Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

watching hockey for the first time

I am sort of watching hockey for the first time ever with these finals - the Redwings vs the Penguins. I HAVE NEVER WATCHED HOCKEY BEFORE. But this is pretty damn good on tv. Even if the Redwings are 3-1 over our Penguins. Go Pittsburgh! We believe!

OK so I only watch the last guater (i'm sorry the last third - hockey doesn't have quarters? what's up with that?) but I am surprising myself that I am actually watching hockey.
    ~rthomas

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I am sort of watching hockey for the first time ever with these finals - the Redwings vs the Penguins. I HAVE NEVER WATCHED HOCKEY BEFORE. But this is pretty damn good on tv. Even if the Redwings are 3-1 over our Penguins. Go Pittsburgh! We believe!

OK so I only watch the last guater (i'm sorry the last third - hockey doesn't have quarters? what's up with that?) but I am surprising myself that I am actually watching hockey.
    It isn't the 'last third'. Hockey has periods. Three of them (unless the game goes to overtime). So you watched the third period.

You should watch more hockey...the Stanley Cup playoffs is among my favorite events to watch...just great intensity. Plus, hockey looks excellent in HD (if you have it). The regular season is great as well, but not nearly as intense as the playoffs.

Hopefully my Red Wings can end it tomorrow at home. GO WINGS!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

The ONLY reason that hockey isn't huge is because it's not made for TV, and in some cases, it's almost set up so that it's impossible to enjoy the game (other than the drama involved in any sport) on TV. Get yourself to a game in person next season.

But you're right, the Stanley Cup finals, and just playoff hockey in general, is amazing.

i
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    The ONLY reason that hockey isn't huge is because it's not made for TV, and in some cases, it's almost set up so that it's impossible to enjoy the game (other than the drama involved in any sport) on TV. Get yourself to a game in person next season.
    Sorry, but this simply isn't the case - and it certainly isn't "set up so that it's impossible to enjoy the game . . . on TV".

In my experience American broadcasters do not do a very good job of broadcasting hockey (most of them actually do a very poor job) therefore the game loses something when you watch an American broadcast. If you are ever in Canada, or have any access to the CBC (maybe on the web?), try watching their Saturday night broadcast (known as Hockey Night in Canada) as it simply can't be beat. Actually, almost all Canadian broadcasters do hockey very very well. I don't know why American broadcasters do such a poor job (even in some Original Six cities). Why can't they just hire a Canadian producer and give him control? That would solve their problem right away.

Going to a game in person is, of course, the best way to watch almost any sporting event but hockey can still be enjoyed just as much when watched on TV. Heck, sometimes it is more fun to watch a game in a bar than it is to go to it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    It isn't the 'last third'. Hockey has periods. Three of them (unless the game goes to overtime). So you watched the third period.
    I think he realized that. And yes, he was watching the last third of the game, so he wasn't in error.

YAWwwnnnn... BillyBreen : baseball :: Hc5duke : hockey

The three periods all have equal number of minutes so each would be a one third.
    ~rthomas

Wink One more thing

The three periods all have equal number of minutes so each would be a one third.
    Just remember that the time between the periods is called "intermission," not halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Just remember that the time between the periods is called "intermission," not halftime.
    That's too bureacratic. They should be called "halftimes" anyway - then the 3rd period would be called "the third half of the game"... ;-)

Yeah, I know how long a period is in hockey (did you seriously just try to tell a Canadian how long a period is in an NHL game?!?). My point was that nobody calls it the 'last third' or refers to the last third of a game. Ever. If you are trying to tell someone that was the only part of the game you watched, you say that you watched the third period.

Thumbs up Message to rthomas

And whatever you do, you simply must watch more Don Cherry, LIVE!!

And when you do, wear your sunglasses!

Yeah, I know how long a period is in hockey (did you seriously just try to tell a Canadian how long a period is in an NHL game?!?). My point was that nobody calls it the 'last third' or refers to the last third of a game. Ever. If you are trying to tell someone that was the only part of the game you watched, you say that you watched the third period.
    I think it's cool to say "hey, kids, gather 'round the tv and watch the last third." Or, I do like "the third half".

Go Pens!
    ~rthomas

So today we learned that hockey is better in Canada.
    That Canadians are the only good hockey announcers.
    Hockey is the only sport that is better when watched from a TV.
    Also, never use thirds.

I've been to a couple hockey games myself, and they weren't as bad as I thought they would be. The popcorn was good, and my friend got us great seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Cell-R View Post
    So today we learned that hockey is better in Canada.
    Well it is our sport.

That Canadians are the only good hockey announcers.
    Not necessarily announcers as I've heard some good American ones. I am talking about the production of the broadcast. We just have better camera operators, producers, etc. Probably comes more from familiarity and experience working hockey games than anything else.

Hockey is the only sport that is better when watched from a TV.
    I guess you missed the part where I said "sometimes". Depending on the atmosphere in a particular arena it can sometimes be better watching a game in a bar.

Also, never use thirds.
    Never. Ever. If you said that up here whoever you were talking to would convulse with laughter.

Well it is our sport.
    This might be true, but you have to go back to 1992-1993 to find the last Canadian team that won the Stanley Cup (Montreal over L.A.). Since then, the teams that have won are N.Y. Rangers, Detroit, Colorado, Anaheim, New Jersey, Dallas, Tampa Bay, and Carolina.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Question

Is there a limit to the number of sudden death OTs? At some point do they go to a shootout, like they do in soccer?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Is there a limit to the number of sudden death OTs? At some point do they go to a shootout, like they do in soccer?
    Not in playoff hockey, and THAT is a beautiful thing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtim...overtime_games

Thanks for the answer. And now the Penguins have won, so I can think about getting ready for bed. These guys have to be exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    This might be true, but you have to go back to 1992-1993 to find the last Canadian team that won the Stanley Cup (Montreal over L.A.). Since then, the teams that have won are N.Y. Rangers, Detroit, Colorado, Anaheim, New Jersey, Dallas, Tampa Bay, and Carolina.
    They may be based in the US but check the nationalities of the players on those teams and I'd wager that 75% (most likely more) were Canadian.