Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Who Needs Chemistry?

I'm afraid all this speculation is just wishful thinking by my fellow Duke fans.

Winning always seems to cure all ills and pounding a few cupcakes into oblivion at the start of the next season will quickly put any questions of unease to rest.

Lawson Article on DBR

C'mon guys, UNC fans are no different than us...

Are you telling me the average Duke fan isn't bitter at Corey Maggette and Luol Deng, much less Dunleavy...

I don't blame them for feeling a bit cheated, I know we always do when someone appears to use the system for their own good, throwing loyalty to the wind.

sure, until...

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I'm afraid all this speculation is just wishful thinking by my fellow Duke fans.

Winning always seems to cure all ills and pounding a few cupcakes into oblivion at the start of the next season will quickly put any questions of unease to rest.
    At some point next season UNC will be challenged. It may be just a game in January or in March. Either way, it will be interesting to see how the team responds. Green is making it very clear that he is auditioning for the NBA and has something to prove. If the rumors that Roy is insistant on Hans getting the ball most of the time and not passing out of double teams, I'm not sure Green can keep a lid on the frustration of not being allowed to showcase himself. He's already basically called out Roy. Pounding cupcakes early is just a band-aid. If UNC hits a rough patch look for some ugliness to surface.

If Green returns and Ellington doesn’t (the way I see it), he will start, play a bunch of minutes and get as many shots as he wants since neither Frasor nor Ginyard are gunners. Besides, Green didn’t exactly break any records for sharing the ball last year. Williams wants an inside-outside attack and I suspect that Hansbrough will take about the same amount of shots as he did last year. I think the chance that Green will be unhappy because he is not in the spotlight next year are remote because he will likely be their second leading scorer.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    C'mon guys, UNC fans are no different than us...

Are you telling me the average Duke fan isn't bitter at Corey Maggette and Luol Deng, much less Dunleavy...

I don't blame them for feeling a bit cheated, I know we always do when someone appears to use the system for their own good, throwing loyalty to the wind.
    Duke fans aren't all angels but UNC fans who supported Lawson then turn around and call him Joe Forte is a little over the top. Nobody's saying it's unnatural to feel a bit betrayed but there are different ways of dealing with it. I think the no-show vs. Kansas combined with the unexpected entries of Lawson, Ellington and Green, revealed a nasty side of UNC fans that we as Duke fans are aware of but it was something that was probably new to players like Lawson and Ellington. I can't speak on the Maggette and Dunleavy departures, but I was a sophomore when Luol left and most of the Duke fans I knew were pretty aware of the fact that Deng's decision was much deeper than "is my game ready for the next level?"

The only Duke example that comes even close to this is McRoberts and that wasn't just Duke fans saying negative things because they felt hurt; Duke fans said McRoberts had no business leaving because he really didn't have any business leaving. The last 11-12 months have confirmed that.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    If Green returns and Ellington doesn’t (the way I see it), he will start, play a bunch of minutes and get as many shots as he wants since neither Frasor nor Ginyard are gunners. Besides, Green didn’t exactly break any records for sharing the ball last year. Williams wants an inside-outside attack and I suspect that Hansbrough will take about the same amount of shots as he did last year. I think the chance that Green will be unhappy because he is not in the spotlight next year are remote because he will likely be their second leading scorer.

gw67
    The way he's been talking I'm not sure there are enough shots in a game for Green to get all he wants. If Ellington and Lawson are gone he'll get a bunch, but I expect him to press all season. From an outsider point of view it sounds like his dad has too much influence on him. Time will tell.

Chemistry problems seem to keep pouring out of the cornucopia of wishful thinking. I seem to read similar posts every year.

probably so

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    Chemistry problems seem to keep pouring out of the cornucopia of wishful thinking. I seem to read similar posts every year.
    I wouldn't be surprised if similar posts crop up each year, but when was the last time a UNC player called out his coach? Green definitely called Williams out with his "big three" comment. Perhaps this happens more frequently than I think but that comment seemed significant, especially when paired with the comments about Hans' family.

It's embarrasing when I think of the programs' dignity Dean spent so many years building being torned down by the allowed pre game antics.