Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Funny man... And one more internet message board poster who'd rather anonymously laugh at a strawman than bother to actually understand and refute an opposing argument. It's good though. You're making me feel better about my side just based on the fact that you're not on it.
    Thanks, I thought it was quite funny, too...

And I note that you, too, are anonymously posting on an internet message board...

Just to be clear, I didn't take 'sides' here... I merely poked fun at the fallacy inherent in your logic, as pointed out by another poster... You know, it wouldn't hurt to perhaps not take yourself so seriously... Life is simply too short...

It seems clear that no argument is going to change your perspective on the matter, which is fine--this is a free country, after all... Please note, however, that simply because others might not agree with your opinion on a matter such as the one currently being discussed in this thread doesn't mean they fail to understand your perspective...

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    And I note that you, too, are anonymously posting on an internet message board...
    Fine, I have nothing to hide. http://www.stanford.edu/~darthur/

Anyway, I staked a claim, made an argument, and stood by it. You came in and insulted me via a strawman representation of my argument, but you did not back up your insults, and you did not put any argument of your own out there. When you are not taking part in the discussion, keep your insults to yourself.

I merely poked fun at the fallacy inherent in your logic, as pointed out by another poster...
    Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear what the fallacy is. Kfanarmy said I contradicted myself, and when I challenged him on that, he defended it with an ultra-vague description that completely misrepresented what I said and contained 0 direct quotes. Most likely because they do not exist.

You know, it wouldn't hurt to perhaps not take yourself so seriously... Life is simply too short...
    What can I say? I used to absolutely love this site. I came here to listen to people talk about basketball who knew far more than me. Now... well, it pains me to see threads like this. They do a disservice to the site.

Ok I think I just need to back out of this debate. As is probably obvious, people are getting under my skin, and there's just no point in getting angry over this. If somebody actually cares to continue the debate, they can PM or email me.

What can I say? I used to absolutely love this site. I came here to listen to people talk about basketball who knew far more than me. Now... well, it pains me to see threads like this. They do a disservice to the site.
    Guess who has the most posts on this thread.

Ok I think I just need to back out of this debate. As is probably obvious, people are getting under my skin, and there's just no point in getting angry over this. If somebody actually cares to continue the debate, they can PM or email me.
    This is not the first time you have said you were through here. Is this time for real?

Well it sounds like I misinterpreted you. I thought you were saying the current rules were bad rules, but it sounds more like your complaint has to do with inconsistency and what causes it. Well I think it should be clear from my other posts on this thread that I do not agree with the conclusions you draw.

First of all, I do not see inconsistency at the level you're talking about. I do believe there is a lot of subjective rule interpretation and evolution going on at all times in all leagues (both by the league and on a game-to-game basis by the refs), but that it isn't money's fault this happens. It is just part of the deal in a free-flowing game that has to be officiated by human beings.

If you believe sinister or bad-faith motives guide a lot of these subjective decisions in the NCAA or NBA, well I disagree, but I can hardly prove you wrong. Just return the favor, agree there's not enough evidence to actually prove good/bad faith one way or another, and let me not get drawn back into that debate!
    sorry, while refereeing is not easy; the calls that go uncalled are. Kobe fouled Pierce in the open court to steal the ball with 45 seconds to go and LA up two. The non call ended the game. It was a foul in the open court. There is no discretion here. Kobe, no call. Same as MJ pushing Russell. Outcome determinative non-calls. It is sinister, and it ruins the game!

Jimmy Kimmel was funny, on the Finals:

I can't wait to find out who the NBA decided to win this thing...I heard they shot multiple endings

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

The zinggg!!!! heard round the world.

Thanks Throaty, made me laugh! Great get.

NBA defines new role for oversight of referee operations

This would seem to indicate that the NBA recognizes a significant issue with officiating in the NBA...if they truly believed Donaghy was the only significant bad apple, would they have hired a newly retiring military officer to the position...he certainly won't have expertise in the details of making calls...but will recongize when they significantly impact the game/games...

link to the ESPN article:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3469129

dead wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    This would seem to indicate that the NBA recognizes a significant issue with officiating in the NBA...if they truly believed Donaghy was the only significant bad apple, would they have hired a newly retiring military officer to the position...he certainly won't have expertise in the details of making calls...but will recongize when they significantly impact the game/games...

link to the ESPN article:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3469129
    You're not thinking this through. This clearly means Duke gets all the calls.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    You're not thinking this through. This clearly means Duke gets all the calls.
    The invitation to continue the debate over PM still stands. Apparently, you'd rather just spit on its grave though. Even two weeks after its over.

he's baaaaaaack

The invitation to continue the debate over PM still stands. Apparently, you'd rather just spit on its grave though. Even two weeks after its over.
    I knew you couldn't stay away! Just trying to add a bit of humor.

I'm blaming Tim Donaghy for the Seattle Seahawks losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers in SuperBowl XL.

interesting article

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...t&lid=tab6pos2

Here's another angle on NBA officiating. I never know of all the autographs, shoes, etc. that players give to officials. Does anyone know if this happens in college ball?

wha'd I tell ya

coaches trusting refs 100% at home, 25% away...refs asking for star players shoes...tsk, tsk, tsk...