Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    You don't think we can matchup with Deon Thompson? I think, especially know with Czyz and Plumlee, we shouldn't have a problem with Thompson, Hans will get his though. UNC will be very good with Frasor at point and yes, when they play teams like they did during Lawson's injury they will win but when they faced elite teams they needed Lawson, look at the two Duke/UNC games. Lawson puts them head and shoulders above other elite teams, without him they are still a very good team, top 10 maybe even top 5, but I don't think they would be much better than any of the other top teams.
    I think that if you consider Thompson to be the "5", then the edge has to go to UNC there, as well as at the "4." While Thompson didn't live up to the hype this past year, he's still a junior and did average over 8ppg last year. I wouldn't say he dominates us at that spot, but I'd give them the slight edge at that spot until proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    To clarify, I mean ACC preseason #1.

Looking at each team's projected top contributors...and assuming Lawson is gone for the NBA (but Ellington/Green return to school)...

PG Paulus/Smith
    SG Scheyer/Williams
    SF Henderson/Poicous
    PF Singler /Czyz
    C Thomas/Zoubek/Miles
    -Nelson, King

PG Frasor/Drew
    SG Ellington/Green
    SF Ginyard
    PF Thompson/Zeller
    C Hansbrough/Davis
    -Lawson, Stephenson, Q. Thomas

The bold items are "who has the advantage at that position" (based on my opinions). Which means Duke has the advantage at 3 positions: PG, SF, PF. I also think UNC loses more. However, if Lawson returns, which seems unlikely from reports, then UNC would gain the advantage at PG. Of course, UNC has the best sixth man in the country in Green and the National Player of the Year in Hansbrough, but I think Singler and Henderson are ready for superstar status.

I think that if Lawson leaves, Duke should be ACC preseason #1.
    duke is deeper with perimeter players, but duke has nothing inside to go up against hansbrough, the national player of the year. i just hope zobek improves dramaticlly this summer, and carries duke to the national championship.
    Last edited by speedevil; 06-12-2008 at 04:23 AM. Reason: left out incoming players, that may be a key factor in determining who has the better overall team

UNC will be the preseason ACC #1 even without Lawson, and even without Lawson and Ellington. They are the defending champs and return the NPOY.

How good they will actually end up being will depend on the backcourt. Can Frasor stay healthy? Is Drew ready to contribute?