Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Long time fan, first time poster.

Hello everyone. I've been a huge Duke fan for many years now (first college BBall game I can remember was the '90 title game against UNLV...I was 5. I picked the Blue Devils because I didn't like the "showboat" antics of the Rebels). 18 years later, I'm still a huge fan. It's great to finally find a place to talk about the Devils with other fans.

Anyways, to turn this into more of an on-topic thread rather than a lame introduction, here's a question for you guys: what is your favorite non-title moment in Duke history? Take out '91, '92 and '01. Mine has to be Capel's OT shot against UNC @ CIS in '95. I can't count the number of times I (tried) recreating that shot in my driveway back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdog923 View Post
    Hello everyone. I've been a huge Duke fan for many years now (first college BBall game I can remember was the '90 title game against UNLV...I was 5. I picked the Blue Devils because I didn't like the "showboat" antics of the Rebels). 18 years later, I'm still a huge fan. It's great to finally find a place to talk about the Devils with other fans.

Anyways, to turn this into more of an on-topic thread rather than a lame introduction, here's a question for you guys: what is your favorite non-title moment in Duke history? Take out '91, '92 and '01. Mine has to be Capel's OT shot against UNC @ CIS in '95. I can't count the number of times I (tried) recreating that shot in my driveway back in the day.
    Welcome to the board.

I have so many, but the one I always smile at is thinking of Kenny Dennard's breakaway 360 degree dunk in the Regional Finals against Villanova in '78. He had the biggest grin...

...what is your favorite non-title moment in Duke history?
    The triple overtime win over Carolina in early March 1968.
    Bob Green

You were 5?!? That was my freshman year at Duke! DROP DEAD!!!

(TOTALLY just kidding!!! Welcome aboard!)

Welcome to the board! My favorite moment wasn't even a game winner, or a title game. It came from my favorite player, Mr Jason Williams, against UNC. He was being guarded by habitual half court 3 point launcher Brian Morrison, and Morrison decided he would taunt Jay just a bit by slapping the floor in front of him and talking trash. Jay, being the absolute killer that he was, smiled at him, pulled up from about 23 feet with Morrison haplessly jumping at him, and drained a 3 in the manner that Eddie Murphy put so well in "Coming to America"...."In da FACE!!!" . Jay just smiled at him as to say, 'Shut it kid, I'm on an entirely different playing field than you are". Love it.

hmmm. At least recently, I'd have to go with JJ's 41 against Texas in the #1 vs a verrrry distant #2 matchup. Maggette's dunk to go to halftime in the '99 NCAAs at the meadowlands (against temple in the elite 8 I believe) where his head was at the rim was pretty awesome. My dad was there sitting behind sandy koufax...

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    You were 5?!? That was my freshman year at Duke! DROP DEAD!!!

(TOTALLY just kidding!!! Welcome aboard!)

You were a freshman in '90? I envy you then, being there for 2 National Titles.

What Bob said

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I was there (three rows behind the carolina bench) and it was the most intense and exhilarating sports related event that I have ever experienced.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Ditto on the Fred Lind game.

My #2 was my first Duke game. My grandfather took a starry-eyed 8 year-old to the 1964 Duke vs. Tennessee game at the Greensboro Coliseum. Jeff Mullins hit a midcourt buzzer-beater to force the second OT (or maybe the first?) and led Duke to a two-point victory...Nice first memory.

Welcome, Cdog923...and thanks for your first post!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Too Many to count

I have so many favorite moments it is hard to narrow it down to 1, but I will go with the Gene Banks top of the key, buzzer beating, pull up dagger into the heart of unc in I believe 1980? in Cameron. I was 14 years old lying in a hospital bed with appendicitis watching the game with my mom. i just about jumped outa of my bed. My mom (who hated the heels as well) was torn between shouting in celebration and shouting at me to settle down before I busted my gut!

Welcome

Welcome Cdog923! I'm sure you'll find this a great place to discuss Duke BB.

You can't go wrong with the unbelievable Fred Lind game. He earned his scholarship with that one game.

For me, running a close second is THE FIGHT -- Art Heyman vs. UNC. Check it out on youtube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNxqafl6OtI

Welcome Cdog923, I have been down with DUKE since 1958. There have been so many great moments. I was at the Duke-Tennessee (earlier mentioned) thriller in 1964 in Greensboro, where I grew up. The Williams-Battier engineered comeback at Maryland in 2001, down by 10 with one minute to go, stands out. The fantastic 1978 run with Coach Foster, Jim Spanarkle, Gene Banks & Mike Giminski was memorable.

