Bruce Bowen learns from Battier

I caught a snippet of the last Lakers v. Spurs game. During the game Bruce Bowen, highly regarded for his defense, couldnt get a hand on the ball to block Kobe's jumpshot so instead he put a hand right in Kobe's face. The announcers said they had asked him about that before the game and Bowen replied he saw Battier do it in the Rockets series against Kobe. Pretty good credit to Shane when an old dog can learn new tricks.

I remember him pulling the hand in the face move many times during my time at Duke. Good to hear he's getting more cred for his D on some of the best players in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    I caught a snippet of the last Lakers v. Spurs game. During the game Bruce Bowen, highly regarded for his defense, couldnt get a hand on the ball to block Kobe's jumpshot so instead he put a hand right in Kobe's face. The announcers said they had asked him about that before the game and Bowen replied he saw Battier do it in the Rockets series against Kobe. Pretty good credit to Shane when an old dog can learn new tricks.

I remember him pulling the hand in the face move many times during my time at Duke. Good to hear he's getting more cred for his D on some of the best players in the NBA.
    I always thought that trick had been around a long time. It's a lot more legal than slightly nudging the elbow etc.

Yes, it is an old trick. I think I learned that in my church league games. Party why it was surprising to hear from a guy like Bowen is that he employs it because he saw Battier do it and have (relative) success.

I pulled that move over 20 years ago in high school, particularly to girls who were taller than me. I did not have great hops so preventing a good look is the next best thing to blocking the shot (which is pretty tough on a jump shot anyway).

I don't think the implication is that Battier invented the move or Bowen had never seen it before. I think Bowen was just saying that Battier demonstrated a lot of success against Kobe using that technique, so he decided to use it as well.

And how dare you make me hate Bowen slightly less? My hate for Bowen keeps me warm at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I always thought that trick had been around a long time. It's a lot more legal than slightly nudging the elbow etc.
    "more legal"?? Isn't that a "half-dead" type thing? (meaning either you're dead or alive, you can't be half-dead. something is either legal or not legal.)

i think I know what you meant but its entirely legal, whereas nudging the elbow (during the shot) is a foul, or entirely illegal.

I liked to start with my hand about a foot from the shooter's face, then make a quick swatting motion as if to slap the nose and eye area but stopping a few inches short of contact, just before the shot was released. Very annoying to the shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    "more legal"?? Isn't that a "half-dead" type thing? (meaning either you're dead or alive, you can't be half-dead. something is either legal or not legal.)

i think I know what you meant but its entirely legal, whereas nudging the elbow (during the shot) is a foul, or entirely illegal.
    Peter: How can you "half expect" something?

Lois: I don't know. It's just a turn of phrase.

Peter: How do you "turn a phrase"?

Sure, DBR protocal may be to quote the Simpsons in these situations, but surely Family Guy deserves some love.