Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    No concessions necessary. Everyone is free to root for their team. I don't have any personal emnity for Duke fans. My wife used to be one until she actually became a student at UK. It's good to see that I could post an opinion here and not be crucified. I'd hope that the same courtesy would be extended to a Duke fan on a UK board. I'm certain it would be, as long as no one resorted to personal attacks.

Peace,
    John

More Duke Haters on ESPN

I'm not saying that you should click on the link (I didn't), but I am mentioning this because it seems to cross the boundary between Duke hating and mean-spirited attacks on Coach K. Under the rotating spotlight section, one of the categories is "More". One of the two items which appear in this category is an article apparently about a book written by Will Blythe, and the image shows coach K photo-shopped to look like a rat/orc from Lord of the Rings. Disgusting.

The link may be an excerpt about Blythe recoiling about her gf's attraction to Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Uhh, why do you think Wojo is the "big man coach"?
    Well now that just underscores the need for a big man coach who actually played center, doesn't it.

Unless we can send Wojo back to Pete Newell's camp to learn how to choke a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

what is the point of this?

the general sentiment seems to be that the Duke hatred has escalated to new levels recently. This just seems ridiculous though - the article isnt bad, but the doctored photo of K, as the cover for a national bestseller? Its almost sickening

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/s...t&lid=tab6pos2

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Oh Wow

I just read that excerpt, steven52682, and I stand by my earlier post. It's gotta be, in part, the girlfriend thing!

I think I like Will Blythe's ex-girlfriend.

Second the motion to stop calling players "kids"

Could be wrong, but I think it goes back to Bobby Knight in the early days. I take it as a way of underscoring the authoritarian nature of the coach-player relationship and the cult of personality in college basketball coaching. If players are cast as "kids," then they are a complete tabula rasa upon which the great man can write, moulding them eventually into young men prepared to sacrifice for some cause greater than themselves. It's a way of saying: "Look at me, the coach; I'm the star attraction here."

Oh come on, lighten up.

I've heard people all the way up to 30 called "kids." 28-32 is a gray area, but "kid" has broadened so much that all it means anymore is "reasonably young." Hell, I'm a kid.

In the 3rd person, I call all my students except those older than me "kids" in the collective. My Intro kids, my British [Lit I] kids, my History [of the English Language] kids. Our exchange students are mostly Korean kids. We have MA kids. A lot of English Ed kids. To my senior colleagues, I'm the kid we hired three years ago. I'm the kid who teaches Linguistics to the kids. Just becuase Greg Oden looks 50 and could squish me with one hand doesn't mean he's not a kid.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Oh come on, lighten up.

I've heard people all the way up to 30 called "kids." 28-32 is a gray area, but "kid" has broadened so much that all it means anymore is "reasonably young." Hell, I'm a kid.

In the 3rd person, I call all my students except those older than me "kids" in the collective. My Intro kids, my British [Lit I] kids, my History [of the English Language] kids. Our exchange students are mostly Korean kids. We have MA kids. A lot of English Ed kids. To my senior colleagues, I'm the kid we hired three years ago. I'm the kid who teaches Linguistics to the kids. Just becuase Greg Oden looks 50 and could squish me with one hand doesn't mean he's not a kid.
    I hope I am always referred to as a kid. Makes me feel young.

Anti-Duke / Pro-UNC

Just wanted to relay a story from mt brother who lives and works in the DC area. Last week while driving home from work he was listening to NPR and the radio personality was a UNC alum. He proceeded to take up airtime explaining why he loved his tarheels for fifteen minutes and then played the UNC fight song forcing everyone who didn't turn the dial to listen. There is no clearer example of UNC media trying to brainwash the ignorant masses into seeing things in a shade of baby blue.
    And this wasn't in Carborro, Greensboro or even Charlotte. This was smack in the middle of UVA and MD country! God knows MD fans would have been calling for this guys head if he were a Duke alum and did the same. But there is a double standard across the nation when it comes to Duke and any other school. The problem is they have yet to figure out the evil empire bully of the NCAA is not Duke but the school just to the west of them.

Hi all. I want to state up front that I am a UNC grad. I have been reading over here for many years. This particular thread has been most interesting.
    Let me say (believe it or not) that I pulled for Duke when they were playing the Danny Manning Kansas team. That was a particularly likeable group of players. It's hard to pinpoint exactly when that changed but I do vividly remember the first negative article and I believe it was 91 or 92 but before the so called "stomp". The article stated that where previous teams had seemed like fresh-faced all American kids this team had become snarly and arrogant. I believe that this perceived transformation began with the arrival of Laettner. If I can understand why you would despise a JR Reid or McCants or McGinnis then surely you can understand why most people began to despise Laettner. (Although I did feel sorry for him to get booed at the ACC tournment-that shouldn't happen). Yes some of the resentment was generated by success but what amazes me is that the way to stop it or at least stem the bleeding is very simple. Stop doing the stuff that feeds the media frenzy. The latest example is the "Henderson incident". Do I think that Henderson meant to break Tyler's nose? No, that is stupid. But had Coach K gone to the press conference and simply said " We feel very badly that Tyler was hurt and we hope he recovers quickly" that would have pretty much ended it. He fed controversy by trying to lay blame on Tyler being in the game. And again after all the commercial controversy here is another State Farm commercial. I have to think that he doesn't really care about the criticism. It seems at times that he feels that his success and status as a Hall of Famer should make him invulnerable to the same scrutiny that other coaches have to deal with. Anyway this is a long (and probably boring) first post.
    Later
    vmurray

