Medal of Honor winner Jack Lucas dies at 80

In September of 1949, I had just moved in to my room in House O on Duke's main quad. Across the hall from me was another freshman, a guy I immediately recognized as another Marine. His name was Jack Lucas, and he had been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism on Iwo Jima late in World War II. He had enrolled at Duke, but he later transferred to High Point College. A few years later he had gone into the US Army, but he never gave up the title of Marine. Much of his life he spent working for veteran's causes. He passed away yesterday in Hattiesburg, MS of leukemia after he asked to be removed from the dialysis machine. The attached picture is him at a Hillary Clinton campaign stop in Mississippi earlier this year.

The AP story is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    In September of 1949, I had just moved in to my room in House O on Duke's main quad. Across the hall from me was another freshman, a guy I immediately recognized as another Marine. His name was Jack Lucas, and he had been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism on Iwo Jima late in World War II. He had enrolled at Duke, but he later transferred to High Point College. A few years later he had gone into the US Army, but he never gave up the title of Marine. Much of his life he spent working for veteran's causes. He passed away yesterday in Hattiesburg, MS of leukemia after he asked to be removed from the dialysis machine. The attached picture is him at a Hillary Clinton campaign stop in Mississippi earlier this year.

The AP story is here.
    Thanks for posting that.

Wow

Great story Jarhead, thank you very much for sharing. I get all goosebumpy when I read stories like this; even more so today because I found out that my brother is coming home from Iraq in a few days!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Great story Jarhead, thank you very much for sharing. I get all goosebumpy when I read stories like this; even more so today because I found out that my brother is coming home from Iraq in a few days!!!
    I read about Jack Lucas yesterday. What an amazing story and individual. The article said he lied about his age to get into the Marines and when it was discovered, he said he would just join the Army if they sent him home. They had him driving trucks in Hawaii, so he snuck on board a Navy ship to fight instead of drive.

2535 Miles: Yeah for you and all his family. Please thank him for his service.