Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Exhaustion

Heat Exhaustion

Played a three-hour+ tennis match on Saturday. Ninety degrees. We played on concrete.

Afterwards, got chills, a bit disoriented (dizziness and a few seconds of tunnel vision), and things started "locking up" (cramps). Calves, hamstrings, feet, arms, sholder, even left side of abs and fingers. The pain was excruciating. Heart was racing, sweating.

No more hot afternoon tennis for EarlJam, who is still working to get in shape after a 10-month hiatus from exercise. Games from this point forward will be played at night or in the morning.

Question: What, besides not playing when it's so dang hot, could be done to help prevent this? I ate bananas and drank lots of water and Gatorade before and during the match.

-EarlJam - who was mildly terrified during the ordeal.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Sometimes wearing a baseball hat backwards can help as the brim will keep the sun from beating down on your neck which, I understand, can be a major factor in heat exhaustion.

Serve and volley.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    Serve and volley.
    Amen to that.

I repeat - Amen to THAT!

-EarlJam

Unfortunately, not much you could have done, other than ease your way into it. Sure, even more water drinking than you had done would have helped some, but going from nothing to 3+hrs of exercise in the sun is WAY to much of a jump. If you plan to play in that kind of weather again, start off a week or two in advance jogging in that kind of heat/sun for increasing amounts of time. Your body will adjust, for the most part.

Just think of the reaction you had as your body saying ! What the h311 are you thinking?

Play without a shirt so you can sweat more, heehee. Probably wouldn't do much, but decreasing the weight of clothing/increasing ventilation does help. Drinking lots of fluids and eating bananas was wise, and that's all you could really expect to do. Just exerting yourself so much in such hot and humid conditions when your body wasn't ready for it caused the ailment, I'd expect.

I've had cramps once (also during a tennis match; mostly in my calves), and hope to never replicate that again. Possibly the most pain I've felt in my life so I can sympathize with you. The pain would come and go (which almost made it worse since it would come out of nowhere when I wasn't expecting it during a point as opposed to a constant pain), and I was super close to winning a tight long match, so I actually finished the match (and won!). I especially wanted to finish b/c I was playing the biggest jerk ever - he was complaining that I wasn't playing at his pace on his serve b/c I would sometimes step back when the cramps came. Give me a break! This was obviously in a competitive tournament...But after the match, I collapsed and couldn't walk for the rest of the night. Ate tons of bananas and drank tons of fluids (an IV would have helped) and was generally good to go the next day. Drink fluids, get some rest, stay inside, and then (gradually) get in shape! Hope you feel better quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Play without a shirt so you can sweat more, heehee. Probably wouldn't do much, but decreasing the weight of clothing/increasing ventilation does help. Drinking lots of fluids and eating bananas was wise, and that's all you could really expect to do. Just exerting yourself so much in such hot and humid conditions when your body wasn't ready for it caused the ailment, I'd expect.

I've had cramps once (also during a tennis match; mostly in my calves), and hope to never replicate that again. Possibly the most pain I've felt in my life so I can sympathize with you. The pain would come and go (which almost made it worse since it would come out of nowhere when I wasn't expecting it during a point as opposed to a constant pain), and I was super close to winning a tight long match, so I actually finished the match (and won!). I especially wanted to finish b/c I was playing the biggest jerk ever - he was complaining that I wasn't playing at his pace on his serve b/c I would sometimes step back when the cramps came. Give me a break! This was obviously in a competitive tournament...But after the match, I collapsed and couldn't walk for the rest of the night. Ate tons of bananas and drank tons of fluids (an IV would have helped) and was generally good to go the next day. Drink fluids, get some rest, stay inside, and then (gradually) get in shape! Hope you feel better quickly!
    I can relate to playing a few jerks. A big part of my game is rushing to the net. I win a lot of points there. When my calves started locking up, I lost the key part of my game. Had to stay on the baseline and just exchange strokes.

TOTALLY AGREE with you on the pain. When I got back to my place, I went to get off the couch to shower. The calf locked up and I jerked. When I did, my arms, right hamstring and even shoulder muscles all locked and knotted up. I admit it. I screamed. It was horrible pain and I nearly blacked out (tunnel vison for a second). The phone was a few feet away but I couldn't reach it. Was going to call a paramedic to get an IV. I was worried about my heart locking up. Lasted for about 20 minutes.

Horrible. Horrible.

-EJ

Oh. Not to mention at one point in the match I dove for the ball and managed to get my racquet on it. It hit the tape but did not go over. Almost a great shot, but alas, no. Anyway, when I dove, I landed on my left nipple and skidded an inch or so. Hence, I have a scratched up, bloody left nipple.