Quote Originally Posted by vmurray View Post
    But had Coach K gone to the press conference and simply said " We feel very badly that Tyler was hurt and we hope he recovers quickly" that would have pretty much ended it.
    I don't think that would prove to be accurate.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Hi all. I want to state up front that I am a UNC grad. I have been reading over here for many years. This particular thread has been most interesting.
    Let me say (believe it or not) that I pulled for Duke when they were playing the Danny Manning Kansas team. That was a particularly likeable group of players. It's hard to pinpoint exactly when that changed but I do vividly remember the first negative article and I believe it was 91 or 92 but before the so called "stomp". The article stated that where previous teams had seemed like fresh-faced all American kids this team had become snarly and arrogant. I believe that this perceived transformation began with the arrival of Laettner. If I can understand why you would despise a JR Reid or McCants or McGinnis then surely you can understand why most people began to despise Laettner. (Although I did feel sorry for him to get booed at the ACC tournment-that shouldn't happen). Yes some of the resentment was generated by success but what amazes me is that the way to stop it or at least stem the bleeding is very simple. Stop doing the stuff that feeds the media frenzy. The latest example is the "Henderson incident". Do I think that Henderson meant to break Tyler's nose? No, that is stupid. But had Coach K gone to the press conference and simply said " We feel very badly that Tyler was hurt and we hope he recovers quickly" that would have pretty much ended it. He fed controversy by trying to lay blame on Tyler being in the game. And again after all the commercial controversy here is another State Farm commercial. I have to think that he doesn't really care about the criticism. It seems at times that he feels that his success and status as a Hall of Famer should make him invulnerable to the same scrutiny that other coaches have to deal with. Anyway this is a long (and probably boring) first post.
    Later
    vmurray
    Thanks, vmurray. Hope you keep posting here. Always nice to have rational opposing fans to give us a different perspective.

FWIW, I agree with you about Coach K's post-game comments. They were a little out of whack, and not really the best idea at the time. I mean, I can understand what he was trying to do, but he just didn't use his words very wisely.

That being said, I think you're correct in that I don't think Coach K really cares about the crticism. He has built an honorable and a decent program, and he's not going to let some hack media writers tell him otherwise. While I applaud his staunch desire not to give in to the ridiculousness that is the sports media at some times, I also think this can lead to problems of perception, as you pointed out.

It's a fine line you have to tread when you're the leader of a program like Duke. Every little thing is scrutinized like no where else, and every word you say is picked apart. That is the reality, love it or hate it. Might as well embrace that and try and work with it rather than trying to push against it.

For the most part I think Coach K does a great job of doing the former, but the sad thing is that when he messes up and does the latter, that's all you hear about for days and days and days...

Agreed. I don't think it much matters what K says or does anymore. He never gets a fair trial.

May not have ended the whole thing, but it wouldn't have stirred up even more of a controversy. Fact is, Coach K's post-game comments only served to stir the pot, not calm it down.

Later
    vmurray
    it seems that roy williams is ignoring the commercial controversy as well, since he's started doing them... has he gotten the same "scrutiny" for that? because I haven't noticed it...

Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    it seems that roy williams is ignoring the commercial controversy as well, since he's started doing them... has he gotten the same "scrutiny" for that? because I haven't noticed it...

Scrutiny? All the "journalists" in North Carolina are probably lining up to buy whatever products he pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    Scrutiny? All the "journalists" in North Carolina are probably lining up to buy whatever products he pitches.
    it did set up the perfect opportunity to tease carolina fans after the game.

"gee, you look sad. here's a dime. go buy yourself a coke."

note: this was only said to carolina fans who had previously heckled me after the duke loss

Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    it did set up the perfect opportunity to tease carolina fans after the game.

"gee, you look sad. here's a dime. go buy yourself a coke."

note: this was only said to carolina fans who had previously heckled me after the duke loss

next time, buy them all cokes -- and shake them up before you give them.

Devildownunder nailed it: Carolina fans have quickly shut up about the "commercial controversy"...

But you don't see major media outlets blistering Roy for his newfound "recruiting advantage."

In my opinion, both coaches' commercials are a complete non-issue.

1) Was Laettner really booed at the ACC Tournament this year? That's just ridiculous. He graduated 15 years ago! I realize everyone hated him because he was great, white, and arrogant, but seriously, that was fifteen years ago! Also, regarding his allegedly bad attitude, perhaps he lacked warm and fuzzy respect for opposing fans because he was constantly and loudly accused of being gay everywhere he went. Whatever anyone thought about Laettner when he was assassinating their favorite team (fifteen years ago) any legitimate sports fan should give him the respect he deserves today.

2) Laettner's "stomp" incident is so overrated. He obviously wasn't trying to hurt that guy. Regardless, that was in the regional final in Laettner's senior year. Everyone who hated Laettner - everyone - already hated him before the stomp. The stomp is a justification, not a reason, for the hate.

3) I feel Kentucky fans' pain for the 1992 loss. I really do. I think it's a great story how all those kids' jersies were retired. The whole thing was an epic chapter in the history of NCAA basketball. Duke has had its share of heartbreak since then, but admittedly nothing quite like that.

4) Coach K's handling of the Henderson incident was stupid. He should have just apologized profusely and emphasized that's not how Duke plays the game. He could have done that and still maintained that it was unintentional. It was silly and unnecessary to imply that Hansbrough shouldn't have been on the court while we were still fouling and "trying to win" after the game was obviously over. Having said all that, I agree that UNC fans seem to have lost their collective minds over that incident. I also think UNC needs to learn how to hold the ball and run out the clock at the end of games they're winning instead of running up the score (not just the Duke game, but several other examples throughout the year).

5) This board format is a vast improvement over the old one.

6) It feels good to dust off the McGrupp moniker.