Lady Devils on to the Sweet 16

That's 10 years in a row. WTG, Coach G!

Congrats Duke Women!

Defeating a tough Temple squad to move on to their 10th straight Sweet 16. This one didn't get "comfortable" until the last 2 minutes, thanks in part to Temple's tremendous determination and hustle (they seemed to beat us to most of the loose balls and rebounds until the latter minutes, when they seemed to run out of gas), and in part to a clunky second half by the Blue Devils. Unfortunately, neither Ali nor Abby played well; in the second half, Abby in particular suffered a series of pretty bad turnovers, while Ali and Nish missed a lot of layups. Fortunately, Lindsey was on fire in the first half, and we got enough defense to compensate for the offensive lapses in the second. But I don't know if we can afford to have both Ali and Abby perform like this against the higher-seeded teams we'll soon be facing and escape again. OTOH, the team showed strength and poise and versatility when Temple made a run, which bodes well. Survive and advance!

Stray ~~~;~~;~

nice win

glad lindsey was on. hope abby is ok. wanisha was solid and joy was a good answer. carrem was stellar. still miss chante. not sure why brittany gets so many minutes, thought bridgette could have helped us more.

We were lucky in this one...

Bales stayed in Durham I think. We lucked out IMO. The bench saved us...but we have to do a great deal better as things get tougher. Temple did play a gutty game; and they deserve credit for that. Had they not missed so many shots in the second half, I think the game would have certainly been even closer and possibly we would be looking at a defeat.

Nevertheless, we managed to win....double WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Duke women...and all the best to State too (and Kay Yow)!!!!!!

Thumbs up Congrats Duke Women - Sweet 16 Here We Come!

http://www.sportsline.com/ncaawbaske...0320_TEMP@DUKE

Survive and advance baby! Don't need to look that horse too closely in the mouth. We survived. Way to go Duke women! Good luck next week in Greensboro!

-bdbd

Survive and advance indeed - it's only halftime, but Maryland is getting housed by Mississippi.

Talking Brittany Mitch

She plays great defense--that was why she was playing!

Andy from Hillsborough

I am so glad they won. I couldn't leave the office at 2:00pm today- duh- so, really glad to hear the women got it done!

Go Duke.

This streak really underscores the scope of what Tennessee has done: they have never missed the s16. I mean, I know the women's game isn't as deep and all that, but still, holy cow.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Duke got a scare, but TN not much better/different

When Temple cut it to like 5 with maybe 6-7 minutes to go, I really was worried the ladies were coming unglued. But, of course, they held it together long enough (and tightened up the "D") to get the win. Someone else in this thread mentioned all the missed shots that Temple had that could have led to a different outcome. Well...what about all the chippies WE missed! I hate to sound like a sore winner, but we could have probably won this game by 18-22 points if we'd have shot FT's as well as we normally do and also made a few of those layups that we blew. I think you have to give a lot of credit to Coach Staley and the women of Temple for continuing to fight and not allowing us to win by that 18-22 pt margin.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    http://www.sportsline.com/ncaawbaske...0320_TEMP@DUKE

Survive and advance baby! Don't need to look that horse too closely in the mouth. We survived. Way to go Duke women! Good luck next week in Greensboro!

-bdbd

Correct. But it is now going to be more difficult to survive. Somewhere, someone wrote about the removal of potential roadblock Vandy from the mix--I would much rather play the larger and slower Vandy than Bowling Green. BG is improving--their confidence factor is off the charts.

Sweet 16

When did the Women's tourney expand. Wasn't in in the mid-90's? Before that, what did it take to reach the sweet 16? Did the Women's tourney start with more than 16 teams - back in the 80's?

In the Men's tourney, when Wooden won many of his tourneys, it seems to me (subject to obvious correction) that it was a 16 team tourney.

Wiki says:

* 1982-1985: 32 teams
    * 1987-1988: 40 teams
    * 1989-1993: 48 teams
    * 1994-present: 64 teams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Wo...l_Championship

So presumably, one win to the s16 in period I, two wins for seeds below 6 in period II, two wins for seeds below 4 in period III, and two wins for everyone since then.

I suppose you could say UTK has really only "made the s16" (in the modern sense) 13 consecutive times, i.e., since 1994.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 03-21-2007 at 04:37 PM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Wiki says:

* 1982-1985: 32 teams
    * 1987-1988: 40 teams
    * 1989-1993: 48 teams
    * 1994-present: 64 teams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Wo...l_Championship

So presumably, one win to the s16 in period I, two wins for seeds below 6 in period II, two wins for seeds below 4 in period III, and two wins for everyone since then.

I suppose you could say UTK has really only "made the s16" (in the modern sense) 13 consecutive times, i.e., since 1994.
    Thanks for the facts, Throaty!

Probably more relevant to valuing Duke's 10 in a row is that the Women's game has become (at least in my estimation) much deeper, more balanced over the past 10-15 years. Of course, this makes Tennessee's continuing streak even more impressive.

Still, at a time of increasing competition, Coach G has made Duke (out of relatively nowhere) into one of the few perennially great women's programs. I just so hope that she can add a National Championship to her resume in the (very) near future, as this is the main thing keeping her from hall of fame-type status. Of course, a certain Coach K needed an impressive/frustrating streak of a few final four disappointments before breaking through.

Go Coach G!!!! Go Lady Devils!!!! Go Duke!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!