Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I know that Rick Barry doesn't get any love on this forum, but my vote for the best ever team is the 1974-75 GS Warriors. At the time, people didn't know anything about any player except Rick Barry. But they played 10 players plus Barry, and wiped out the highly favored Baltimore team in four straight in the championship game.
    Well, it may not the best team ever, but golly they were sure good, and came together at the most appropriate time.
    It's a good thing you qualified that, given that the 74-75 Warriors were a 48-34 team that outscored its opponents by 3 points a game. And they didn't exactly "wipe out" the Bullets - they won by 6, 1, 8, and 1. It's kind of like saying that the '83 Wolfpack is the best team ever because they beat a highly favored Houston team.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I agree that Wilt apparently set records on more than just the BB court. 100 points < 10,000 women. I am amazed that he could stagger onto the court.
    Now, I have no idea how many women JJ had while at Duke (probably > 0, <10,000), but I would bet that if the team (ie, Coach K) wanted it to happen, JJ could have scored 100 points in some walkover game. But, other than setting a record, what would be the point?
    I believe that Wilt had an interest in setting personal records (I recall him saying, near the end of his career, that he was focused on setting a FG % record that could never be beaten).
    What a horrible thing for the team that he wanted to make as high a percentage of his shots as possible. Given that he took 22.5 shots a game over the course of his career, it seems unlikely that he was passing up tough shots so he could only make easy ones. Of course, even if he did, it's unclear how that hurt the team.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    It's a good thing you qualified that, given that the 74-75 Warriors were a 48-34 team that outscored its opponents by 3 points a game. And they didn't exactly "wipe out" the Bullets - they won by 6, 1, 8, and 1. It's kind of like saying that the '83 Wolfpack is the best team ever because they beat a highly favored Houston team.
    But, against all the oddsmakers, they still won it all in four! Pretty good in my book. I would say they took the Baltimore team and wiped the floor with them. If you are from Baltimore, I am sorry.

What a horrible thing for the team that he wanted to make as high a percentage of his shots as possible. Given that he took 22.5 shots a game over the course of his career, it seems unlikely that he was passing up tough shots so he could only make easy ones. Of course, even if he did, it's unclear how that hurt the team.
    Right - the heck with the team, lets set a few personal records for me! That is not the kind of guy I want on my team.

Right - the heck with the team, lets set a few personal records for me! That is not the kind of guy I want on my team.
    You seem to presume that the two are mutually exclusive. If you can establish how a player trying to set the record for the best field goal percentage all while taking 22.5 shots a game is detrimental to his team, I'd love to hear it.

But, against all the oddsmakers, they still won it all in four! Pretty good in my book. I would say they took the Baltimore team and wiped the floor with them. If you are from Baltimore, I am sorry.
    I'll give you pretty good. Any team that wins a championship series in 4 games (even if its 4 close games) is pretty good. Pulling best ever from that is a stretch. And saying that 4 close games is "wiping the floor" is similarly a stretch. And no, I'm not from Baltimore.

Of course, since that was a personal record, he didn't care about his team. No true team player EVERY wants to hold a record. I recall that JJ and Hurley have mentioned hundreds of times that their biggest regret at Duke was their personal accomplishments. I remember Hurley said something like... "I was just trying get out of those last few games with a bunch of turnovers and without an assist. I hate it that I was the all time assist leader... if anyone asks, tell them it wasn't me, it was some other guy." just kidding

In all seriousness, there is definitely some sentiment out there that think Wilt cared MORE about his stats than team wins. Personally, I am guessing that since the only reason people give to say he wasn't the best all time is that he didn't win more titles, that he would have traded a few points or rebounds for more titles. But hey, like I said before, we will never know, right?

Ahead Of His Time

Quote Originally Posted by bhd28 View Post
    Of course, since that was a personal record, he didn't care about his team. No true team player EVERY wants to hold a record. I recall that JJ and Hurley have mentioned hundreds of times that their biggest regret at Duke was their personal accomplishments. I remember Hurley said something like... "I was just trying get out of those last few games with a bunch of turnovers and without an assist. I hate it that I was the all time assist leader... if anyone asks, tell them it wasn't me, it was some other guy." just kidding

In all seriousness, there is definitely some sentiment out there that think Wilt cared MORE about his stats than team wins. Personally, I am guessing that since the only reason people give to say he wasn't the best all time is that he didn't win more titles, that he would have traded a few points or rebounds for more titles. But hey, like I said before, we will never know, right?

Without going back and watching it again, towards the end Wilt said something like he was too arrogant, proud, brash, me first or whatever before it was acceptable. I don't like Ali, but his brash style and mouth will be remembered just as much if not more so than what he did in the ring. Now days basketball players from middle school to the NBA are typically me first ball hogs who practice dunking and three pointers with little focus on the areas between. Sure thats a generalization, I just think it's odd that todays world would cast a negative shadow on Wilt for being arrogant. When that's what it seems every athlete is in every sport male and female. I have no doubt Russell played for the love of the game and to win, you don't toss your cookies before every game if you're in it for the stats, chicks or money. But there has never been a bigger ego on the planet than Michael Jordan and most people look upon him in awe.

Just curious if someone could answer a quick question though. You guys keep talking about the Rick Barry Warriors team that won the championship in the 70's. Was Jeff Mulins on that team? (The last and only other Duke player to ever win an NBA ring until Danny Ferry.) I have basketball cards of Mr. Mullins every year he played. (If they made cards that year) Weren't they the California Warriors then or had they not changed the name yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Just curious if someone could answer a quick question though. You guys keep talking about the Rick Barry Warriors team that won the championship in the 70's. Was Jeff Mulins on that team? (The last and only other Duke player to ever win an NBA ring until Danny Ferry.) I have basketball cards of Mr. Mullins every year he played. (If they made cards that year) Weren't they the California Warriors then or had they not changed the name yet?
    Mullins was on the team - 6th leading scorer and played 17+ mpg. It was the second to last year of his career, and the last where he played anything approaching meaningful minutes.

And they were never the California Warriors - they were the Philadelphia Warriors through 1962, then the San Francisco Warriors through 1971, and have been the Golden State Warriors ever since.

I'll give you pretty good. Any team that wins a championship series in 4 games (even if its 4 close games) is pretty good. Pulling best ever from that is a stretch. And saying that 4 close games is "wiping the floor" is similarly a stretch. And no, I'm not from Baltimore.
    When the other team is favored to win the series, and you take four straight, I call that "wiping the floor." However, I give you that the games were close. But, a W is a W is a W. I bet that a lot of money changed hands in Las Vegas over that serieis. Maybe "wiping the floor" is a stretch, but the result was a shock to many, even those of us who were Rick Barry fans from way back.
    Last edited by mgtr; 06-05-2008 at 03:13 AM. Reason: I misspelled "however"

My Bad

Mullins was on the team - 6th leading scorer and played 17+ mpg. It was the second to last year of his career, and the last where he played anything approaching meaningful minutes.

And they were never the California Warriors - they were the Philadelphia Warriors through 1962, then the San Francisco Warriors through 1971, and have been the Golden State Warriors ever since.
    Went back and looked at his cards and his 1969-70 card does say San Francisco warriors on it not California. Sue me, I was born in 1970 trying to remember things like Buffalo Braves and Carolina Cougars died at Carter Finley stadium durring a Pink Floyd concert. Yes pigs can fly.