Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Curve is better than the 8800 series. Lighter, smaller, camera, still has a good keyboard. curve is the best blackberry so far. the bold looks like it will be good too.

someone said earlier that the curve is more of a personal device. the curve only has additional features vs. 8800 ...nothing is missing.
    The Curve has GPS?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Okay, I am bringing this thread back to life. Need some advice from people. Basically, how good is the audio on the newer blackberry models? Basically, I will be needing a blackberry for the first time, and I am wondering whether it is worth having a separate cell for talking. I am not planning on having land line from home.

Are there particular models that get really good audio? I am going to check cnet.com, but I thought I would ask here as well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bhd28 View Post
    Okay, I am bringing this thread back to life. Need some advice from people. Basically, how good is the audio on the newer blackberry models? Basically, I will be needing a blackberry for the first time, and I am wondering whether it is worth having a separate cell for talking. I am not planning on having land line from home.

Are there particular models that get really good audio? I am going to check cnet.com, but I thought I would ask here as well. Thanks!
    Do you mean just as a phone (not MP3 playback)? It'll depend mostly on your coverage. With good coverage, they're fine. With iffy coverage, not as good as a good dedicated phone (Mot or Nokia); those will handle weaker signals better. It's all about the coverage. Who's your carrier of choice?

If you use a headset, that'll also change the audio a lot.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Do you mean just as a phone (not MP3 playback)? It'll depend mostly on your coverage. With good coverage, they're fine. With iffy coverage, not as good as a good dedicated phone (Mot or Nokia); those will handle weaker signals better. It's all about the coverage. Who's your carrier of choice?

If you use a headset, that'll also change the audio a lot.

-jk
    Thanks. I believe I could use any carrier, but the preferred is T-Mobile (primarily in NY, but will have some travel). And yes, audio just as a phone.

FWIW, I love my 8820, and am anxiously awaiting the blackberry slingbox client!

Thanks. I believe I could use any carrier, but the preferred is T-Mobile (primarily in NY, but will have some travel). And yes, audio just as a phone.
    My (limited) experience with T-Mo is that urban coverage is pretty good, but they fall off pretty quickly as you move out. Do you have a phone with them now? Do you get good coverage where you use it?

I'm on Verizon with an 8830, and have good coverage pretty much everywhere I need it (mostly east coast) except two places. Regrettably, my house is one of them right now. They claim to be putting a new site up close by this fall. We've had half a dozen high-rise apartment buildings go up in the last couple years; I think they're over subscribed. If I go three miles in any direction, my problems go away.

-jk

My (limited) experience with T-Mo is that urban coverage is pretty good, but they fall off pretty quickly as you move out. Do you have a phone with them now? Do you get good coverage where you use it?

I'm on Verizon with an 8830, and have good coverage pretty much everywhere I need it (mostly east coast) except two places. Regrettably, my house is one of them right now. They claim to be putting a new site up close by this fall. We've had half a dozen high-rise apartment buildings go up in the last couple years; I think they're over subscribed. If I go three miles in any direction, my problems go away.

-jk
    Hmm... I will be in NY and NJ primarily, and the coverage maps there look pretty good. No, I don't have T-Mo now, though. It is just what the company's preference... though you can choose to use others if you want. That makes me think it is pretty good there in NY. FWIW I have Sprint now, which doesn't look that good in NJ (at least where I will be living).

Hmm... I will be in NY and NJ primarily, and the coverage maps there look pretty good. No, I don't have T-Mo now, though. It is just what the company's preference... though you can choose to use others if you want. That makes me think it is pretty good there in NY. FWIW I have Sprint now, which doesn't look that good in NJ (at least where I will be living).
    Everyone's maps look good; all it takes is a hill or building in an awkward place to mess up coverage on a particular spot. Does your company get a trial period? If so, get one and take it for a test drive!

-jk

Everyone's maps look good; all it takes is a hill or building in an awkward place to mess up coverage on a particular spot. Does your company get a trial period? If so, get one and take it for a test drive!

-jk
    Oooh... I will check. Thanks!