Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    bfree you bright!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke is a perimeter oriented team that runs a 1 in - 4 out motion offense. That offense requires an abundance of perimeter players.

I don't think so, but time will tell.

We signed two bigs in the Class of 2008: Olek Czyz and Miles Plumlee. Mason Plumlee has already signed for 2009, and Brian Zoubek and Lance Thomas both have two years of eligibilty left. We are good shape for bigs. I expect the emphasis will be on signing Boynton followed by securing a point guard and a small forward, but that is just my opinion.
    The previous poster wished for quality "bigs"; I don't agree that the group of Z, Thomas, Czyz and Plumlee represent high quality big men - at least not from the perspective of a national championship contender. I agree that we should be stronger in the post next year, but let's face it, we've got a lot of room to improve before our post play is a strength. Hopefully, one of the 4 will break out - but l also realize that it may not happen next year.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    The previous poster wished for quality "bigs"; I don't agree that the group of Z, Thomas, Czyz and Plumlee represent high quality big men - at least not from the perspective of a national championship contender.
    As far as this season is concerned we will just have to wait and see how well our frontcourt players perform. In regard to ongoing recruiting efforts, Mason Plumlee is the #15 rated player in the Class of 2009 and the #3 Power Forward, according to Scout. Obviously, rankings are not infallible and Mason is going to have to live up to the hype, but I don't see how anyone can deny that Duke has sought out and signed a quality big man.
    Bob Green

Obviously, rankings are not infallible and Mason is going to have to live up to the hype, but I don't see how anyone can deny that Duke has sought out and signed a quality big man.
    People almost always mean banger/bruiser (eg Shelden, Brand, Boozer - or, for non-Duke guys, Echenique, Brockman et al) when they complain about Duke not getting big men. Obviously both Plumlees are "big" - they are 6'9". But they are not big in terms of having weight to throw around in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    People almost always mean banger/bruiser (eg Shelden, Brand, Boozer - or, for non-Duke guys, Echenique, Brockman et al) when they complain about Duke not getting big men. Obviously both Plumlees are "big" - they are 6'9". But they are not big in terms of having weight to throw around in the post.
    Miles Plumlee is bigger/stronger than most people realize. He is 6-10 225 and has a reputation for loving the weight room. He just may suprise us in terms of ability to bang.

Yes Mason Plumlee is currently slender at 210 pounds, but he is 6-11 and still has a year of high school left.

I realize that I am an optimist (when it comes to Duke basketball) but I am excited about the approaching Plumlee era.
    Bob Green

Miles Plumlee is bigger/stronger than most people realize. He is 6-10 225 and has a reputation for loving the weight room. He just may suprise us in terms of ability to bang.

Yes Mason Plumlee is currently slender at 210 pounds, but he is 6-11 and still has a year of high school left.

I realize that I am an optimist (when it comes to Duke basketball) but I am excited about the approaching Plumlee era.
    Well said, People forget that losing Murphy and Echenique gained us 2 Plumlee's and perhaps a 3rd one. I for one am very excited about this recruiting class as long as Boynton is wearing a Duke uniform his Freshman year.

Whats the word on who Duke will offer with the last scholarship?

Smile

Right on, Bob. I met and shook the hands of the Plumlees, and I have the same judgment about their size as you did from several thousand miles away! Miles is getting some good development in his arms and shoulders, and Mason looks every bit of 6'11" (Their parents say youngest brother Marshall may be the tallest of the bunch). By the way, Brick Oettinger now has Mason Plumlee #12 in the class of 2009.

I think Mason Plumlee will be a Josh McRoberts type, but with a smile and a shooting touch.

I don't share in your optimism, Bob, regarding either Plumlee being a banger, but I sure hope you're right.

I'm a little frustrated that K seems to only recruit finesse 4's and 5's. Don't get me wrong, McRoberts and Singler can play/have played hard-nosed defense and rebound inside, but both players spend a little too much time on the perimeter (especially Singler).

