Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I agree

I'm of the opinion that 2008-2009 is going to be an exciting ride and I intend to sitback and enjoy it![/QUOTE]

I think this should be Duke's most complete team in years, so I'm really looking forward to next season. They should be great to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    But don't you expect Gerald to leave after this season? And if so, does that change your mind? It does mine - but it also depends on our haul in the '09 recruiting class. If we land someone who is capable of starting and earning all-ACC honors, like Kenny Boynton, then perhaps we could expect a Final Four. At this point it's just too tough to say whether the 08/09 or 09/10 team will be better, because we don't know the fate of Singler, Henderson, McDonald, and Boynton.
    You bring up a great point. Call me naive, but I think Henderson will stay four years. He seems to love Duke and I think he realizes that the 09-10 team has a great shot at winning it all. And even though it didn't stop Mike Dunleavy, the reality is that with a father who played in the NBA, there's no real financial incentive for Henderson to leave.

Is there a chance that this might be Gerald's last year at Duke? Certainly; especially if he has the year we all think he can. But between the two choices, I'd put my money on him coming back for his senior year. Take the June '08 prediction (about a June '09 decision) for whatever it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The first question mark for next season's team is point guard performance. Paulus is unquestionably a great shooter, but we are going to need Nolan Smith to play major minutes at the point against teams with backcourt speed in order to stop dribble penetration. DeMarcus Nelson is no longer available to defend our opponents point guard. If Paulus and Smith combined can provide consistent play at the point, on both ends of the court, we will be a tough match-up.
    I don't really know what you mean by "question mark." We know exactly what we are getting out of our starting point guard play. Consistently great three point shooter who doesn't turn the ball over much... pass first guard who is a step slow on defense.. scrappy player... heart of the team... clutch shooter... not a slasher or finisher in the lane.

Now, Smith might be somewhat of a question mark. The jump from Freshman year to Sophomore year is always a big one. We don't really know in what ways he will improve or remain deficient...

The upcoming team reminds me a bit of Johnny Ds senior year; a good team returning most of its players with some 6-8 white boys on the front line , a quick 6-4-6-5 player named Henderson at the wing, coming in ranked maybe 3 or 4 with Carolina the likely number one. As we remember, that team went on to go 37-2 and play for the national championship. This team isn't as quick or good in the backcourt, but has more depth. Could go a long ways if they play well.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    The upcoming team reminds me a bit of Johnny Ds senior year; a good team returning most of its players with some 6-8 white boys on the front line , a quick 6-4-6-5 player named Henderson at the wing, coming in ranked maybe 3 or 4 with Carolina the likely number one. As we remember, that team went on to go 37-2 and play for the national championship. This team isn't as quick or good in the backcourt, but has more depth. Could go a long ways if they play well.
    The '86 team wins the NC with one of today's reserve wings.

The first question mark for next season's team is point guard performance. Paulus is unquestionably a great shooter, but we are going to need Nolan Smith to play major minutes at the point against teams with backcourt speed in order to stop dribble penetration. DeMarcus Nelson is no longer available to defend our opponents point guard. If Paulus and Smith combined can provide consistent play at the point, on both ends of the court, we will be a tough match-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I don't really know what you mean by "question mark." We know exactly what we are getting out of our starting point guard play. Consistently great three point shooter who doesn't turn the ball over much... pass first guard who is a step slow on defense.. scrappy player... heart of the team... clutch shooter... not a slasher or finisher in the lane.

Now, Smith might be somewhat of a question mark. The jump from Freshman year to Sophomore year is always a big one. We don't really know in what ways he will improve or remain deficient...
    What I mean by "question mark" is who is going to guard our opponents speedy point guard when Paulus is on the court. For the last couple of years, that job belonged to DeMarcus Nelson. How is the playing time going to be split between Paulus and Smith? Will Nolan Smith make a huge jump in performance such as Gerald Henderson did between his freshman and sophomore seasons? Those are legitimate questions in my mind.

