Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There was a thread about the status of Georgia's program back during football season. My point in that thread was that no team's fans have a more inflated view of their place in the college football hierarchy than Georgia's. This was backed up with the reality that any program with one true national title to its name shouldn't be talked about in the same breath as USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Miami, etc. And, something that I don't think the Georgia fans in that thread realized, the response from the Bulldog faithful only backed up the argument.

Now, I think almost equally as important as on-field success is the perception or name-recognition of a program. This is something that Georgia struggles with (they haven't played a regular season outside of their region since LBJ was President) but are apparently trying to fix. Playing in more prominent OOC games (like @ASU this year) will help the status of that program and Richt will keep their on-field performance at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    I'm glad they are finally playing someone, this will just show why they shouldn't be in the BCS championship game.

Little something I found.
    "Ohio State played only three teams ranked in the final top 25. Michigan, at No. 18, was its highest-ranked regular-season opponent. Yet the Buckeyes ended the regular season No. 1 in both polls based on their inflated 11-1 record."
    Sweet. I like how you conveniently left out the fact that the only reason OSU ended up #1 was because the seven different teams ahead of us all lost in the span of 3 weeks.

That sounds like a pretty important fact; but I realize for the purposes of your terrible argument, it's just more convenient to ignore the other facts.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    For all the talk of Florida and LSU, those schools have crystal balls in their trophy case. For all the talk of Florida and LSU, both have more BCS appearances than Georgia. Looking at the SEC hierarchy, I think UGA is close to UF and LSU, but they're not there yet.
    The SEC hierarchy? I'm about to give up and just put this in the category of being pointless (yet I post on an internet message board?). Part of it is a bias that ACC fans seem to have that they are better at everything and that the SEC is just a group of dumb rednecks. Funny thing is, I'm much more of an ACC basketball fan than SEC football fan. That's fine...we'll just play stupid and talk bad about you at church and say bless your heart.

Florida and LSU do have national championships in the past few years, but give it up with SEC dominance. If we're going to say "facts are facts", look up the SEC numbers. Since Mark Richt has come to Athens, I'm pretty sure he has the highest conference winning percentage of anyone in the SEC. We can disagree about whether or not UGA is a perennial contender, that's fine. And we can decide that UGA has the most inflated perception of themselves of all time...no idea who was sampled in that poll. But, as for SEC success, Georgia wins games - usually more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    The SEC hierarchy? I'm about to give up and just put this in the category of being pointless (yet I post on an internet message board?). Part of it is a bias that ACC fans seem to have that they are better at everything and that the SEC is just a group of dumb rednecks. Funny thing is, I'm much more of an ACC basketball fan than SEC football fan. That's fine...we'll just play stupid and talk bad about you at church and say bless your heart.

Florida and LSU do have national championships in the past few years, but give it up with SEC dominance. If we're going to say "facts are facts", look up the SEC numbers. Since Mark Richt has come to Athens, I'm pretty sure he has the highest conference winning percentage of anyone in the SEC. We can disagree about whether or not UGA is a perennial contender, that's fine. And we can decide that UGA has the most inflated perception of themselves of all time...no idea who was sampled in that poll. But, as for SEC success, Georgia wins games - usually more than anyone else.
    All I'm saying is that when you look at the SEC in the BCS era, Florida and LSU have to be looked at as the top dogs (no pun intended). 3 different SEC teams have won the BCS championship in 10 years of the BCS and Georgia is not on that list. I have great respect for Georgia as a program and they'll be as good as anyone in America this season. But if you want to put yourselves in the same breath as Florida and LSU (and even Tennessee for that matter), then do what they've done; win it all.

While Richt might have the highest conference winning percentage, what does have to show for it? 3 Sugar Bowl appearances highlighted by an embarrassing loss to WVU and a win over Hawaii? As an Ohio State fan, I know firsthand how conference success is great but doesn't ultimately get you remembered. In 2008, OSU has a chance to be the first Big 10 school ever to win 3 straight outright conference titles. Yet all OSU fans (and everyone else) will remember from these past 2 seasons is that the crystal ball never made it back to Columbus. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    Sweet. I like how you conveniently left out the fact that the only reason OSU ended up #1 was because the seven different teams ahead of us all lost in the span of 3 weeks.

That sounds like a pretty important fact; but I realize for the purposes of your terrible argument, it's just more convenient to ignore the other facts.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.
    What does this even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    What does this even mean?
    Ohio State lost to Illinois and was dropped to #8 in America. In the next 3 weeks, the seven teams in front of us lost, putting OSU back into the NCG. To say OSU didn't deserve to be there when the only reason they got there is because the seven teams in front of them proved they didn't deserve to be there is just sheer stupidity. Stupidity that fits right in with every other comment you've made in this thread.

Despite you going on and on about OSU's schedule (which is tougher than or as tough as any other elite CFB program year in/year out) and how we're so undeserving, you conveniently ignore the overriding reason OSU was even in the NCG! Probably because doing so would expose your argument for what it is: awful.