How About a Pre Season Tournament For Charity ?

I think that there should be a Pre-Season Basketball Tournament Each Year for the benefit of say Children's Cancer, or the Duke Brain Tumor Center with the following 4 teams participating :

Duke, Notre Dame, Harvard, and Stanford.

Four great academic institutions and four great guy coaches.

What are your thoughts about that proposal ?

A clever idea, and a different twist on the team selection.

do u know what i think??

I think that tourney is a great idea.

but i think there should be a women's pre-season tourney:

The Kay Yow Classic.

with NC State, Virginia, Uconn, and Michigan State.

the teams have nothing to do with each other except that all 3 of those other coaches have tons of respect and have known Kay Yow for a long time.

I think this would be great for one of the biggest fighters in the game of basketball

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    I think that tourney is a great idea.

but i think there should be a women's pre-season tourney:

The Kay Yow Classic.

with NC State, Virginia, Uconn, and Michigan State.

the teams have nothing to do with each other except that all 3 of those other coaches have tons of respect and have known Kay Yow for a long time.

I think this would be great for one of the biggest fighters in the game of basketball
    I like both ideas. Kay Yow is an amazing women and I root for her team, as long as they aren't playing Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    I think that there should be a Pre-Season Basketball Tournament Each Year for the benefit of say Children's Cancer, or the Duke Brain Tumor Center with the following 4 teams participating :

Well, Coach K would NEVER agree to that since he doesn't like to play against teams that his former players coach. I don't know if you were actually being serious about the proposal, though...But all great guys at great institutions for sure!

But it would be for a great charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Well, Coach K would NEVER agree to that since he doesn't like to play against teams that his former players coach. I don't know if you were actually being serious about the proposal, though...But all great guys at great institutions for sure!
    I'm sure Coach K would agree to it if all the money raised were going to go to a worthwhile charity.

Also, Coach K has zero say in the NCAA selection and I am certain that the committee would love to see a Duke-Stanford match up .

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I like both ideas. Kay Yow is an amazing women and I root for her team, as long as they aren't playing Duke.
    Unless they have stopped holding the tourney, the Jimmy V Foundation has been holding a women's tournament that Kay Yow has played a large part in.

Where do you propose that this tournament be played and when? Before or after MSG?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Where do you propose that this tournament be played and when? Before or after MSG?
    Switch the sites each year. Year 1 at Cameron, Year 2 at Stanford, Year 3 at Notre Dame and Year 4 at Harvard.

AS to when I'm not sure.

I don't like the idea. There's already a huge Coaches vs. Cancer tournament in Madison Square Garden every year. I'm sure that the other schools have medical centers that would be just as deserving of some extra money--why does the Duke Brain Tumor Center get the money over, say, the Harvard Diabetes Clinic? There's already a packed 30+ game schedule, so it's hard for me to see where these games would fit.

I'm sure Coach K would agree to it if all the money raised were going to go to a worthwhile charity.

Also, Coach K has zero say in the NCAA selection and I am certain that the committee would love to see a Duke-Stanford match up .
    What makes you think that the NCAA makes such selections? They do have restrictions on pre-season tournaments, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    What makes you think that the NCAA makes such selections? They do have restrictions on pre-season tournaments, though.
    I was referring to the NCAA Tournament in March when the Selection Committee makes its selections for the tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I don't like the idea. There's already a huge Coaches vs. Cancer tournament in Madison Square Garden every year. I'm sure that the other schools have medical centers that would be just as deserving of some extra money--why does the Duke Brain Tumor Center get the money over, say, the Harvard Diabetes Clinic? There's already a packed 30+ game schedule, so it's hard for me to see where these games would fit.
    When the game is played at Harvard the money raised could go there. The school hosting the site would determine where the money goes. Just because there is a Coaches v Cancer tournament whose to say that there couldn't be another tournament for charity. I am sure that each of the schools could drop 2 of their early games to play in this kind of tournament.

Thumbs down

When the game is played at Harvard the money raised could go there. The school hosting the site would determine where the money goes. Just because there is a Coaches v Cancer tournament whose to say that there couldn't be another tournament for charity. I am sure that each of the schools could drop 2 of their early games to play in this kind of tournament.
    I would question whether any of the teams would want to drop two of their early season games in order to play in this tournament. Coach K, for one, structures the schedule with smaller mid-major tournament teams alternated with bigger major conference teams. I'm not sure if he'd want to have to have Stanford, Harvard, and Notre Dame in the mix in their every year. One year those teams might be really good and a good match-up for Duke, other years they might stink and be a real waste of a game(s). Plus as it's already been noted, Coach K would never agree to it, b/c he doesn't like going up against his former assistants. In addition, there's the issue of teams only being allowed to participate in two pre-season tournaments every four years, so I don't know how this could be an annual event.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I would question whether any of the teams would want to drop two of their early season games in order to play in this tournament. Coach K, for one, structures the schedule with smaller mid-major tournament teams alternated with bigger major conference teams. I'm not sure if he'd want to have to have Stanford, Harvard, and Notre Dame in the mix in their every year. One year those teams might be really good and a good match-up for Duke, other years they might stink and be a real waste of a game(s). Plus as it's already been noted, Coach K would never agree to it, b/c he doesn't like going up against his former assistants. In addition, there's the issue of teams only being allowed to participate in two pre-season tournaments every four years, so I don't know how this could be an annual event.
    I'm sure that we would all rather see Duke play Harvard, Stanford, and Notre Dame than the likes of Eastern Kentucky, Albany and Cornell

Maybe its about time that Coach K gets over his aversion. What if Mike Bray
    someday took the Wake job or NCState job? Would he stop Tommy Ammaker or Dawkins from ever taking an ACC job if it ever opened up.?