The great Duke team that didn't win the National Title? It had to be Verga, Marin, Vacendak, Lewis & Reidy, under the outstanding Coach Vic Bubas in the mid-60's. Verga's bout with the flu cost them a chance to whip Kentucky and face Texas Western the night after, for the Championship in College Park. (I'm "almost" happy it turned out that way--I was so thrilled for Texas Western, and what their win did for the game--glad it didn't come at OUR expense!).

Maybe, just maybe at the top of my list was Art Heyman's final home game in 1963 (?), when he lit up Carolina for 40. I remember the Sunday paper in Greeensboro had an unforgettable pic of Heyman driving the lane, with ALL FIVE UNC defenders collapsing on him (to no avail). Welcome aboard ! GO DUKE !!!

Wink

I've been a "real" DUKE fan since about the mid to late 90's. Before then, just "college basketball" in general (my son got into DUKE in 1998). I don't know if this is really my favorite (there were too much), but one memorable game was the Wake Forest game (I think it was 04-05) that Patrick Davidson started along with other bench players. Three things about that game... I turned on the TV, and the announcers were very surprised themselves when they introduced the starting line-ups. I saw that, and just jumped off my chair. I couldn't believe it. Then, Patrick went "off" on Chris Paul for those 2-3 minutes. Next, the big hug from Coach K when Patrick was substituted out.

And (the story after the game), one of the bench players (I think it was Joe Pagliuca, but I may be wrong) who told Coach K that if Coach wanted to win, he shouldn't start. He sacrificed his one and only one shining moment for the good of the team. Great stuff.

Welcome!

How about Jay Williams' 10 points (...or was it 11) in 61 seconds to beat Maryland at College Park? And...soooo many more.

Welcome to the best website on the planet! GO DUKE!

I'll always remember seeing the 92 team trounce GT in CIS. I can't remember any spectacular plays specifically, but I remember we pretty much had 20 pt lead for the entire game. I still have my "I'm True Blue" Duke concessions cup somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    Maybe, just maybe at the top of my list was Art Heyman's final home game in 1963 (?), when he lit up Carolina for 40. I remember the Sunday paper in Greeensboro had an unforgettable pic of Heyman driving the lane, with ALL FIVE UNC defenders collapsing on him (to no avail). Welcome aboard ! GO DUKE !!!
    I have that picture in a scrpabook I did when I was 9. The caption was "THE ENEMY IS SURROUNDED, BUT HE ISN'T OURS" SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 1963. Two of the Heels were Larry Brown and Billy Cunningham. Heyman also grabbed 24 rebounds. I also kept the ticket stub, Section 15, Row G, Seat 19-Price $2.50 NO REFUND. I'll be in that seat again next season.

"Special"

The shot to take out Connecticut.

Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I have so many favorite moments it is hard to narrow it down to 1, but I will go with the Gene Banks top of the key, buzzer beating, pull up dagger into the heart of unc in I believe 1980? in Cameron. I was 14 years old lying in a hospital bed with appendicitis watching the game with my mom. i just about jumped outa of my bed. My mom (who hated the heels as well) was torn between shouting in celebration and shouting at me to settle down before I busted my gut!
    I actually dropped to my knees amidst the screaming Cameron fans and cried. I still love Tinkerbell!

To Chrishoke .. thanks for the update; if you can somehow get that HEYMAN pic on here, please .... BRING IT. It was a prize possession of mine, as a HS soph in Greensboro. I'm sure it got thrown out after I made my break for CA. I haven't seen it for over 30 years.

ART was an amazing story. He was not a particularly good shooter, but a great scorer. He hit the boards like a madman, "D'd up" long before the term was born, and played the game in 5th gear, as if there were no tomorrow. I've heard stories of him in the huddle during a final-minute timeout, saying to Coach Bubas "just tell them to get me the ball, and get out of my way ...!"

I remember he once created a "scandal" when a picture of he and Boo Mathis, a young startlet from Caracas, Venezuela, made the national papers. Their indiscretion? ... being photographed, walking down the street, holding hands ... "the horror", right? The Carolina fans had a field day with that one... haaaaaaaaaa.

Those were the days ... They showed him sitting in the stands at a Duke game last year--he looked squarely at the camera, and let out a big laughing yell ... truly one of a kind. Get that picture ! ( please...) Thanks !

You were a freshman in '90? I envy you then, being there for 2 National Titles.

Are you at Duke now? If so, I hope you are there for (at least) 2 national titles!

(And, if not, I still hope you get to see some national titles very soon!!!)