Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

On which floor do you work?

This has been bugging me for weeks. I want to come up with the average floor level to which DBR posters work.

I would like a sample of at least 15 posters. From this mini-study, I will be able to calculate 1) the average floor level where we work and 2) the average height at which we work (using 15' as the average office height from floor to floor).

I, EarlJam, work on the 7th floor of my building. This puts me about 105 feet in altitude.

Please feel free to list which floor you work on every day.

Thank you so much.

Love,

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    This has been bugging me for weeks. I want to come up with the average floor level to which DBR posters work.

I would like a sample of at least 15 posters. From this mini-study, I will be able to calculate 1) the average floor level where we work and 2) the average height at which we work (using 15' as the average office height from floor to floor).

I, EarlJam, work on the 7th floor of my building. This puts me about 105 feet in altitude.

Please feel free to list which floor you work on every day.

Thank you so much.

Love,

-EarlJam
    3rd. 45 feet.

9th floor

If this is metro Atlanta, that's more like 1300-1400 feet.

Also, you may want to ask whether people's buildings have a 13th floor for responses >13.

I work on the 16th, in a building that does not have a 13th. Lake Michigan is at 579 AMSL, so that puts me around 740.

Nice and low on the 4th floor here in DC.

2nd floor, Fitzpatrick Institute = 30ft

5th floor, baby! And I wouldn't have it any other way. (either 40 or 50 feet, depending on which side of the building you fall out of.)

4th floor. UMSL is built on what was a golf course with a lot of elevation changes, but Google Earth leads me to believe my body is at about 640'.

Except when I'm working from home and then I'm on the 3rd floor. Which is about 100 feet lower, or something.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

2nd floor. I have no idea of the elevation - beyond the 15ft per floor issue. Are you judging the height based on where your feet are when you are in the office or where the top of your head is or where your ceiling is? Depending on the answer to this question - either 15ft, about 21 ft, or 30 ft.

Aren't you glad it's Friday afternoon?

58th. I don't know if my building has a 13th floor. I think that puts me higher than all prior posters combined.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    My grad student office on campus (does that count?) is on the fourth floor but my department is on the sixth. I teach on various floors. Maybe we should just go with my actual office.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    If this is metro Atlanta, that's more like 1300-1400 feet.

Also, you may want to ask whether people's buildings have a 13th floor for responses >13.

I work on the 16th, in a building that does not have a 13th. Lake Michigan is at 579 AMSL, so that puts me around 740.
    No way dude.

The Westin downtown in Atlanta is 723-feet tall and is 73 stories. This makes it only about 10 feet per floor. Office buildings tend to have more head space than hotels, with an avg. height of 15 or so feet.

I used to work for Winter Construction Company in Atlanta. These things I know (well, sort of. There are exceptions to every rule).

-EarlJam

36th in NYC.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Ground floor

The tallest building we have here at the beach is 4 floors. The people who work in that office are the only people I know personally who work above ground level. I'm obviously on the ground as well.

No way dude.

The Westin downtown in Atlanta is 723-feet tall and is 73 stories. This makes it only about 10 feet per floor. Office buildings tend to have more head space than hotels, with an avg. height of 15 or so feet.

I used to work for Winter Construction Company in Atlanta. These things I know (well, sort of. There are exceptions to every rule).

-EarlJam
    You're ignoring that the ground floor of my building is some 25-30 feet above Lake Michigan. I know it's that much becuase I'm right near the Chicago River, which is effectively the same elevation as the lake.

I always heard 11 feet between floors for commercial buildings.

580 + 25 + (11*14) = 759. Using 10-foot floors gives 745 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    You're ignoring that the ground floor of my building is some 25-30 feet above Lake Michigan.
    I'm not ignoring it. I just didn't know your building was near Lake Michigan. My God. Get off my BACK! Why are you being so MEAN to me!?

You cruel, insensitive, mango dangler. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus.

-EarlJam

P.S. Kidding

I work out of my house. My office is on the first floor, about 2.5 feet above ground level. I believe our "altitude", if I remember from my flying days, is 105' above msl.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

1st floor*, but moving up to the third (and a window office, yay!) next week.

I have no idea what the elevation is here.

(*building is built into a hill, so at the front of the building, it's "ground" level, but at the side where I am, I look up to see the street going by.)

I work on the first floor but live on the third floor for now.

4th floor, but a cube right across from my bosses window office. I'm the only person with P&L responsibility that doesn't have a window...sucks being the new guy when they ran out.