How to treat a black eye?

My buddy got jumped outside of a bar last night, some guy smashed his head into my buddy's face busting up his nose and giving him a nasty black eye. He didn't do anything about it last night. Is there anything he can do now to aid/speed up recovery or decrease the swelling?

Side note: This has just about ruined my day. I simply cannot understand people who would do such things.

Ice and preparation H.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Ice and preparation H.
    Excellent advice!

Papaya enzyme

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Ice and preparation H.
    Ice, Prep H, and file a police report and have the sonofab*tch arrested for assault and battery. Also, go to the local GNC or similar store to buy and take papaya enzyme. That's meat tenderizer and will help break up the black and blue dried blood under his skin. Or so I was told many years ago and it works for me (but it is not medically proven).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I just read "The ingredient in Preparation H that once could shrink the area around the eyes is no longer put in the product in the US, according to their website, so unless you live in Canada, just pass on the Hemorrhoid creams."

Does anyone know how long this lasts? I can't even remember the last time I had a black eye.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    My buddy got jumped outside of a bar last night, some guy smashed his head into my buddy's face busting up his nose and giving him a nasty black eye. He didn't do anything about it last night. Is there anything he can do now to aid/speed up recovery or decrease the swelling?

Side note: This has just about ruined my day. I simply cannot understand people who would do such things.

Take it from someone who has been in more than his fair share of fights over the years (playing hockey and lacrosse as well as working as a bouncer)...the best thing for it is time but you can help it along a bit by using meat tenderizer. I've never tried, nor have I known anyone who has, the ice and Preparation H method but, logically, it sounds like it might help even more than the meat tenderizer.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I just read "The ingredient in Preparation H that once could shrink the area around the eyes is no longer put in the product in the US, according to their website, so unless you live in Canada, just pass on the Hemorrhoid creams."

Does anyone know how long this lasts? I can't even remember the last time I had a black eye.
    I could always send yuo some but, by the time it arrived in the mail (would it even be legal to mail it?), the worst of the injury would be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    I could always send yuo some but, by the time it arrived in the mail (would it even be legal to mail it?), the worst of the injury would be gone.
    Thanks colchar, I really appreciate the offer! I think you're right though, by the time it got here the worst of it would be over. I also haven't heard back from my buddy on the preparation H treatment. I'm getting the vibe that he wants to bail on this option.

I hope your friend got, or will get, an xray or some type of imaging to ensure that there is no fracture. I'm so sorry this happened to him. I detest thugs, bullies, and mean people.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Tthe best thing for it is time but you can help it along a bit by using meat tenderizer.
    That, my friend, is what papaya enzyme is.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

black eye

I agree with using ice, and maybe some meat tenderizer (MSG). But the best solution is ice and the purchase of a hunk of beef liver to slap on the eye.

Remedy #1: Take Vitamin K or alfalfa in tablets helps blood clotting.
    #2: Take Vitamin C to prevent bruising by thickening the walls of blood vessels.
    #3: Chinese people use a mixture of 1 part cayenne pepper and 5 parts melted Vaseline, mix and cool, apply once a day.
    #4: Make a tea with confrey root or buchu soak a rag in the tea and apply to bruised area, this has been shown to reduce pain and discoloration of the skin.
    #5: Experts say the popular muscle soreness remedy Arnica is also your best bet for minimizing bruises and healing them fast. As soon as you notice a swelling or discoloration, gently rub a dollop of this homeopathic cream on it. Arnica shrinks inflammation and increases circulation to flush away the stagnant blood that turns your skin black and blue.

No, No, No

Lots of advice here and pretty questionable. Do you have any idea what cayenne pepper in your eye will feel like? Ice too late. I am an ophthalmologist and putting stuff around your eye, well it often ends up in your eye, well not actually inside it but you get the idea and cayene pepper, homeopathic cream, prep H, meat tenderizer all of this is not so great to get in your eye and none of this is going to help much. My suggestion is get a good pair of sunglasses and if you really need to be seen get some make up and use it. It will go away on its own not much you do is really going to speed it up it will turn a funky yellow after the black and blue phase and take a quite a while to return to normal.