1. Mindboggling Confession

During K's 10 Final Fours, 7 title appearances and 3 National titles, I have been an avid Duke fan. I have a nice handful of autographs, I have been on campus after all 3 title wins (and also '99), I have two Duke tattoos on my arms, and my sons' names are Grant and Quin. Despite my undisputed allegiance, there has been a troubling occurence.

For nearly 11 years I was previously employed as an HR professional with UNC Health Care. Despite the fact that the health care system is on campus, it's not quite considered an institution of die-hard Baby Blues. True, Baby Blues are all over the place within the hospital walls, but the place doesn't reek of it.

Nearly two years ago I resigned my position at UNC Health Care to dabble in private industry but I quickly discovered that State employment is my best fit. I recently accepted a new State position and I am ecstatic to have returned to State government. The problem is this:

I am now employed with the University, as in UNC, as in I am a true, completely affiliated employee of the State institution that is, smells and screams of inferior blue. To make matters worse - I am the Recruitment Marketing Manager. Yes, the title is as bad as it sounds; my bills are paid based on my committment and dedication to selling UNC as the place to work.

Needless to say, the ribbing has already begun and it's not even November yet. Just imagine how horrific March will be for me! When my allegiance is questioned, my line is simply this: There are already plenty of good Duke folks in Durham. At UNC I am simply a mole on a mission to spread the wealth of Duke spirit and excellence. Honestly please: Dukies, am I a traitor?

Yes.

and good luck

Wink Livelihood and Belief

H.L. Mencken famously wrote: "It is hard to get a man to believe something when his livelihood depends on him believing something else."

Does this herald your your end as a Blue Devil?

sagegrouse

I think a better way to look at this is that you're taking resources away from the the UNC system. Instead of your salary going to some light blue, smurf-loving weenie it's going to someone who understands which shade of blue is superior.

As a bonus, in your position as Recruting Marketing Manager you can help swell the ranks of Dukies in the UNC ranks.

I don't think that this is so cut-and-dry. Look at it this way: you are liberating some funds from that institution that might otherwise have gone to someone that did not realize what excellence, sportsmanship, and class really means. Who better to take a check from Them?

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    Honestly please: Dukies, am I a traitor?
    No. You've gotta do what you've gotta do. Your family depends on you earning a living.

But having said that, couldn't you find something similar elsewhere within our enormous State government? Maybe at one of the State hospitals? Or at NC State? Or in DMA (my wife works there).

If your heart isn't in to what you are selling, you won't sell it very well, and either by choice or not, you'll seek another position within a couple of years. Paraphrasing what the Monk said to Indiana Jones' rival for the Cup of Life, "you chose poorly".
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

No, with a few conditions...

1) You spread the good word to all of your ignorant co-workers... even in the face of persecution.

2) You NEVER put on a piece of clothing with the actual emblem of evil on it.

3) You attend more Duke games than Carolina games in any given season (regardless of price or opportunity).

4) If you ever say the words, "I actually really like ________ (Carolina Basketball Player). He seems like a good kid and always plays hard," YOU IMMEDIATELY RESIGN FROM YOUR JOB!!!

Solution

I have the perfect solution. Get a job at Butner (for those who don't know Butner is the NC state mental institution) then even as crazy as the patients are you can take ease they aren't as loco as your present coworkers.

TwoDukeTattoos..

In time of conflict, some of the bravest and most valuable soldiers are those that operate behind enemy lines. Think of yourself as a Special Forces Duke fan.
    Last edited by roywhite; 06-08-2008 at 07:54 AM.

as ashley judd would say... "i'd rather freeze to death"

Am I a traitor?
    Absolutely not. You are a fine representative of Duke University, having found a great job that, the rivalry aside, is at a great place that requires you to do great things.

The only way one's employment can undermine one's "Dukeness" is to work on behalf of the vehicle we despise: the UNC athletic department. You are doing no such thing. Instead, you're helping to improve the health care system in North Carolina, and you can do that by supporting the quality of a good school's employee population. Nothing in that job description detracts from your love for Duke; nothing in that job description will require you to say anything about Duke (or others) that you do not believe.

You're doing what you need to do. And none of that requires you to sell out. You're not changing who you are for this job, either. You're not changing the way you walk or talk; you're not disowning your past; you're not changing the clothes you wear; you're just being yourself in a different place with different people. Your Dukeness is intact.

Or as Snoop Doggy Dog has said, "You can't blame a [man] for getting paid."

I don't feel you are a traitor. When I read your post, I instantly thought of all the carolina fans who work at the hospital at Duke. They are among the lowest and highest paid and have no problem proclaiming their allegience to the slimey blue. Thank you for evening out the situation a little. And let's face it, both are fine medical institutions and they typically work fairly well together. When my nephew was 13 and being treated for cancer, he was at unc but Duke physicians were consulted every step of of the way through his treatment.

Honestly please: Dukies, am I a traitor?
    You're not a traitor. You're a spy. Bring back some good intel, and maintain cover.
    "There can BE only one."

Good luck

As a Ph.D. holder from UNC, I can only say good luck. I used to offer the classes I taught a day off the next class after the Holes beat Duke in hoops. Fortunately, my time there also coincided with a run of something like 15 out of 18 games when the Devils won. For your sake (and all the rest of us too) I only hope you will be so lucky.

Best,

Balkan Boy

You're a pilgrim in an unholy land, and I, for one, salute you for it!

This is SO going to be you when hoops season starts:.......

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/108653.html

-EarlJam

Try wearing Duke basketball shorts under all your work pants, like when Mike Jordan wore his old heel shorts under his Bulls uniform. Yeah, so what if it's 100 degrees out..are ye a TruBluTwoDukeTatoos guy or ain't ye?

No Traitor IF....

You're not a traitor if you proudly wear the Duke colors, stand tall and not skulk away in defeat, and never fail to grind the 'holes into the ground with class and grace whenever the ocassion arises.........otherwise, YES, but you still hafta make a living.

We got Terry Sanford, and they get you. Thanks for taking one for the team!