Kurt Rambis Appreciation Thread

Got my Sports Illustrated today - headline: The Greatest Rivalry Returns.

It's a great issue, and in it, I noticed a photo of Kurt Rambis. I had totally forgotten about him, but as a young, sensual Celtics fan, I can clearly remember liking Kurt Rambis.

The 'stache; the spazo glasses; what a guy. WHAT A GUY!

But again, I was young, smooth and oiled down. I'd like to hear more from people more in the know about Rambis. Was he the Laker version of Bill Lambier?

Come on folks. LET'S TALK RAMBIS! What is the Rambis legacy? Let' us "Rambis On!"

-First syllable Earl; last syllable Jam.

I had no idea who this guy was (I know, I know, but I hate the NBA...), so I checked him out on Wikipedia. He was the basketball coach on the tv show, 7th Heaven! Now that's worth appreciating...

And I confess, when I first saw the thread, I thought EJ had sorely misspelled "Harold Ramis," also appreciation worthy.

Rambis was/is the missing link...

Rambis was called Clark Kent on the floor, obviously because of the weird glasses (some guys did have prescription goggles- the Rambis look was not necessary). Perhaps he earned the name also because his game was so ordinary, not Superman-like.

Remember Danny Ferry's putback layup against Kansas in '86? That's about Rambis' entire offensive skill set right there. But when you have Magic, Worthy, Kareem, and Cooper/Scott, what else do you really need?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Come on folks. LET'S TALK RAMBIS! What is the Rambis legacy? Let' us "Rambis On!"

-First syllable Earl; last syllable Jam.
    Getting clotheslined by Kevin McHale in Game Four of the '84 World Championship.

I spent last night watching '80s Celtics/Lakers games on ESPN Classic. They NEED to bring back that theme music. Best sports theme music ever. OK, second best, after "Bugler's Dream" for the Olympics.

When the Charlotte Hornets acquired Rambis toward the twilight if his career I remember thinking that we had just gotten our first superstar...other than Kelly Tripuka maybe. He was a pretty big hit here, mainly because we were a startup team and he can from the big boys out west. Loved the hair and goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    When the Charlotte Hornets acquired Rambis toward the twilight if his career I remember thinking that we had just gotten our first superstar...other than Kelly Tripuka maybe. He was a pretty big hit here, mainly because we were a startup team and he can from the big boys out west. Loved the hair and goggles.
    I wonder if they ever had a "Kurt Rambis Glasses Give-Away" night?

Just take those infamous plastic big nose/glasses thingies and remove the big nose. Put some masking tape in the middle and there you go.

Also, I'd like to see a spoof on the movie "Rambo," only making it, "Rambis." Something cool could be done there.

I wonder what Kurt Rambis is doing right this very second. Let me channel him.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhm!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhm!

There he is. Kurt Rambis is on beach in Florida, eating a hoagie.

-EarlJam

funny you should mention this, I just recently found this page, like last week. With an anti-McHale link and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I wonder what Kurt Rambis is doing right this very second. Let me channel him.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhm!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhm!

There he is. Kurt Rambis is on beach in Florida, eating a hoagie.

-EarlJam
    I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. Methinks he's somewhere in the Boston area at the moment. You need to re-channel your channeling - it's pathetic.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. Methinks he's somewhere in the Boston area at the moment. You need to re-channel your channeling - it's pathetic.
    Well, NOW he's in a long lost lighthouse in Boston eating Beef-A-Roni with his favorite mayonnaise while sharpening his axe!

-EarlJam

P.S. Oh snap. Revision! Just read your link. He's an assistant coach? Who knew? Cool. By the way, I'm just LOVING this series. And loving all the Larry and Magic stuff. I feel like I'm in my 20s again!

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    funny you should mention this, I just recently found this page, like last week. With an anti-McHale link and everything.
    More to come on this, but THANK YOU hc5Duke for this. My God, what a find! This is hilarious! See that photo of him in college with the leisure suit?

AWESOME!

-EJ

Very little about the NBA Finals at DBR. Perhaps because of the no Duke ties. I watch my first complete NBA game last night. I prefer college...

I didn't know until I read those links that Kurt Rambis grew up in Cupertino and went to college at Santa Clara University. I only knew him from the NBA. He's a local boy! I wonder if his folks still live in Cupertino.