Thread: Titanic FUN!

Titanic FUN!

Does anyone else out there find the choice to create this popular ride (I've actually seen this at fairs) a bit odd, a tad insensitive? I mean, hey, I know nothing says "fun for the kids" quite like a ride that simulates the slow, agonizing death of thousands, but come on!

Titanic Fun!.jpg

That kid looks to be having a ton O' fun, enjoying the "death slide." What would make this ride ideal would be if the rider (or slider) was deposited into the deep end of a swimming pool filled with icy cold water.

And you gotta love the guy striking a pose at the bottom of the photo. Who could have known that fateful evening in 1912 that, as the ship was slithering down to the ocean floor, that it was doing so at just the right angle to provide endless entertainment for children nearly 100 years later. It's truly one of the "feel good" stories that came out of the tragedy.

Is it too soon for an inflatable ride that simulates the thrill and fun of the Challenger explosion?

-EarlJam

P.S. It really does blow my mind. Not necessarily the ride itself (well, yeah, that too), but just the fact that someone looked at an image of the Titanic sinking and actually thought, "Hey, I've got a good idea!...."

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Does anyone else out there find the choice to create this popular ride (I've actually seen this at fairs) a bit odd, a tad insensitive? I mean, hey, I know nothing says "fun for the kids" quite like a ride that simulates the slow, agonizing death of thousands, but come on!

That kid looks to be having a ton O' fun, enjoying the "death slide." What would make this ride ideal would be if the rider (or slider) was deposited into the deep end of a swimming pool filled with icy cold water.

And you gotta love the guy striking a pose at the bottom of the photo. Who could have known that fateful evening in 1912 that, as the ship was slithering down to the ocean floor, that it was doing so at just the right angle to provide endless entertainment for children nearly 100 years later. It's truly one of the "feel good" stories that came out of the tragedy.

Is it too soon for an inflatable ride that simulates the thrill and fun of the Challenger explosion?

-EarlJam

P.S. It really does blow my mind. Not necessarily the ride itself (well, yeah, that too), but just the fact that someone looked at an image of the Titanic sinking and actually thought, "Hey, I've got a good idea!...."
    I may be desensitized a little, but I don't find it insensitive. There are theme park rides that exploit earthquakes and other natural tragedies, and don't forget about Jaws the ride. The video game industry thrives on a variety of social tragedies such as war and violence.

I do find it extremely odd; odd and silly. To make matters worse, somebody actually received money for the idea. I mean, they get paid every day to come up with ideas, and bad ones at that. That bothers me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I may be desensitized a little, but I don't find it insensitive. There are theme park rides that exploit earthquakes and other natural tragedies, and don't forget about Jaws the ride. The video game industry thrives on a variety of social tragedies such as war and violence.

I do find it extremely odd; odd and silly. To make matters worse, somebody actually received money for the idea. I mean, they get paid every day to come up with ideas, and bad ones at that. That bothers me the most.
    Oh no. I personally don't find it offensive or insensitive (if anything, just humorous), but if I had ancestors that were on the Titanic, I don't think I'd like seeing it converted to a cheap inflatable carnival ride. Maybe that's it. The fact that a tragedy of such magnitude has been reduced to a piece of crap gimmick. It at least deserves it's own roller coaster ride at Disney or something. Regarding Jaws, and natural tragedies, well, that's a much more general category. If the ride was made to a specific earthquake, or hurricane, etc., (e.g. "Come experience the Crazy Katrina Catapult!") then to me it would be much like the Titanic Ride.

To your latter point (last paragraph), totally agree.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Oh no. I personally don't find it offensive or insensitive (if anything, just humorous), but if I had ancestors that were on the Titanic, I don't think I'd like seeing it converted to a cheap inflatable carnival ride. Maybe that's it. The fact that a tragedy of such magnitude has been reduced to a piece of crap gimmick. It at least deserves it's own roller coaster ride at Disney or something. Regarding Jaws, and natural tragedies, well, that's a much more general category. If the ride was made to a specific earthquake, or hurricane, etc., (e.g. "Come experience the Crazy Katrina Catapult!") then to me it would be much like the Titanic Ride.

To your latter point (last paragraph), totally agree.

-EarlJam
    I didn't find it all that bad either. You've got a good point about naming rides after the specific events; that would totally suck.
    As far as Disney status goes, if you're going to have a bad idea, why go inflatable? I'd be much happier if they threw a few hundred tons of metal and wood at the idea, put a fast track line to the front, and over charged me for a bottle of water while I waited in line for the ride. Perhaps the inflatable Titanic slide is part of a pilot program?

This thread has gotten me thinking about roller coasters now. I need a vacation.