Whenever Mason Plumlee is mentioned in article, phrases like "loves to float around the perimeter" make me cringe. Duke hasn't had a banger in the paint since Shelden Williams, and I really think Duke can be a Final Four team and title contender with an athletic, hard-nosed power forward/center who rebonds like a champ and shoots 60% from the field. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe Patrick Patterson would have made this Duke team national champion by the time he left for the NBA.

I really hope Mason can become a beast inside. I have slightly higher hopes for Miles to be a steady post presence on both sides of the ball, but I'm still concerned about the next couple years inside. We have so many options inside, hopefully one of Lance, Z, Miles, or Olek takes some extra initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    I don't share in your optimism, Bob, regarding either Plumlee being a banger, but I sure hope you're right.

I'm a little frustrated that K seems to only recruit finesse 4's and 5's. Don't get me wrong, McRoberts and Singler can play/have played hard-nosed defense and rebound inside, but both players spend a little too much time on the perimeter (especially Singler).

Whenever Mason Plumlee is mentioned in article, phrases like "loves to float around the perimeter" make me cringe. Duke hasn't had a banger in the paint since Shelden Williams, and I really think Duke can be a Final Four team and title contender with an athletic, hard-nosed power forward/center who rebonds like a champ and shoots 60% from the field. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe Patrick Patterson would have made this Duke team national champion by the time he left for the NBA.

I really hope Mason can become a beast inside. I have slightly higher hopes for Miles to be a steady post presence on both sides of the ball, but I'm still concerned about the next couple years inside. We have so many options inside, hopefully one of Lance, Z, Miles, or Olek takes some extra initiative.
    Syracuse in 2003 didn't really have much of a "banger" inside. Hakim Warrick was listed at 6'8 218, though he did have freakishly long arms, and Craig Forth was a slow-footed 7 ft. Of course they had Melo who was 6'8 but was more of a perimeter player. It doesn't happen often that you see a title team without a "banger" but it is possible. In fact, I think we'll look alot like the Cuse 03 squad next year, Paulus/McNamara, Melo/Hendo (he won't have to put up the same numbers), Singler/Warrick (in an ideal world Thomas would be like Warrick and Singler like Melo but I doubt that happens). And UCONN in 99 had Jake Voshkul (sp?) hardly a stud but they beat possibly Duke's best "banger" that year.

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    And UCONN in 99 had Jake Voshkul (sp?) hardly a stud but they beat possibly Duke's best "banger" that year.
    your exactly right.

uconn beat duke in the '99 Finals against Duke's best "banger" elton brand.

the point ur missing is that duke made it to the championship game!!

the past 2 seasons w/o a "banger" duke has not made it to the sweet sixteen.

duke already has the perimenter players, duke needs to focus on recruiting 1-2 "bangers" in order to move to the sweet sixteen and contend for the championship. otherwise its going to be another short tournament for us.

henderson, singler, thomas they are getting worn out guarding bigger players and then late in the year, teams are punishing duke inside.

Really we just need someone to rebound, rebound, and rebound some more. Our lack of great rebounding definitely lost us some games last year (WVU outrebounded us 45-19). If the Plumlee brothers are realy 6'10" and 225-ish then they should definitely be able to grab some boards.

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    your exactly right.

uconn beat duke in the '99 Finals against Duke's best "banger" elton brand.

the point ur missing is that duke made it to the championship game!!

the past 2 seasons w/o a "banger" duke has not made it to the sweet sixteen.

duke already has the perimenter players, duke needs to focus on recruiting 1-2 "bangers" in order to move to the sweet sixteen and contend for the championship. otherwise its going to be another short tournament for us.

henderson, singler, thomas they are getting worn out guarding bigger players and then late in the year, teams are punishing duke inside.

The point of my post was that a team can win a title even without a stud "banger" inside, you don't need AA type big men, what you do need is big men that can play defense and rebound to compliment a hopefully great group of guards.