally agree, and I DO have all three of those, best games out for the system by a long shot. Im also a big college football fan and buy NCAA each year, and NCAA 08 was the best version yet of the game IMO. Of course I wouldn't go buy it just yet, since the 09 edition comes out mid July.

Also, I couldn't wait, and went and bought MGS4 yesterday, and lets just say I'm blown away by this game. I put the game in around 6:30 yesterday evening, and finally turned the system off around 12:30 this morning since I knew I'd be dead for work today if I didn't. Had it not been that late, I'd have played longer. The weapon system in this game is great as well as the aiming. I finally found the sniper rifle, added a silencer, and I LOVE the thing. Also, the MKII is a blast to play around with, and very easy to control. Take a look at what Snake is using to control the MKII when you send him out to scout.

Wink Gta Iv...

I keep seeing something about a GTA IV uncensored version. Is there such a thing? What's the difference between the two? Thanks.

Wink okay...

so, GTA IV censored is only in certain countries, but not here. Nobody mentioned Ninja Gaiden or Heavenly Sword. I had heard a lot of good things about both of those. Has anybody played them? Are they no good? I was interested in both, but if nobody liked them, I guess I'll avoid them. I also heard rumors that BioShock is coming to PS3. Has anybody else heard this? Are they juiced about it?

so, GTA IV censored is only in certain countries, but not here. Nobody mentioned Ninja Gaiden or Heavenly Sword. I had heard a lot of good things about both of those. Has anybody played them? Are they no good? I was interested in both, but if nobody liked them, I guess I'll avoid them. I also heard rumors that BioShock is coming to PS3. Has anybody else heard this? Are they juiced about it?
    I played the Heavenly Sword demo, and while it is a beautiful game, it wasn't really my style. It is also supposed to be on the short side. I think Ninja Gaiden is a similar button mashing hack-and-slash game.

Bioshock is a tremendous game. I played it already on the 360. I definitely recommend buying it for the PS3.

How do you like MGS4 so far? I've found that it takes a lot of time just watching the cutscenes. It has the best graphics any console game. The game play is fun, but the story is a bit too out-there.

haven't started it yet...

I'm waiting for my HD cables to come in. I'm buying them on the cheap off the internet. Also, I'm trying to find a good plot synopsis for the rest of the games so I know what's going on. Gamespot had a great one, but it was in preparation for MGS 2, so it doesn't have MGS2 or MGS3 on it. Does anybody know where I can get the story? I'd hate to have to buy and play ALL the games up to now to know what's going on. Or maybe somebody that's played them could give me a rough over-view of what happens in 2 and 3. Thanks.

-Joe

I'm still waiting for my copy of MGS4 to arrive in the mail, should be this Monday. I'd agree with most of the games already mentioned. I'll also second Uncharted, and recommend Hot Shots Golf V (not as serious as tiger but still fun), Resistance and Ratchet and Clank. You can also get games like Virtua Fighter V Motorstorm and Folklore for about $20, pretty good games for the price. I just upgraded the hard drive on my PS3 with a 160gb Western Digital hard drive from New Egg for about $70. It was pretty easy and cheap to do.

I'm waiting for my HD cables to come in. I'm buying them on the cheap off the internet. Also, I'm trying to find a good plot synopsis for the rest of the games so I know what's going on. Gamespot had a great one, but it was in preparation for MGS 2, so it doesn't have MGS2 or MGS3 on it. Does anybody know where I can get the story? I'd hate to have to buy and play ALL the games up to now to know what's going on. Or maybe somebody that's played them could give me a rough over-view of what happens in 2 and 3. Thanks.

-Joe
    There's also a Metal Gear Essential collection that came out for the PS2 a couple of months ago and its should work on the 80 gig PS3. It has MGS1,2 and 3. 3 is great and lays a lot of the groundwork for the series. MGS2 really ought to be experienced first hand for its ludicrous adventures in post modern philosophy.

I noticed...

they released Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions for the PS3. Game Informer says it's about the same as the Xbox 360 version, except that the difficulty has been rebalanced. I don't have a 360. Is this a good game to check out for the PS3? I noticed that Costco had it for $36.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 06-16-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: grammatical accuracy...

I have the Xbox version, its a pretty solid game. You should browse eBay as well, you can probably find it cheaper than 36.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    How do you like MGS4 so far? I've found that it takes a lot of time just watching the cutscenes. It has the best graphics any console game. The game play is fun, but the story is a bit too out-there.
    The flashback scenes are really cool, but I agree with you, and actually have said it outloud quite a few times while playing, "Dang these cut scenes take too freakin long!" How far have you made it so far? I'm just starting Act 4 I think it is, returing to "Outer Heaven" or whatever the name of it is, and for those who are fans of the series from the beginning of it, you are in for a treat. Lets just say the gameplay isn't the same as the previous 50% of the game, at least for a short while. I was ecstatic that this "event" occurs in the game and actually thought beforehand, I wonder if they will put anything like this in the game. It's very cool, let me know when you get that far if you haven't already. So far I've put in just under 19 hours of playing time, as my wife gave me the entire day on Sunday (for Father's Day) to play my new game, and I took full advantage

they released Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions for the PS3. Game Informer says it's about the same as the Xbox 360 version, except that the difficulty has been rebalanced. I don't have a 360. Is this a good game to check out for the PS3? I noticed that Costco had it for $36.