Paulus and Smith both bring many assets onto the court and how those assets are utilized will impact the season. IMO, with Nelson graduated, Nolan Smith is going to have to play major minutes in order for Duke to achieve success defensively. However, with Paulus possessing that great stroke from behind the 3-point line, he is going to have to play major minutes in order for Duke to achieve success in the 3-point oriented offense.
    Bob Green

Paulus and Smith both bring many assets onto the court and how those assets are utilized will impact the season. IMO, with Nelson graduated, Nolan Smith is going to have to play major minutes in order for Duke to achieve success defensively. However, with Paulus possessing that great stroke from behind the 3-point line, he is going to have to play major minutes in order for Duke to achieve success in the 3-point oriented offense.
    To say nothing of Nolan's penetration abilities, which are also helpful in the drive-and-kick, 3-point oriented offense.

I've made my position pretty clear (I think or at least want Nolan starting by February) what's your opinion, Bob? Do you think they split time, see some time together, does greg become a 6th man?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    To say nothing of Nolan's penetration abilities, which are also helpful in the drive-and-kick, 3-point oriented offense.

I've made my position pretty clear (I think or at least want Nolan starting by February) what's your opinion, Bob? Do you think they split time, see some time together, does greg become a 6th man?
    I believe they will split time at the point. Paulus' minutes will be less than last season and Smith's minutes will be more. IMO, Paulus is the starter at the beginning of the season and Smith is the 6th man, but by tournament time Smith will take over the starting job with Paulus moving into the 6th man role.
    Bob Green

I believe they will split time at the point. Paulus' minutes will be less than last season and Smith's minutes will be more. IMO, Paulus is the starter at the beginning of the season and Smith is the 6th man, but by tournament time Smith will take over the starting job with Paulus moving into the 6th man role.
    Looks like we see eye-to-eye on more than one thing today

I dont know. I kind of hope that happens but just dont see Coach K putting a 4 year starter to being a 6th man. They both have good and bad things about their game.

Bob, You have made quite a few predictions. I believe you said Olek will be a big part of next years team(or was that someone else?), Zoubek will average around 12 PPG, and Nolan will take over the starting PG spot. Ohh and I believe you said some good things about Elliot Williams? Im just curious as to why you feel these things will happen. Hope you are right !

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post
    I dont know. I kind of hope that happens but just dont see Coach K putting a 4 year starter to being a 6th man. They both have good and bad things about their game.

Bob, You have made quite a few predictions. I believe you said Olek will be a big part of next years team(or was that someone else?), Zoubek will average around 12 PPG, and Nolan will take over the starting PG spot. Ohh and I believe you said some good things about Elliot Williams? Im just curious as to why you feel these things will happen. Hope you are right !
    sorry, but zoubek will NOT average 12 PPG.
    ill be very surprise if he averages 8 PPG and 8 RPG has to be a must.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post

I make these predictions for a couple of reasons. First, and foremost, because I believe them. Second, because it is the off-season and I love to introduce any topic that generates discussion. Now, in no particular order:

1. Elliot Williams - a big guard (6-4) with explosiveness. He will play significant minutes off the bench. I read many articles about his performance in high school and he expressed pride in his defensive abilities.

2. Nolan Smith - the guy was pretty impressive as a freshman despite some inconsistent performance. His inconsistency can be directly related to injuries. Nolan needs to play significant minutes at the point in order for Duke to neutralize the oppositions point guard. He should move into a starting role by tournament time.

3. Olek Czyz - everyone, Duke fans and Duke haters, loves to rant about Duke's lack of athleticism. Czyz is raw but athletic. He will play at least 10 minutes per game as a freshman because he can make free throws.

4. Brian Zoubek - I've predicted 12-14 ppg in 20-25 mpg for the big guy. This is the only prediction where I think I've possibly crawled out on a limb. However, if Zoubek can get/stay healthy he has the potential to explode. He is our only true back-to-the-basket post player.

5. Miles Plumlee - a big unknown, but the scouting reports I've read say he is strong and talented on both ends of the court.

6. Singler/Henderson/Scheyer/Paulus - the nucleus around which all these other events will revolve. These four guys will be the core of the team.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 06-07-2008 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    sorry, but zoubek will NOT average 12 PPG.
    I'm interested in hearing your rationale. Zoubek has shown flashes of ability. He has been hurt. He is still growing into a very big body (7-1, 265). If Zoubek can achieve a solid level of health and maintain it, I believe 12-14 ppg in 20-25 mpg is a realistic prediction.