-EarlJam

When I played tennis in high school, we did a lot of training in short intervals. The idea, which I saw in Tennis Magazine, is that you train your body to handle the short spurts of energy that you use in tennis. We did things like: sprint for 30 seconds - walk for 30 seconds; go as fast as you can on a stationary bike for 30 seconds, then go slow for 15 seconds. For me as a player, it wasn't a huge help because I have a style where I counter and wait for my opponent to make a mistake in long points. However, if you're an aggressive player, this training should help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    When I played tennis in high school, we did a lot of training in short intervals. The idea, which I saw in Tennis Magazine, is that you train your body to handle the short spurts of energy that you use in tennis. We did things like: sprint for 30 seconds - walk for 30 seconds; go as fast as you can on a stationary bike for 30 seconds, then go slow for 15 seconds. For me as a player, it wasn't a huge help because I have a style where I counter and wait for my opponent to make a mistake in long points. However, if you're an aggressive player, this training should help you out.
    I think that's a great way to exercise. I kept telling myself, "you don't need to run all the time. Conserve for short bursts." But the match just went so long.

The first set (I won 6-4) went quickly because I could play MY game (at the net - to the "serve and volley" point mentioned earlier). But dude started hitting a lot of deep balls, keeping me on the baseline, and as I tired, my approach shots became less accurate. Result? Your game. Back and forth with lots of ground strokes and running around. We didn't make many unforced errors, so we had some ridiculously long rallies, which worked to my demise. He was in better shape. Remember, I'm still getting in cardio shape from my torn Achilles.

UGADevil, we should play sometime.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Played a three-hour+ tennis match on Saturday. Ninety degrees. We played on concrete.

Afterwards, got chills, a bit disoriented (dizziness and a few seconds of tunnel vision), and things started "locking up" (cramps). Calves, hamstrings, feet, arms, sholder, even left side of abs and fingers. The pain was excruciating. Heart was racing, sweating.

No more hot afternoon tennis for EarlJam, who is still working to get in shape after a 10-month hiatus from exercise. Games from this point forward will be played at night or in the morning.

Question: What, besides not playing when it's so dang hot, could be done to help prevent this? I ate bananas and drank lots of water and Gatorade before and during the match.

My noon hoops game is outside. In the summer, we do play when the heat index is 105+ (pretty much any 90+ degree day in Raleigh). I find that to prevent heat exhaustion, a carb-rich meal ~90 minutes before playing works best to stave off the problem (in addition to proper hydration).

a late morning bowl of cereal or 2 pop-tarts does the trick. In my younger days (i.e. faster metabolism), I would hit Bojangle's about 2 1/2 hours prior to playing. If I don't eat the carbs, I will get the tunnel vision and feel light headed -- even if I drink throughout the game. When I eat, there is never an issue (knock on plastic).

Bananas are great, but also have some watermelon. It is a good source of potassium, sugars and moisture. Also, take a salt pill or two. Cramps suck - just ask any woman...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Oh. Not to mention at one point in the match I dove for the ball and managed to get my racquet on it. It hit the tape but did not go over. Almost a great shot, but alas, no. Anyway, when I dove, I landed on my left nipple and skidded an inch or so. Hence, I have a scratched up, bloody left nipple.

-EarlJam
    You are too old to be diving unless it's on grass.

Work up to it. Don't wait till the summer. I once showed up at the Piedmont courts and the pro said it was 105 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    You are too old to be diving unless it's on grass.
    EarlJam will dive on chards of glass covered in rubbing alcohol and beaver urine if needed in the ring of competiton!

EarlJam will dive on chards of glass covered in rubbing alcohol and beaver urine if needed in the ring of competition!
    I'm impressed! Coach K would be too, although he'd probably think you were pretty stupid for doing it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

You can also try potassium pills.You really have to eat a lot of bannanas to help if you're just using them on the day of the games.

I'm on medication that depletes potassium, so I include all of those good foods such as bananas, oranges, broccoli, etc. that contain dietary potassium in my daily diet. I understand that potassium pills can be risky. The best way to avoid heat exhaustion is to pay attention to what your body is telling you. If you are engaged in strenuous activity, and sweating profusely, and you suddenly stop sweating, take immediate action to cool down. Do not continue the activity. It has happened to me on a couple of occasions, and I first noticed it when my forehead got very dry. I have been told that that is the first signal that your body gives you. I have also been told that the condition can be cumulative over multiple days if you continue the activity without re-hydrating.

How much is "lots of water and Gatorade"? When I play ultimate in NC in the summer, I frequently drink a gallon of water in a 2-3 hour session... There have been times when I've returned, even after drinking a gallon of water, 4 pounds lighter than when I left (1 gallon = 8 lbs), meaning that I'm stll .5ish gallons short... admittedly I sweat a LOT, but it is still worth making sure that what you think of as lots is actually enough.

Quote Originally Posted by xenic View Post
    How much is "lots of water and Gatorade"? When I play ultimate in NC in the summer, I frequently drink a gallon of water in a 2-3 hour session... There have been times when I've returned, even after drinking a gallon of water, 4 pounds lighter than when I left (1 gallon = 8 lbs), meaning that I'm stll .5ish gallons short... admittedly I sweat a LOT, but it is still worth making sure that what you think of as lots is actually enough.
    Drinking "TONS OF WATER" is not the right answer. Check out HBO's Real Sports for a story about a freelance writer (who happens to be a Dukie) that over hydrated during the Puerto Rico marathon. She went into a severe coma and nearly died.

The ideal hydration strategy is to make sure you replenish what you sweat -- no more, no less.