Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Open

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I think Rocco's dance when he addresses the ball is hilarious. He does the exact same thing every time. Whatever works!

I'm feeling a little sick and may not be able to go to work today.
    You're OK until about 2:00 PM Eastern. NBC is televising the back nine.

I'm sort of torn on the Tiger theatrics. I don't think I'm a total fuddy duddy - I understand the game's accepted a little more of a casual attitude toward emotional displays in recent years, partly due to the fan base Tiger brings. I complain about automatons with no discernible personality like Davis Love III, too, so a little animation is alright with me.

That said, I still prefer to see a guy win with a dignified display over a lot of today's constant fist-pumping. Imagine yourself, after sinking a putt on the 18th to win (nay, to tie) a match at the local course, acting like Tiger did yesterday. You'd appear quite the fool, I'm sure. The fact that the stakes are higher for Tiger doesn't make that much of a difference to me. It's fed by the crowd, I guess, but it's not like they don't send up a roar when someone else makes a big putt. Think how much fun we'd make of Phil Mickelson if he ran after a ball pointing at it on its way into the hole.

It's not just Tiger, of course. Still, they showed a replay yesterday of him after that first eagle putt Saturday, on an iso camera with the sound engineered to focus in on him. I'd never heard anything like this before, as he's always drowned out by the gallery's reaction to his big putte. He basically ran off the green yelling and screaming. It was really pretty obnoxious.

There's a little bit of a double standard applied to Tiger because he's (a) likely the greatest player of all time, or will be, and (b) the greatest moneymaker the PGA will ever know. So his antics are encouraged. Tiger always conducts himself with the utmost composure and class off the course, more than a lot of guys, and has matured greatly. I like Tiger a lot, and I like watching him. But I see where throaty's coming from.

Back on topic, Tiger will win today. Not because he's better - he is, but hasn't played any better than Rocco over 72 holes. It's just that Rocco had two 4-5 foot saving putts he missed on the back nine yesterday that would have won it for him. He's played wonderfully, but I suspect he'll be out of tricks today. Especially if Tiger doesn't let him get three up by blowing up on the first two holes.

Anyone have an idea approximately what time the last 3 to 4 holes of today's round will be played?? I never watched golf before yesterday, but got drawn in, and would like to see the last few holes today. Thanks!

I don't generally object to Tiger's (or anyone else's) "displays" unless they are a. done too often, or b. contrived. Tiger's fist pump yesterday was *entirely* appropriate; hell, my wife and I even jumped! (and we, certainly she, are not even golf fans.) That was an amazing make. And his knee is clearly bothering him - look at the grimaces, and his lifting of the foot when swinging.

Mediate is great, too - love his attitude, energy, personality. All around an underdog anyone can root for! However, he is by no means a "bad" golfer - he actually has over $13M in career winnings. I point this out not to diminish his story in any way: rather, just to point out that he's a pretty good golfer in his own right.

I don't oppose excitement on the course. Golf has always had too staid a demeanor. I don't want to see any in-your-face histrionics, though. I also would not be in opposition to changing US Open playoffs over to match play rather than stroke play.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I'm sort of torn on the Tiger theatrics. I don't think I'm a total fuddy duddy - I understand the game's accepted a little more of a casual attitude toward emotional displays in recent years, partly due to the fan base Tiger brings. I complain about automatons with no discernible personality like Davis Love III, too, so a little animation is alright with me.

That said, I still prefer to see a guy win with a dignified display over a lot of today's constant fist-pumping. Imagine yourself, after sinking a putt on the 18th to win (nay, to tie) a match at the local course, acting like Tiger did yesterday. You'd appear quite the fool, I'm sure. The fact that the stakes are higher for Tiger doesn't make that much of a difference to me. It's fed by the crowd, I guess, but it's not like they don't send up a roar when someone else makes a big putt. Think how much fun we'd make of Phil Mickelson if he ran after a ball pointing at it on its way into the hole.

It's not just Tiger, of course. Still, they showed a replay yesterday of him after that first eagle putt Saturday, on an iso camera with the sound engineered to focus in on him. I'd never heard anything like this before, as he's always drowned out by the gallery's reaction to his big putte. He basically ran off the green yelling and screaming. It was really pretty obnoxious.
    When I make any birdie at any time, I fall to my knees, look skyward and point up, then I roll over on my back and kick my legs in the air, then I jump up dace a little jig and point to whomever I'm playing with and yell, "suck on that!".
    ~rthomas

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    When I make any birdie at any time, I fall to my knees, look skyward and point up, then I roll over on my back and kick my legs in the air, then I jump up dace a little jig and point to whomever I'm playing with and yell, "suck on that!".
    LOL..now if Tiger did that, I would say maybe Throaty had a point.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FnW3jlyAzkM&feature=related

Emotional celebrations are nothing new. The entire clip is 8 minutes, but to see two golfers running while they celebrate great shots, scroll forward to around the 4:30 mark.

ESPN is following and broadcasting the front nine.

Tiger managed to not double the first (got a par) to Rocco's bogey so things look good for him.

I'm watching the live stream at www.usopen.com . Pretty good video quality.

Rocco just hit out of a bunker and bounced off a cart path real high, which in turn bounced off another cart path. Not looking good for this hole (5).

Edit: His 3rd shot isn't as bad as I thought it was going t obe.

Oh and in case you need another incentive to watch online - instead of commercials they just cut to a live shot of the beautiful San Diego coast.

At first I thought it was a still shot until I saw a bird fly by and then saw the waves were moving.

Tiger's got a 2 stroke lead right now but just landed in a tough bunker on a par 3.

Tiger made some bogies there to now remain only 1 stroke ahead (+2 vs. +3) as we go into #13 - a hole which has certainly produced some excitement this weekend.

Now's a good time to tune in folks - 1 stroke difference w/ 6 holes remaining...

The live feed on usopen.com is great!! I've never watched golf before, but this is making me a fan!! I'm not getting any work done this afternoon, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    I'm not getting any work done this afternoon, though!
    You and me both, my friend.

I have 2 laptops on my desk though - one here I'm working on and the other functioning as the TV.

Rocco takes a 1 stroke lead with 3 holes to play...

He made an very nice birdie putt while Tiger missed his from about half the distance.

It's funny - a mere 24 hours ago I had never even watched a total of 5 minutes of golf in my life. Now I can't get enough of this and I'm captivated by it! Great drama!

Tiger's long putt for birdie on 16 was dead on but came up about 1 inch short. A punch in the gut.

Rocco's up a stroke w/ 2 holes left to play - exciting times.

Both got par on 17 - one hole left for Tiger to make up a stroke...

So on hole 18 Rocco gets on the green 3, Tiger in 2 - and my power goes out. It's still not back on - I'm using a laptop and my mobile data card to get internet.

Unfortunately, despite what is advertised, these things are slow as crap (and yes, I'm using Rev-A) so video is definitely out - I can barely get these mostly text-only pages to come up.

Can someone provide me a play by play as we go to sudden death (I found out they both 2-putted to force sudden death by having to call a friend).