The first caveat is obviously health. The second caveat is free throw shooting. For Zoubek to produce the numbers I am predicting, he must knock down the free ones.
    Bob Green

I'm interested in hearing your rationale. Zoubek has shown flashes of ability. He has been hurt. He is still growing into a very big body (7-1, 265). If Zoubek can achieve a solid level of health and maintain it, I believe 12-14 ppg in 20-25 mpg is a realistic prediction.

The first caveat is obviously health. The second caveat is free throw shooting. For Zoubek to produce the numbers I am predicting, he must knock down the free ones.
    I agree with the other poster that Zoubek will be very unlikely to score 12-14 points per game. The main reason I say this is because I have trouble seeing him being able to improve his quickness and balance enough to be consistently useful on both ends of the floor. This is largely due to the fact that he is spending half of this summer (when guys do most of their improving) recovering from another surgery. I just don't see him having enough time to work on the physical aspects that will allow him to stay on the court enough to log 20-25 minutes and score 12-14 points per game.

Averaging 12-14 points is a pretty tough task, especially on a guard-oriented team like ours, and especially if you think Czyz and Plumlee will play a significant role as well (because those guys would be competing with Zoubek and Thomas for minutes). That being said, I'd LOVE for Zoubek to prove me wrong on this. If he could make himself a consistent impact presence in the paint, that would really help our versatility and improve our chances of winning a title.

I'd probably accept a combined 14 ppg from Zoubek, Thomas, Czyz, and Plumlee.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'd probably accept a combined 14 ppg from Zoubek, Thomas, Czyz, and Plumlee.
    I hope we get more than that from those four guys combined. Last year, when the "5" spot was much maligned for lacking a consistent presence, we got 13.1 points per game from Zoubek, Thomas, McClure, and King at the spot (after accounting for games not played by Thomas, Zoubek, and McClure. If we only get 14 ppg from the "5" spot, then we have pretty much the same issue as last year.

The 5 spot

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I hope we get more than that from those four guys combined. Last year, when the "5" spot was much maligned for lacking a consistent presence, we got 13.1 points per game from Zoubek, Thomas, McClure, and King at the spot (after accounting for games not played by Thomas, Zoubek, and McClure. If we only get 14 ppg from the "5" spot, then we have pretty much the same issue as last year.
    I am with Jim on this one. If we can get >10ppg and >10rpg out of our "5" spot, plus 10-15 PF (or more) and a few rejects, then I think we will be fine. Think about 15ppg each from GH, JS and KS, then add 10ppg each from GP and NS plus your hypothetical (wishful? actual?) 14ppg from the "center" position, you have 79 ppg. I have not even added any ppg from EW, DM or MP. What do you think these 3 guys total will be? 5ppg? 10ppg? That brings us up to 85-90ppg. We should win a lot of games with that offense. Of course, we can't start giving up 80-85 ppg either as we did at the end of the 06/07 season.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I am with Jim on this one. If we can get >10ppg and >10rpg out of our "5" spot, plus 10-15 PF (or more) and a few rejects, then I think we will be fine. Think about 15ppg each from GH, JS and KS, then add 10ppg each from GP and NS plus your hypothetical (wishful? actual?) 14ppg from the "center" position, you have 79 ppg. I have not even added any ppg from EW, DM or MP. What do you think these 3 guys total will be? 5ppg? 10ppg? That brings us up to 85-90ppg. We should win a lot of games with that offense. Of course, we can't start giving up 80-85 ppg either as we did at the end of the 06/07 season.
    I would be surprised if our team PPG doesn't increase by 3-6 next year. I'm not ready to predict the allocation thereof, but I think having multiple seasoned scorers will be evident in the box scores next year.

I don't think lack of scoring from the 5 last year was as much a problem as lack of rebounding and tough interior D.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I don't think lack of scoring from the 5 last year was as much a problem as lack of rebounding and tough interior D.
    Still miss Shelden, eh Jim . (don't we all miss Shelden)