Thanks.
    You should probably check out GameFly.com which is a rental system setup like NetFlix, they have a package at around $8/month, and you could test all these games out you're asking about for yourself, and if you don't like them, send them back. I think they even have the option to buy the game if you want to, at a discounted price, and they ship you the case and book free of charge if you buy it. Just a thought for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    The flashback scenes are really cool, but I agree with you, and actually have said it outloud quite a few times while playing, "Dang these cut scenes take too freakin long!" How far have you made it so far? I'm just starting Act 4 I think it is, returing to "Outer Heaven" or whatever the name of it is, and for those who are fans of the series from the beginning of it, you are in for a treat. Lets just say the gameplay isn't the same as the previous 50% of the game, at least for a short while. I was ecstatic that this "event" occurs in the game and actually thought beforehand, I wonder if they will put anything like this in the game. It's very cool, let me know when you get that far if you haven't already. So far I've put in just under 19 hours of playing time, as my wife gave me the entire day on Sunday (for Father's Day) to play my new game, and I took full advantage
    I finished act 4 last night with 21:43 of play time. I know the part you are talking about and I thought it was pretty cool (until I died twice!).

This is my first time playing a game in the series, and it really is a quirky game. Sometimes it seems to try to be a really deep drama, and other times it is poking fun at itself. I've done a lot of different things in the game, but there is a lot more depth to it that I haven't explored. I look forward to playing some of the levels again and trying different tactics while skipping the cutscenes.

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    You should probably check out GameFly.com which is a rental system setup like NetFlix, they have a package at around $8/month, and you could test all these games out you're asking about for yourself, and if you don't like them, send them back. I think they even have the option to buy the game if you want to, at a discounted price, and they ship you the case and book free of charge if you buy it. Just a thought for you.
    you know, I've thought about that, but with three kids all under 6, one under three months, I really don't have a lot of time for gaming right now. I have become, per force, a casual gamer. So, right now, I'm looking for a few solid games to add to my library that I can play once in a while if I can't sleep and need something to do. If I had a gamefly account, I'd keep one game for like three months, and by then, I could have just bought it on ebay or at gamestop used. At this point in my life, it just wouldn't be cost effective. Maybe in a few years when all the kids are in school, I can look into that. Thanks for the advice though.

you know, I've thought about that, but with three kids all under 6, one under three months, I really don't have a lot of time for gaming right now. I have become, per force, a casual gamer. So, right now, I'm looking for a few solid games to add to my library that I can play once in a while if I can't sleep and need something to do. If I had a gamefly account, I'd keep one game for like three months, and by then, I could have just bought it on ebay or at gamestop used. At this point in my life, it just wouldn't be cost effective. Maybe in a few years when all the kids are in school, I can look into that. Thanks for the advice though.
    Good call there, I just wanted to throw it out there to you as an option, without knowing about the kids and all obviously. I can't imagine ever getting to "get my game on" if we had 3 kids, muchless the one that we do have! I only play after 9:30 to 10 every night, mainly because the 3 games in my "Library" right now are all rated M (COD4, GTA4, MGS4) so I don't really want my girl to see all the blood and violence in them, at least not quite yet Good luck with finding the games you'll like though. Almost all PS3 games are going to have exceptional graphics, its just a matter of finding the ones that play like you like.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarz
    I finished act 4 last night with 21:43 of play time. I know the part you are talking about and I thought it was pretty cool (until I died twice!).

This is my first time playing a game in the series, and it really is a quirky game. Sometimes it seems to try to be a really deep drama, and other times it is poking fun at itself. I've done a lot of different things in the game, but there is a lot more depth to it that I haven't explored. I look forward to playing some of the levels again and trying different tactics while skipping the cutscenes.
    I am almost finished with Act 4 myself, I am just about to go outside to fight the boss for the level and I'm right at 20 hours of playing time. I hate that you haven't played any of the previous Metal Gears though because the "flashbacks" would be a little more rewarding for you if you had. It's almost like a flashback for me (as well as Snake) since I remember seeing and hearing everything that he flashes back to. I LOVE that aspect of the game. When you're down in Otacon's old office in that level, thats a level that you play through in the first MGS, with the overhead view and all, electrified floors, using remote control rockets to disable the electric floors, a lot of fun memories from that game. On your second playthrough, let me know if you'd like a special code to enter when Otacon prompts you to enter it on the computer. There is one thats not the correct code, but will cause another flashback, and reward you with 100,000 Drebin Points. (Its actually a code used in a previous MGS game, actually it may have been the first ever Metal Gear for NES) Also, don't know if you noticed or not, but when Snake is having the "voice" flashbacks while youre actively playing, make sure to listen to the entire thing (i.e. don't press start or pause the game during them) and you'll receive varying levels of DP just for listening to the entire sequence, ranging from 1,000 to 5,000 DP.

Another question for you about that level, how did you get around the last Gekko when the MK III is trying to unlock the back door? I actually finally found a use for the magazine (bullets, not Playboy) that I had picked up early on in the game. I kept throwing them in the corners of the room, and as soon as the Gekko would go investigate it, I'd throw one to the other corner, and kept repeating that process until the 2 minutes were up and MK III had unlocked the back door. I just thought it would be interesting to hear what others' strategies were for getting around him without alerting or fighting him.

Red face another stupid ps3 question...

Does anyone else find it a pain that you can only charge controllers when the ps3 is on? I mean, you don't want to just leave it on 24/7, do you? And most of the charging stations just plug into the PS3's USB port too. Is anyone else annoyed by this? Is there a good solution? I found a quad charging station on ebay that plugs into the wall, and there's a weird looking one by Nyko on Amazon that charges 2, but I'm not sure how good they are. How long does a charge last on a dual shock 3 controller, anyway?